Need help with my Sets and Reps for new workout?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by MTBJJ1249, Jul 13, 2010.

1. MTBJJ1249 White Belt

My Goal is to get as strong as possible without putting on weight. I have been doing Bill Starr 5x5 for the past month or so while i have been training and like it but will have more time to power lift when school starts in September.

I'm 6'4 230 lbs and have been training in bjj for a few months and want to compete around 225 since that is the normally the cut off to the unlimited weights. I've been lurking through this forum for a while and put this workout together using nothing other then the FAQ.

Can i get some advice for what kind of sets and reps i should be using? Thanks guys

Monday
    Deadlift
    Overhead press
    Weighted pullup/chinup
    Full Contact Twists, 3 x 6
    Russian Twists on Ball, 3 x 8

Tuesday
    Day two:
    Front Squat or Lunges
    Benchpress
    Dumbell Bent over row
    Pillar Bridges, 2 x 40 seconds
    Quadruped Navel Draws, 3 x 8 (with 5 second holds)
    Plate Grip 3 x Fail

Thursday
    Romainian Deadlift or Hang Clean
    Overhead press
    Weighted pullup/chinup
    Bent Presses, 3 x 6
    Side Bends, 3 x 8

Friday
    Squat
    Dumbell or Incline Benchpress
    Bent over row
    Decline Bench Reverse Crunches, 3 x 10
    Standing Cable Crunches, 3 x 8
    Plate Grip 3 x Fail

EDIT: I'm 22, i have been playing sports all my life and have some background in strength training.

My 1 rep maxes are
    Bench 250ish
    Squat 375ish
    Deadlift 430ish
    Hang Clean 225ish

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  2. BrassBalls Banned Banned

withouth percentages and a rep scheme for the main lifts, it is hard to know what the fuck you are doing.

edit: never mind, but i am not experienced enough to add much. Looks like you might be over doing the pressing though.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  3. MTBJJ1249 White Belt

Isn't that what i asked about? I'm not sure what rep scheme or the percentages i was hoping for some help with that

4. BrassBalls Banned Banned

hence the edit. Like I said I don't feel comfortable in critiquing at this point.

5. Baconator69** Banned Banned

how does a 5x5 take more time then one of these workouts? You say you will have more time to powerlift when you go back to school. MAKE TIME TO POWERLIFT NOW. No time is a weak ass excuse.

6. MTBJJ1249 White Belt

I am powerlifting now, 3 days a week at 6:30 AM and will be doing the 5x5 till september rolls around. I lift in the mornings then work all day and train bjj at night. When i am at school i have more free time because i do not work and there are no bjj schools that are close enough to train at.

Edit:I'm just asking what kind of sets and reps i should be doing, if there are flaws in my program(which there probably are i'm not an expert) help me out please.

7. CrazyNutz White Belt

People will be able to help you better with a little more info to see how far progressed you are.

What are your current 1RM records for the main lifts?

How long have you been lifting? Is it only the 1 month of 5 X 5?

8. Tosa Red Belt

I think you're better off figuring out how you are going to train individual lifts (I.e. the reps, sets, intensity, progression) first, and then planning out when you're going to do each lifts. Otherwise your reps, sets, intensity and progression are all dictated (to a degree) by which exercises you do, and when.

9. DrBdan Something clever

Boring answer: why not do an existing program? If you want to lift 4 days/week the 5/3/1 might be a good fit. If you don't like the idea of doing the high rep sets look into the Matt Rhodes variation of the 5/3/1 that drops the rep-out sets and adds heavy singles.

You can probably use a lot of the same exercises but organize them differently to fit into the 5/3/1 framework. Right now it seems like you have exercises all over the place and are basically doing a full body routine every day.

10. MTBJJ1249 White Belt

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction, i did a little research and found Jim Wendler's 5/3/1. It is a 4 day workout and looks to be perfect for what I'm trying to do. Thanks for your help.