Need help setting up throws: No Gi

Christian Medina

Amateur Fighter
Reaction score
We went over basic hip throws today (in the Uki-goshi/O-goshi/Seoi-nage/Uchi-mata sense of throws). During drills, this was easy against non-resisting opponents. When sparring, it was a different story.

While I feel comfortable pulling off doubles, singles, cow-catchers, arm drags, etc., I'm having difficulty setting up straight hip throws.

Indeed, I figure its difficult since there is no fabric to grip and that sweat makes it slippery, but I'm unsure what it is. It feels like I'm having problems setting my feet/hips in tight in the right alignment.

Suggestions?

(and yes, I already spent 10 minutes trying to use the search function)

Also, it looks like there are some subtle differences here in terms of what wrestlers do vs. the judo guys. I have a Gable DVD and book that demonstrate hips fully committed if not overcommitted. Judo guys don't seem to worry about hip commitment as much, no?

Just adjust your grips. Grab the tricep rather than sleeve. Grab the wrist rather than cuff. Grab around their waist instead of grabbing for a belt. Use under and over hooks. Try doing pummeling drills with some resistance and work to set up your throws from there. Make sure you get your hips under and across, since you don't have the clothing to pull on you have got work to get the throw a bit more.

Can't wait to get my Randy Couture "Fighting from the clinch" DVD and add some pointers.

Using a whizzer grip will no doubt be helpful to you, it has helped me greatly with no go hip throws, like has already been stated in this thread study pummeling and get an understanding of underhooks and you will do just fine.

Thanks fellas.

Actually, I like to work from clinched/hooks position. I purchased some of Darrell Gholar's DVDs last year and attended Bas and Randy's seminar in NC last month, so I'm finding few problems here (in fact, neither Darrell nor Randy demoed much in terms of throws). I'll try to pay more attention to gripping as well.

I think it may be my footwork that is wrong. I'm trying to pull of the pretty "5 point" throws we do in drills, but I've probably pulled it off only a handful of times over the last year.

Any advice for the footwork in real time? What I normally find is that I go for the position, but then normally transition to a body lock/single/fireman's since I never pull it off.

If the footwork is tyhe problem, just start off working slow with minimum effort and try to pull the throws off. As they appear to get cleaner in execution, then start asking your partner to resist just a little more and speed up your foot work as well. Just do this until you are up to full speed and hopefully you will be able to see where you are going wrong compared to when you were doing things slowly with only a little resistance. Ask your partner to keep an eye on your foot work also and if you are doing something wrong, make sure he tells you.

Back