Need help with begginer's strength training & conditioning

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by MentalMulisha, May 11, 2014.

1. MentalMulisha

MentalMulisha White Belt

Hello guys, in this thread i will ask for your help to my S&C training.
    The thing is, i train in muay thai for about 5 months now, recently added bjj training in the same days, which means, currently, i train 2 days per week, mondays and wednsdays - bjj and muay thai classes one after the other.
    Recently, i have been thinking about adding strength and conditioning training in order to make my fighting better, but the problem is IM A COMPLETE BEGGINER.
    I have no idea about how or even where to train, i have a local gym in my city but the problem is that all the coaches down there are into Bodybuilding, which of course is not my goal in training.
    So basically, i need a little help in here on how to train and what to do, in order to make my S&C better.
    ANY ADVICE WILL BE WELCOME, thanks alot, MentalMulisha :icon_chee

2. JRT6

JRT6 Black Belt

The stickies at the top of the S&C forum are made for guys just like you.

3. MentalMulisha

MentalMulisha White Belt

First of all, thanks for your comment.
    secondly, i honestly got lost in those stickies.. but i guess that ill try read them once again, and this time slowly.
    thank you any ways.

4. jayBMX

jayBMX Brown Belt

Look up starting strength program.

Stick to compound lifts, avoid machines and keep it simple, but make sure you're lifting (relatively) heavy weight, and try to add weight every session.

Really though, the faq should tell you most of what you need to know

5. DrBdan

DrBdan Something clever

Can you do more days of BJJ and/or Muay Thai? That would help a lot towards making you a better fighter.

For S&C I'd start with just strength training since you will get a good amount of conditioning work from BJJ/MT training. Check the S&P FAQ, specifically the routines thread linked at the top of post #2.

6. lpaulgib

lpaulgib Blue Belt

Read the strength and power sticky word for word. Nobody here will be able to more easily explain what you should do than the sticky.

7. LZD

LZD Purple Belt

Pick a program from the FAQ - a simple 2 day program will do the trick. Learn the lifts correctly.

Develop an aerobic base as per the FAQ.

Add more BJJ and MT if possible - that's what will help you the most at this stage.

8. MentalMulisha

MentalMulisha White Belt

Thank you guys!!!
    as for adding mor MT/BJJ, i can not do this at the moment because lack of time and money.
    Thanks again for your advices.