1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

need help with reworking squat day due to knee pain

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Real LoveGun, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Real LoveGun

Real LoveGun Blue Belt

ok so i used to post here for a while and keep a log, and then i kinda got lazy and stopped posting and being consistant. what i learned is doing a 5/3/1 program half ass and eating like you did when you were on it makes you fat. so im trying to do my old program but have run into a problem, knee pain with squats. this was a problem when i did it before which prob contributed to me being lazy and stopping. so im just not gonna squat for a while, but still want to have that day in my routine.

i have 4 days. bench press with assistance and back exercises. push press with assistance and back exercises. snatch, dead lift with assist exercises. power cleans, squat with assistance exercises.

so im thinink bw 1 leg squats for a while, with lunges, and maybe leg extensions and some biking. far cry from a real squat day but i see no other choice. any thoughts/advice would be helpful. oh yea the pain is in the front and outside of lt knee. doesn't hurt much but cant see it getting better and weight is staying the same or going down. i make sure to sit back and push knees out with squats. never had a problem until i started going to parallel but cant see any other way to squat now.

2. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

Can you see a sports medicine Doctor?
    Are you able to squat without knee pain at lighter weights?
    Do you squat low bar or high bar? What type of shoes?
    Is the pain only with squats, and no other exercises?
    A form check would still be a good idea, so can you post a video?
    Do you have access or can you get access to a prowler or weight sled?

3. joho

joho Guest

Have you seen a doctor yet? Or physiotherapist....
    as for correct form, go talk to your local gym rat/ gym assistant to check on form.

4. Real LoveGun

Real LoveGun Blue Belt

hey man thanks. right now knee is pretty sore but bw squats are usually ok. cannot post a video dont know how. running shoes is all i own. high bar squats could try low bar. fuck would love to have access to a prowler or sled do not currently. joining a new gym this month but doubt it will have them but ill check. thats a great idea. (conditioning sucks ass)

5. Real LoveGun

Real LoveGun Blue Belt

also i dont think i need to see a dr rigth now, as normally knees feel fine just hurts with heavy squatting.

6. joho

joho Guest

Try a physiotherapist instead then. Work cardio sprints =P Use a rowing machine if your gym has one. Rowing machines are all legs, and with the extra resistance, and since its not working against gravity, there is less pressure on your knees. Try for a 30 sec sprint/60 second light rowing, and repeat.

7. Real LoveGun

Real LoveGun Blue Belt

yea i was doing lots of squats like 6 months ago. really havent done all that much since. it hurt then and it hurts now. it was only my 2nd real squat session back to trying to do them. i was also surpisingly weak at them which tells me i should stop which is what im doing. im just looking to suppliment that day as they are one of the main lifts. i first noticed pain doing front squats like 6 months ago now that i think about it, which was cracking at frist which got painful. id just assume leave the squatting out for a while at least.

8. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

I have several thoughts, in no particular order

(1) Get yourself some chucks to lift in. It may, or may not be related to your knee pain, but it's a good idea regardless.
    (2A) Even if you can't squat heavy without knee pain, it would be good to include some light squats.
    (2B) Learn to squat low bar. It puts more emphasis on the posterior chain, and less emphasis on the knees.
    (3) Step-ups and GMs would be easier on the knees than the exercises you listed, as well as being closer to a substitute (although there is no real substitute)
    (4) If your having recurring pain with a basic lift like squats, it's something you should address, and the first step in doing so is seeing a sports medicine doctor. This is especially true see you've had this issue for 6 months despite be lazy and taking it easy.
    (5) Consider buying knee sleeves.
    (6) You post a video by taking the video with a digital camera, uploading the file onto your computer, then from your computer to youtube. Then you bump this thread with the video, embedding it by typing

9. Real LoveGun

Real LoveGun Blue Belt

WARM UP is 5 minutes of bike, then a warmup from this sports conditioning gym i used to go to. dont know the names of all the exercises but here goes. one leg jump skips, back and forth shuffles, the thing where you run side ways crossing legs over each other capawera or some shit. overhead walking lunges, side lunges. then the thing were you start in like downward facing dog and walk up through your hands. i guess its just kinda a dynamic stretching warmup. i also do some knee and hip circles usually. and then a warmup set with the bar and one with 135. what are your thoughts on the one leg squats, wouldn't they help with stability? also its worth noting we all have oa in my family so my back and shoulders also hurt from time to time.

10. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

One legged squats are a good exercise. However they could put more stress on your knees than regular squats (once your good enough at them to do a significant amount of weight and/or reps). As for stability, they will improve balance if that's what you mean Whether that's a priority for you or not...

11. Real LoveGun

Real LoveGun Blue Belt

ok thanks tosa lots of good ideas you have given me.