Need help with my workout (Fighters)

The op just gradually got phased out of the discussion as more intelligent people began to speak, thankfully.

For the sake of shoulder health, I don't know that you can suggest Overhead press without accessing him. Especially with benching and all the punching he's going to be doing.

First off, I have no desire to "access him" so let's not go there, k?

Did he say anything about shoulder health? He wants a strength training regimen to support his fighting and based on the OP (below), he's already doing more pressing than what I suggested. In fact, my suggestion was to reduce his strength training from 5 days/wk to 2. Not sure why you didn't just direct your post to the TS from the outset if you were concerned (or the 5 other posters recommending pressing and more intensive programs than the 2-day split).:icon_conf

I'm competing in an amateur MMA fight in January and I want to be the best I can be. I understand training and sparring are a big part but I know the gym is as well.

I go to the gym 5 days a week, it looks like this
Monday -Chest/Tris/Abs
Tuesday - Back/Bi's
Wednesday - Legs/Abs
Thursday - Shoulders
Friday - Arms

Is there any types of workouts I should focus on these days, and any I should steer clear from?

You're right, I don't like most of them. I'm sure this is going to get a bunch of negative responses since it seems like it's the only way to talk around here. But, I just find the 3 day work outs so short ya know? I mean I guess if they are proven to work, they work. Just seems like I should be doing more than 3X5 sets and 3 work outs. But if that's what I have to do that's what i'll do. I just want to move my mma game to another level. I've read books and stuff but a lot of the exercises I can't do in our gym because the aerobic room is always in use. So I was hoping someone here would provide me with their workout plan, didn't think it would be this difficult hahah. Someone did at the beginning though and I wrote that down though so I guess i'll give that a shot next week.

The thing is, they do work. If you are in the gym 5 times a week curling, you won't get much stronger. If you follow Starting Strength or Stronglifts, increase your weight each time, eat a boatload and give yourself enough rest time, in 9 months' time you'll be squatting 300lbs and deadlifting 350.

A couple of things to bear in mind:

1. The 3x5 or 5x5 or whatever is the 'work sets'. You also do warmup sets. I usually do 2x5 with an empty bar, then 2x4, 2x3, then 2x2 and 2x1, working up to 60% of the weight I will do for the 'work sets'. That adds some time,
2. Usually it's encouraged to do the sets all together, i.e. not to break them up by going onto the next exercise. This makes it harder, and requires rest periods.

For conditiong, try sprints, barbell complexes, burpees. Or better still, read the conditioning FAQ.

I missed this earlier.

I don't want to write off his methods entirely...I want to be open minded. It's just that there's a well established science and way of doing things that works very well for pretty much everyone. So I'm going to be skeptical until there's an empirical evidence of it being a generally succesful training methodology for a signifcant number of lifters and, ideally, some sort of explanation of why it works, and why training through overtraining works...and also something suggesting that it's in some way superior to existing training methodology.

Overtraining can be an excuse, but at the same time, it's a real condition. How to Stimulate strength gains while avoiding excess fatigue accumulation is a central concern when it comes to getting stronger.

I think that's completely reasonable. I am personally just intrigued by what he has going on and eventually plan to slowly introduce elements into my training when I feel the time is right.

But to the point of this thread, I think it's poor advice to suggest Broz' model for someone who wants to prepare for their first fight in January. Strength training should take a back seat.

So after all the arguing and bitching, is there anyone I can private message who I cn talk to back and forth about a 2 or 3 day workout for myself based on what I have available to me?

I don't care about hearing "READ THIS, DO THIS" blah fuckin blah, just because some of you here would rather spend your time insulting than actually helping, doesn't mean everyone is like that.

For functional training/mma combat/nutritional/supplement advice feel free to PM Zerocrew1984. If you are a serious athlete you should be prepared to tip $1-$5 via paypal for a speedy response.

So after all the arguing and bitching, is there anyone I can private message who I cn talk to back and forth about a 2 or 3 day workout for myself based on what I have available to me?

I don't care about hearing "READ THIS, DO THIS" blah fuckin blah, just because some of you here would rather spend your time insulting than actually helping, doesn't mean everyone is like that.

What's the expression about some people see crumbs and treat it like a banquet? You have been given a banquet and don't even know it.

I will pay Doc np. Like I said, i just want someone to lay me out a 3 day workout they use. but that seems incredibly difficult for everyone on here so I'm just going to look elsewhere.

with this one below. Could I consider day 1 and day 2 as an A and B workout, and do Monday - A. wednesday B, Friday A?

Day one:
Squat
Bench press
Bent over row

Day two:
Deadlift (rotate with Power Cleans)
Overhead press
Weighted pullup/chinup

Telling somone to read a FAQ isn't an insult....

Let us know how this fight goes... I don't think you should even be picking up a strength training program this close to a fight. You should focus on cardio. Look into strength training after.

I've changed your exercises to whats relevant.
day 1:
squat: 5x5
overhead press: 5x5
deadlift: 5x5
Chins max x3 with 1 min break inbtw

day2
squat: 5x5
bench press: 5x5
Inverted rows: 5x5
Pullups max x3 with 1 min break inbtw

add 5 pounds every workout to every excercise except for pulls/chins until you hit 15 reps on said pulls/chins.

If you stall/form is crap, stay at the same weight. If you stall 3 times in a row, deload 20%, and start adding from there again.

Start at 70-80% of your 1rm.

Do your conditioning (running, skipping, shadowboxing, etc) after.

You should be doing ring training too, get 2 days of rest. Focus on your cardio if your fight is in January, you don't have enough time to actually make significant strength gains, you'll push yourself too fast and just end up hurting yourself/your performance.

Learn to comprehend. You are perceived as an idiot, not because you are illiterate, but rather due to the fact that you're an ignorant asshole. Like Koscheck, but without any redeeming qualities.

do crossfit brah

thanks joho, thats all i asked for lol

I also noticed the Sheiko 13 week workout...anyones thoughts and opinions on that?

Hallowe'en Dance Party!!!

hawaiian-ninja-of-liberty-dance.gif

SkeletonDance.gif
MummyDance.gif
Animated_Mummy_Funny-5.gif

this is some heavyweight-thread type shit going on in here.

I'm surprised that people are even advocating him to try and gain strength 3 months out from a fight. It'll take a good month to even get form down pat.

Also, a LOT of decent routines have been laid out on a silver platter for you and you still want to tweak them? You're better off choosing the first decent routine you see, and doing it. You're not getting any stronger arguing on the internet. As long as you're doing the few things in the FAQ you'll be fine no matter what type of routine you choose. Anything is an upgrade over your original "workouts".

We're all for helping out fighters prepare for fights but if you are too lazy to read the damn FAQ before engaging in a 10 page argument/borderline flame-war, maybe you don't deserve the right to post topics.

I'm honestly surprised that this thread isn't locked yet.

deserve the right? its a free forum. if people don't like my questions than why bother replying?

Back