Need Help With Developing Strength Routine

• Thread starter Deleted member 87037
  • Start date
Same here. Just leave the safety-clips off for bench... and obviously dont go for 1RM's without someone around, and you should live.

my gym is half old ppl if i dump it the noise will give them a heart attack hahaha

I didn't read all the posts in this thread, just skimmed through. But if you have 4 months and you are still fairly new to heavy lifting, this plan would be perfect:

Weeks 1-6 - Rippetoe program
Week 7 - deload
Week 8-11 - Starr 5x5 phase 1
Week 12 - deload
Week 13-16 - Starr 5x5 phase 2

That would be an excellent summer plan for gaining size and strength. :)

thanks for the help chia! i'm currently doing the rippetoe workout as suggested by a few members (and yourself). though, regarding that.. - please read this (posted it a page back): "OK today and yesterday @ the gym when I was doing the routine (i know I'm supposed to take a days rest in between but I had to go today to help my friend w/ something) neither me or my buddy felt tired (at all) after doing the squats/bench/deadlift/dips. we did our max weight and took 3-5 min rests in between. is this normal?? we didn't feel muscle burn/strain/fatigue, anything.. though when we were doing the actual exercises it was difficult."

thanks for the help chia! i'm currently doing the rippetoe workout as suggested by a few members (and yourself). though, regarding that.. - please read this (posted it a page back): "OK today and yesterday @ the gym when I was doing the routine (i know I'm supposed to take a days rest in between but I had to go today to help my friend w/ something) neither me or my buddy felt tired (at all) after doing the squats/bench/deadlift/dips. we did our max weight and took 3-5 min rests in between. is this normal?? we didn't feel muscle burn/strain/fatigue, anything.. though when we were doing the actual exercises it was difficult."

This is normal. In fact, you might even sometimes feel energized and motivated to train MORE after you complete a workout. If you aren't too tired it is OK to do a few sets of chins, dips, pushups, etc. or weighted situps or even "mirror" exercises such as curls and skullcrushers. Just limit this to about 10 minutes max after your main workout, and make sure it never compromises your REAL workout.

It is a common misconception that you must feel tired, fatugued, sore, and beat up after lifting. This is unnecessary and even counterprodctive. When you train smart and effectively you should be motivated for the next workout and be ready to set new PRs. About an hour is all you should need for each workout. Instead of staying and doing extra work, you should devote your extra tme and energy to training karate or MMA, sports, or other whatever activities you do for fun. There's no need to spend all the time in the gym senselessly beating yourself up (like many bodyuilders do). Get out and use your energy to do fun things.

The only necessity is progress. You don't need to feel fatigued or tired at all as long as you can consistently make small increases at each successive session. When doing a program such as the Starr 5x5, it may seem easy at first but in the later weeks it does get more intense over the weeks if you follow the progression scheme. With the Rippetoe program you more or less control your own progression--you can shoot for 5 or 10 lbs increase per week (or 5 to 10 lbs every other workout) depending on how you feel. The important thing is to keep striving to improve. Again, it starts off pretty easy but it can get more difficult as the weight goes up over the weeks.

thanks so much chia!!! this is really settling for my friend and i. we'll happily continue the rippetoe program without worries! thanks!

Back