Need help securing side mount after guard pass

ThR1LL

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Hey guys I need some help here. I have a training partner who outweighs me by around 20lbs but we're the same height. Whenever I try to pass his closed guard I can never secure side mount because I can't get past his arms when he locks them straight and stiff arms my body. I'm usually pushed past his waist while he shrimps at the same time of doing this. Any pointers on how I effectively pass his guard into a secure side mount?

You are too high when passing. Drive your shoulder into his cheek or chin and keep your weight on it. Also, once you pass, place your lower hand (the hand nearest his waist) next to his hip on the side same side as your body, this will help prevent (though not 100%) him from recomposing the guard. It would help to know exactly how you are passing his guard, video would help.

if you cant control his shoulders/head via underhook/crossface, control his hips via leg drag type positioning. I usually go for that type of control 1st regardless because its harder to defend.

Problem number one: thinking that side mount is the only option to establish you guard pass.
Option one: establish knee on the belly instead of side
mount.
Option two: establish North South instead of side mount.

Problem no two: thinking that asking random people on the internet will make you better at grappling.

The information ypu provide its useless to give any proper advice, specially the 20 pound diference of your training partner. You are better off seeking advice pf someone who actually sees you sparring and can notice the mistakes you might be making.

For me stiff arm while i have passed the guard means taking the arm and either going into north south for a kimura or going all the way to the other side for the arm bar

Problem no two: thinking that asking random people on the internet will make you better at grappling.

The information ypu provide its useless to give any proper advice, specially the 20 pound diference of your training partner. You are better off seeking advice pf someone who actually sees you sparring and can notice the mistakes you might be making.

For me stiff arm while i have passed the guard means taking the arm and either going into north south for a kimura or going all the way to the other side for the arm bar

In this case, maybe we shouldnt have a grappling forum at all, if its pointless asking harmless questions.... FFS.

Why do so many threads always mention weight? Lol.

Honestly, there are lots of ways to deal with it. It's kind of hard to describe and list them all. Youtube it. You'll find plenty.

Problem number one: thinking that side mount is the only option to establish you guard pass.
Option one: establish knee on the belly instead of side
mount.
Option two: establish North South instead of side mount.

Came in to say this

Switch hips, turn your body away from opponent and get into reverse kesa gatame. His hands will slide down and won't block you anymore. Just be gentle with your partner so you do not break his wrists. Stabilize, then switch hips again into side mount.

Force Alf gward and do this.

[Yt]rAWqGfDm0x4[/MEDIA]

Alternately, just skip all the steps and go strait to this.

[Yt]bar55_SWkaE[/MEDIA]

Back