need help with legs

lparnes

White Belt
Reaction score
well the title pritty much sums it all up. iv been having trouble with my legs for bout 15 years now (15 years old btw). when i was first born had major surgery on both feet. need casts on both for my first 3 years of life. my legs are now really small and no madder how hard i train them they dont grow. my legs are really small compared to the rest of my body and if anyone knows any really good exersices to make my legs grow i will deaply apriseat it. spelled some stuff wrong sorry bout that.

Dont worry about appearance.I think getting into a good strength program that includes heavy squats will help you acheive some goals.

i can squat to an exstent but once i get bout 10 degrees to parallel, but after that i lose my balance. but for the squat sitting machine thing i can do way more than my friends. all 3 of you thank you for posting this stuff i greatly appriciate it.

If you are physically able to squat, then I agree it should be a staple of your routine, but by no means should you start heavy on the squat(unless you like bein injured). Learn the basics of how to squat. Once you've got the form down, gradually increase intensity(weight) and volume(sets/reps). On top of that, supplement it with a variety of other leg moves such as lunges, stiff-legged deadlifts(start light on this one as well), and calf-raises. Just remember to start with the squat and dont try to do much weight or too many sets to begin with. It will most likely just confuse your body. The slower you start, the faster the gains will come later. Good luck.

For lifting, the best exercises would be squating and deadlifts. If you don't feel comfortable doing this, try running a lot of sprints, and do jump squats if that feels alright and you feel stable. You don't always need weights for the best results and strength gains, but it certainly helps

also i suppose i should have been a bit more specific when i said legs, my quads and upper leg muscles are fine i can do squats just cant keep balance, but my probelm is in the calfs and the feet muscles. sorry should of been more specific my bad.

Heres a sample leg day based what youve said:

Warm-up: 5 min of light cardio, 2 sets of 10 reps of bw squats

Weights: Squats-3 sets of 10 reps of about 50% of your one-rep max
Stiffleg deadlift-3 sets of 10 reps, 30-40% of one-rep max(want to
especially light on this one
standing calf raise- 5 sets of 20-25 reps of bodyweight to help u with
balance.

As I said earlier, gradually increase the number of sets and the poundage as u see fit, and I would add in a lunge or possibly leg press after a few months.

if you can't squat do other things that use your legs. ultimate frisbee/soccer basketball, you might suck at them but they will make you better. I'm a big fan of ultimate frisbee.

can you even do a squatting motion with super light weight? the barbell complexes found in the FAQ are really good way to exercise your body and your legs. its basically a under load cardio workout. Not as good at developing strength as weightlifting but a step in the right direction.

if you can do single leg squats put your hands on something and do them. Depending on what you need left/right front/back balance your hands can provide it. down the road you should be working to no assistence (you will probably need help at the beginning) and not touching whatever your hands are around for balance.

yeah best suggestion I have is single leg squats it allows your hands to be involved for balance and taking some weight off, so that your legs can gradually progress. other than that. a lot of stability comes from your back deadlift.

i can squat to an exstent but once i get bout 10 degrees to parallel, but after that i lose my balance.

If you can't/don't learn how to squat correctly (which means to proper depth) you'll lose out on one of the best tools to get stronger/bigger. Can you:

(1) Do a bodyweight squat to proper depth?
(2) Squat on to a box (bench/stool/whatever) that's below parallel?
(3) Do you know what parallel on a squat looks like?
(4) Is there anyone you know that's knowledgable enough to teach you how to squat?
(5) Is there a powerlifting or olympic lifting gym you could go to where you could learn how to squat?
(6) If all of the above can't/don't work, can you seek out physiotherapy so that you can squat to depth properly?

also i suppose i should have been a bit more specific when i said legs, my quads and upper leg muscles are fine i can do squats just cant keep balance, but my probelm is in the calfs and the feet muscles. sorry should of been more specific my bad.

if you can't squat without falling over, that means you can't squat

there is a sticky and thousands of threads about how to squat properly, read those

Nothing to add re:advice good answers already. I would like to say though trhat you are freakin tough man just mentally to work your legs after that kind of process is daunting. Good for you man but be paient maybe its not the previous condition that's keeping your legs small maybe its just not your body's time yet to really start adding that muscle mass.but getting strong now will helpyou add mass later naturally through a healthy, functional routine.

Keep it up dude, keep working hard but smart, don't risk being laid up again you got lots of time!

Just remember to start with the squat and dont try to do much weight or too many sets to begin with. It will most likely just confuse your body.

You know god damned well that he should do 3 sets of 5 if he hasn't been squatting before, and nothing else. You also know that he should do those 3 sets of 5 every workout.

(an awesome freaking video)

I have goosebumps now. Gonna squat heavy today!

I just wish KK's quote wasn't cut out. Even on the full DVD they don't show the full quote til the end with the outtakes.

I don't have the DVD with me, so I may mess up a couple words doing it from memory. Something like: "What are you afraid? I thought powerlifters were supposed to be big, tough guys. Strap your cock on, leave your pussy @ home, put a bar on your back & bend your knees."

Back