Need help with weight loss

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by Golden Loki***, Sep 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Golden Loki***

Golden Loki*** Banned Banned

Hi, guys. I just started to diet and exercise to lose weight. I am 5'10 and weigh 181 lbs. I want to get to 160. I'm skinny everywhere but I have belly fat that protrudes a bit too much. Looks like a fanny pack when i sit down. I'm just looking to lose weight.. not looking to gain muscle. I just want a flat stomach basically.

Anyway, here is what I've been doing. I've been eating raisin bran for breakfast and the same for lunch. I eat a foot long Subway sandwich for dinner. Cereal is at 130 calories each and the Subway sandwich is at 380 calories. I also drink a lot of water and besides the food I mentioned, I eat nothing else. I think Im overdoing it but I just want to lose weight fast then slow down a bit.

As for exercise, I've been running and walking for 2 miles a day, 5 days a week. I run then switch to walking when I get tired then back to riunning again when I regain my stamina. The treadmil says I lost around 260 calories after the 2 miles is over.

I know I'm probably doing everything wrong. Also I'm getting sick of eating cereal. What do you guys think about white steamwd rice?

I'm new at this so I'll need advice.

2. pliftkl

pliftkl Green Belt

There's a thread at the top of this forum entitled "D&S FAQ & Useful Threads: Read before posting". It may have several useful links for you.

3. CombatCyborg

CombatCyborg Black Belt

Lift weights three times a week.

Eat fewer carbohydrates and more protein, while keeping your daily calories below maintanence level.

4. Stungun101

Stungun101 Red Belt

That's a assload of carbs.

A whole subway bun? Ugh.

If you must eat cereal eat rice or corn based, not wheat --- especially not rasin bran which has high fructose corn syrup in it. Try "Corn Bran Squares", it has minimal garbage in it and minimal refinement, for a cereal anyway.

BTW, everyone gets a "fanny-pack effect" when they sit down and lean the wrong way, flat stomach or not.

5. KMisajet

KMisajet Green Belt

You need to eat more. By only eating that much your metabolism is probably almost completely shut down. When was the last time you took a shit dude? Eat six or seven small meals a day that are mostly protein. When you eat fat try and make sure it is monounsaturated fat. Monos are found in such things as nuts, olive oil etc. You don't have to cut carbs but it has helped me. White rice is nutritionally bankrupt and is mainly just filler. This is why there is such an abundance of it at Chinese buffets. Try to increase your fiber intake. It helps you feel fuller longer. The same is true for protein and mono fats. If you keep up with the diet you are currently on you will drop weight, but it will be because your body is using muscles as fuel. Your body will also store fat and that pooch may get worse. Search Google for a maintenance body weight calculator. This will have you input your height, weight and how much you workout. Then you will know exactly how many calories a day you would need to eat to maintain your weight and you can cut from there.

6. NComo

NComo Orange Belt

take your fingers and stick them down your throat :icon_chee

7. ColonelAngus1

ColonelAngus1 Black Belt

Holy crap you need to eat more. At the very least you need 1000 calories a day, especially if you're exercising.

If you're going to stick with the "Subway" diet, at the very least make sure you're eating whole wheat bread and not white bread. At least the whole wheat bread has some fiber. You also need more fat and protein in your diet.

Honestly, you just need a lot of help. Picking up a simple book like Eat to Live might be a good start.

8. Golden Loki***

Thanks for the kind replies, guys. I've been using whole wheat on my Subway sanwiches.

What do you guys think of steak and rice diet? Im used to eating everything with rice and my sister gets free steak at her workplace. I can eat filet mignon every day if I want to.

9. KMisajet

KMisajet Green Belt

Steak is good cause it will add protein and not carbs. Another thing I forgot to mention is make sure you have a good variety. Most diets fail because they become boring and people lose interest, not because they don't work.

10. pliftkl

pliftkl Green Belt

It seems lacking in vegetables and fruit.

Have you read the FAQ?

11. Golden Loki***

What's better? Steak and rice or steak and mashed potatoes? Despite having no nutrients, is there anything else bad about rice? I kind of dont want to give it up.

12. KMisajet

KMisajet Green Belt

I am pretty sure mashed potatoes have more potassium than rice. This would help if you are worried about blood pressure because of high sodium intake, but I doubt you are. if you are eating steak from a restaurant watch out cause they tend to use a shitload of added salt in seasonings. The guy that mentioned fruits and vegetables is right too. Apples, bananas and blueberries are what I like, but there really aren't any bad fruits. Vegetables are the same way. Try making stir frys with peppers, onions etc. and you can keep rice as a side item. Drink low sodium V8 if you don't want to eat more vegetables. Try basmati, brown and wild rice as well. More nutrients and I think better taste.

13. pliftkl

pliftkl Green Belt

White rice and mashed potatoes are probably nutritional equivalents from a carbohydrate perspective. You don't have to give up rice. Your diet is going to ultimately be about burning more than you take in. If you can do that with rice and get all the nutrients you need, then there's no reason to cut it from your diet unless you want to start playing with your body's response to sugars (which you may ultimately want to do if you have trouble losing weight).

14. WorldofWarcraft

WorldofWarcraft Holy Paladin Banned

I marinade my steaks with soy sauce and worcestershire sauce. Sodium is probably very high. You guys got any good steak marinade tips for low sodium? Any good steak sauces so I don't have to marinade?

15. KMisajet

KMisajet Green Belt

Try garlic and olive oil. The olive oil will sear the juices in and I like the taste of garlic. Lime juice can be played with as well. There are a couple of bbq sauces from a place called Bandana's out of Missouri that taste great and aren't high sodium. You can order all of their sauces from their website. If the health info isn't on the website I can give you the low sodium ones when I get home in a couple hours.

16. WorldofWarcraft

WorldofWarcraft Holy Paladin Banned

Awesome, that'd be cool. What do you think about A1 steak sauces?

17. KMisajet

KMisajet Green Belt

The Bandana's that is low sodium is Memphis style. A1 is about average as far as sauces go, but you can find better options. It has 280 mg of sodium per serving. Wasting more than ten percent of your daily sodium intake on a steak sauce is kind of a waste.

18. GJJNY

GJJNY Purple Belt

He's eating 640 calories a day. 640. Think about that.

Recommending a 'steak and rice diet', really, is this what this forum has come to? Fuck.

19. Golden Loki***

I' going to start changing my diet starting today. Going to eat oats with bananas for breakfast and mix it up with other fruits every once in awhile. No idea what to go for for lunch. Something high protein with veggies and some fruit for desert and steak and rice foe dinner.

Or I'll supllement myself with V8 low sodium because I can't stand veggies. Also maybe that 2 fruit a day drink. What do you guys think about those?

20. immovablestone

immovablestone Purple Belt

You can lose weight doing this, but it's not much healthier than catching a wasting illness...

Eat clean animal proteins, animal fats, and a vegetables at every meal, as your base. If this isn't possible now, work towards it from what you are doing now.

You could also read the FAQ, it's great, and it's there for a reason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.