Need help with Lockdown pass / counters

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Darren350z, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Darren350z

Darren350z White Belt

Sorry if there is a previous thread about this. I did a search and could only find posts about how to attack from lockdown.

Last night I was training with a guy with crazy strong legs and he has recently discovered the lockdown. Well he basically held me there for the entire round. I was trying anything just to get him to release. I had an underhook, I tried to pass his lapel under and over, I tried to switch my base LOL nothing was working and he just insisted on holding me there.

I saw Erik Paulson's counters and I will be trying them tonight. I also saw Ari Bolden's defense =/ but I'm skeptical about some his stuff and I know how Sherdog feels about Ari LOL.

Also we were training with gis, and Erik's and Ari's were no gi. If anyone can link me to some good videos or give me any pointers, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and thank you in advance for any of the responses.

2. anaconda

anaconda Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Instead of moving forwards, move backwards.

Slide your hips back, keep your head down, and lock your hands around the guys legs as close down to his knees as possible. Use your free leg to block is bottom leg, then kick the trapped leg back like a mule to break his lockdown.

Works like a charm. There are a bunch of details which help this pass, but I'm too lazy to type them out. Try it out and ask a higher belt to give you some pointers.

3. cooltoon999

cooltoon999 Orange Belt

Do a roll over your shoulder in the direction of the side of the leg thats being lockdown'd, you'll end up being in a position to calf crush, it's hard to explain without a video..

4. MUFC

MUFC Brown Belt

Fold your leg under you when you pass HG. That way, it is much harder to get stuck in a lockdown. It also helps against leg switch sweeps.

5. newerest

newerest Purple Belt

if you have head an arm control do not let go of it. use your leg that is not trapped to pry your other leg off.

if you have double underhooks and they put you in the lockdown you can gable grip under their butt and just sprawl out. becareful with this one tho you gotta let go of their upper body to do this one and you need to be fast or else they'll get the double underhooks which is a very bad battle to be fighting..

6. TalkShowOnMute

TalkShowOnMute dancingonthecorpsesashes

7. Galahad

Galahad Orange Belt

TBH....I just do the pass where you face their legs.

8. Shemhazai

Shemhazai Black Belt

This. Works great against a Z-guard/knee shield as well.

9. fourfif**

fourfif** Banned Banned

I do these two. they both work great.

the second one not so dramatically. I just post my leg and sink back and it generally is pretty painful for the other guy. I never thought to stand up with it because overall it's fairly easy to just bend your knee and instantly the lockdown is gone.