need help with the attack....boxing

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by half light, Jan 14, 2015.

1. half light

half light White Belt

hello guys,

first i would like to say that English is not my first language,so sorry for any mistakes...

i still very new to the boxing but i m already in a very good shape because of it,one issue that i m dealing with and have not noticed till i started sparring was me being to shy to attack my sparring partner,sometimes i feel some opening or a guy covering up and i keep staring without launching any punches,my coach would scream'' throw punches,throw the damn punch'' ......all my sparring partners have told me that i have a good defense compared to someone new but they also say '' why do you stare or free when we cover up,dude try to throw punches ...''

i m wondering if any of you guys has experienced something like that or had trained someone with that issue,any tips,recommendations or drills will be so appreciated.

thanks a lot

2. StopDucking

StopDucking Ronda Rousey hater

All I ever do in the ring is running and jabbing. Why on earth would I waste my energy hitting somebody for free? As long as I'm not getting hit, I'm happy.

3. facePuncher7

facePuncher7 Founder of the militant wing of the Salvation Army

I've seen some beginners do that before, I think experience has a lot to do with it but more to the point - some people just don't have the aggressive instincts.

4. AllKickboxing

AllKickboxing White Belt

Great question half light! On one hand, you shouldn't go too hard to hurt your friends and training partners, as well as yourself. However, you can't go too light and not have a meaningful sparring match. I feel that with time and experience, you'll be able to better control the level of sparring intensity. Experience and training will allow you to throw strikes with minimal power, but at the same time, good form. You'll become more in control of your attacks and focus on the details of what make great strikers, such as timing and accuracy. With time, you'll also recognize when your opponent is going hard and match his intensity. But, I hope your gym doesn't encourage wars to break out in sparring sessions. Such environments can lead to unnecessary damage to fighters. Also, you will get to know each of your sparring partners more with time and understand how each of them spars. Talk to them one day about what you both want to get out of a sparring session.

In the video below, check out how the great Giorgio Petrosyan spars and take elements out of it: control, precision, technique. Never recklessness.
    Hope this helped! You can skip to 3min and 59 sec to see him spar.

[YT]ZLJcciett8M&feature=youtu.be&t=3m59s[/YT]

5. half light

half light White Belt

guys is there any drill or tips to solve or work on that issue?

6. PivotPunch

PivotPunch Red Belt

Because it is boxing? In the end the aim is to hit the other guy as often as psosible while minimizing the damage you take.

It isn't about "hit and don't get hit" yes but only in theory in reality it is hit the other guy as many times more often and harder than he hits you whether you do it offensively by hitting him more often harde or defensively by making it super tough for him to hit you but in the end it's always about hitting the other guy.

Even great defensive boxers had very good or at least efficient offense Whitaker was a great counterpuncher sow as Toney and Mayweather's offensive also gets oevrlooked often everyone always concentrates on how to hit him but not how to avoid getting hit by him.

Sugar Ray Leonard:"Boxers get hit - good boxers don't get hit as much"

7. TheFinerDetails

TheFinerDetails Orange Belt

Wouldn't this insinuate that the best boxer is he who doesn't get hit at all?

8. Phlog

Phlog Dad Belt

The issue is psychological, you need to believe in your self, that you deserve to be there. Currently you are letting the other person lead.

Try visualising you attacking for 10 min before you go to sleep everyday this week, imagine going on the offensive, laying feints and seeing openings. Repeat yes to yourself 20 times before sparring.

Have a plan for when you freeze, ie that you will jab when nothings happening and see what opens up.

Let me know how you do in a weeks time.

9. PivotPunch

PivotPunch Red Belt

Unless youa re fighting someone totally overmatched everyone gets hit and even in mismatches the other guy lands a few shots. Alex Leapai I believe landed like 1 punch each round vs Klitschkoa nd that was Alex fucking Leapai.
    SRL was the best at one point and is an ATG and he made that quote if he doesn't know who does.

10. Tug

Tug Green Belt

just keep at it, it will get better with time and you will come out your shell. if you've never been punched before it is very hard to get used to - i was in tatters after my first big sparring session, but i got used to it fairly quickly and i've grown to love it. in the meantime ask people to go slower/lighter on you and explain that you're new and still getting used to it.

11. GoatyP

GoatyP Blue Belt

happens to everyone new. just keep at it. dont worry about getting beat up either. it will make you tougher.