Need help with hydration and cramping

huer

White Belt
Reaction score
I have a problem with hydration and cramping. I usually work out a couple times a day and sometimes even three times. In the morning I do a 2 mile jog or 15 minutes of jump rope sometimes followed by HIIT routine or sit ups. At lunch I'll get on the eliptical for about 30 minutes or sometimes weights. At night I go to Jiu Jitsu a couple times a week. I tend to sweat a lot and I'm having a hard time staying hydrated. I also cramp a lot in the stomach, feet and hips.

I am very flexible - I usually stretch 3 times a day, I eat bananas regulary and sometimes drink coconut water for potassium, and I drink between a gallon and a gallon and a half of water daily. I also take about a gram or two of electrolyes a day also. I have a difficult time not cramping.

I'm chilling on the cardio a little to prevent sweating so much, but I'm looking for way to keep my body hydrated and keep myself from cramping. I also take creatine so that might be a contributing factor.

What else can I do to increase hydration and prevent cramping? Does glycerin help? It's a constant battle for me. Thanks.

If you're working out that much and sweating as much as you say you are, you may need to increase your water intake and maybe add a salt tablet or two. I know it's been suggested to eat a diet rich in potassium to help lose water weight. Maybe you're getting too much potassium? Not entirely certain.

Yeah, I think salt may help. I don't get much salt in my diet sometimes. When I was training for a BJJ tournament, I reached a point when I was very lethargic. I took my blood pressure and it was 96 over 50. I took some salt and felt much better.

Sometimes when I really try to drink a lot of water, I feel more dehydrated. Maybe I am drinking too much and my body either absorbs it or I pee it out. Its a strange phenomenon.

I also work in a humidity controlled clean room and the air is very dry. I think that contributes to the problem too.

I don't know...

Your cramping has more to do with the amount that you work out and not your hydration/potassium levels.

Scale back on the workouts a little and see if things get better.

I can scale down on my lunchtime workout. Usually that workout is just to pass time on my lunch break and to get warm so I can stretch. Can't give up my before work workout. Without it, I'm in a fog most of the day. I appreciate the advice.

I can scale down on my lunchtime workout. Usually that workout is just to pass time on my lunch break and to get warm so I can stretch. Can't give up my before work workout. Without it, I'm in a fog most of the day. I appreciate the advice.

Why don't you try actually eating at lunch instead of working out 3 times a day, using your lunch break to do cardio.

What exactly are your goals with all this stretching and cardio?

Why don't you try actually eating at lunch instead of working out 3 times a day, using your lunch break to do cardio.

What exactly are your goals with all this stretching and cardio?

I pretty much can take breaks whenever I want so usually I eat a meal a couple hours before working out at lunch. I take long lunches too so sometimes I'll eat after working out. If I don't have time, I'll drink a shake. I don't starve myself. My diet is decent. The two things I avoid most are sugar and flour based food.

Usually my cardio is not intense. I keep my heart rate below 150 bpm. Sometimes I'll do sprints, but not often. The jog in the morning is to pretty much wake up and think about my day. I stretch so much because it keeps me from getting injured and my back seizes up if I don't stretch. Also it helps a lot in BJJ. I pretty much have the best conditioning at my academy - that's my advantage. Besides, it makes me feel good. I have a lot of stress (single dad of two, 11 hour work days, job can be stressful - a mistake can cost 70 million...) in my life and working out helps with that.

My goal right now is to shed a little fat, just a few pounds, to try a lower weight class - just expirimenting a little. Last time I competed late last year, I was at 181 with gi. Now, I'm about 172, looking to compete at 168. I'm trying to find out where I feel best.

I didn't always work out this much. I started working out more when I was training for the tournament last year, then it just became habit - kind of addicting.

Back