need major help sparring

flyingknee16 said:
now that i think about it, i used to be like that in submission wrestling but as i did it more and more i got better at it. i kick ass when im on the mat though XD heheh. i still am kinda gentle when it comes to newbs or when the other guy goes light too.

practice will make me hit harder i think (stand up).

this is true.....but getting used to stand up is a lot tougher......in grappling you dont have to deal with the stigma of getting hit.

I had a problem with getting hit in the face when I was younger, because the first time I ever sparred with face attacks allowed, I got nailed hard right on my nose. Bled and hurt for days. Major negative conditioning.

Now I'm better at taking hits, but I still fear getting tagged right on the button.

Try letting someone just fucking hit you a few times. Keep your posture and head position, hands up, and let a fucker punch you. After, switch places. Truly though, if you are afraid to punch or get punched, you might want to think about getting a new hobby.

i trained some more stand up today and i was feeling pretty good about it and my trainers said i'm getting better.

do you guys all wear headgear when you spar? because i ihave never worn headgear before when i sparred. just gloves and mouthguard. they said it was unecessary unless we were going to spar hard.

sasquatch989 said:
Try letting someone just fucking hit you a few times. Keep your posture and head position, hands up, and let a fucker punch you. After, switch places. Truly though, if you are afraid to punch or get punched, you might want to think about getting a new hobby.

once my adrenaline gets running or i get hit then im usually fine, especially if we are punching on the ground (jiu jitsu with punches/ground and pound), and i do end up wailing or getting wailed on, no problem, but it's just standing up i still feel uncomfortable with throwing down.

All I can say then is relax and let your hands go. Try sparring with jabs only for a few rounds. That is how I start every sparring session and it always seems to get me in a sparring mood. The hits don't hurt and it "wakes up" those mental operations before getting into the good stuff.

Just wanted to add, if you have a good sparing partner, the contact at first should be just nice that you can feel the hit but not get to hurt. This way you can work your way up to it. Find a good training partner ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back