Need help keeping my hands up

Good tips here, tapping yourself is probably a good way to do it, but how I made it a habit was just working consciously on always returning your hands to the proper position every time you throw a punch.

I've done a lot of bag-work while doing this, and it doesn't take that long until it sticks without having to think about it in my experience.

Fact is, I did boxing since I was 14, did that for 8 years or so before I started doing karate. Now it's been all karate for the last years, and I STILL can't shake the instinct of returning my hands to proper guard, instead of the lower/different guard I'm supposed to use in karate. So yea, it's all habit, and with some proper coaches/partners, you'll quickly be reminded of when you forget. :)

Hey guys

I spend a lot of time working with new people coming in to deal with this problem. I think an important way to look at it is making your hands difficult to drop - rather than fighting to keep them up, which to me implies that they should be down and you have to remember to keep them raised.

Jaxx mentioned the thread with a discussion on the CM structure and that's worth checking out. The biggest thing for me that comes out of the CM structure in relation to hand position is lifting your traps up to 'scrunch' the back of your neck. Imagine some one tickling the back of your neck and you shrug your shoulders to stop them. That's the motion you want.

Give this a experiment quick try now, while you're sat at your keyboard.

1. Keep your shoulders down, your head upright and lift up a guard.

2. Lift your hands up to your eye level

3. Have a look at how much of a gap there is between your elbows and your body.

I'm 5'9" and if I do this (while I'm typing), I end up with a 6" gap between my elbows and ribs - this means my elbows are projecting in front of my body and I can feel the work in the anterior deltoid straight away. If I lift my shoulders up (trying to touch my shoulders to my ears) this doesn't change much. Plus if I lift my shoulders up at the sides, I can still nod my head backwards and forwards - which shows my neck isn't locking my head still if I take a hit.

Now lift up your traps and try and get rid of your neck and repeat the exercise.

Lifting your traps up makes you hunch slightly, bringing your chin down under the cover of your shoulders and supporting your head. If you try nodding your head backwards and forwards now there should be very little backwards movement.

Bringing things swiftly back to the original topic, the other key benefit of lifting your traps is that if you raise your hands to your head now and look down at the gap between your body and elbows it should be a lot smaller, if not gone completely. If I hunch my traps I can put my hands on my forehead and still have my elbows touching my ribcage, whereas before I had to reach my hands up, with the scrunch of my traps they reach to my head with no problems at all.

The beauty of this from a postural mechanics standpoint is that the top half of my arm is hanging from my shoulders now, rather than being held in front and counterbalanced by work in my deltoids. So all I need to do work-wise is keep my hands held up... not my whole arms. If I can keep my hands on my head, which is locked solid, I can take shots with structure not strength.

By working the hunchback stance that raising my traps gives me it is much harder for me to drop my hands, so I don't really need to think about keeping them up: They want to stay up.

Hope that helps.

Phil

I don't know if I'm a little old school but getting hit with a really fucking solid hook was enough for me to start keeping my hands up. revolution's thing works pretty well, as long as you aren't just dropping your hands after throwing them.

shadowbox, shadowbox, shadowbox, atleast 30 minutes a day, refine your technique, you should also keep your hands up during padwork, bagwork, sparring, etc. (obviously), I think alot of excercises to keep your hands up are really just going to work your endurance (shadowboxing with weights and keeping your hands up for example), in order to train yourself to do it naturally it has to be achieved through muscle memory, that way you don't have to think about/worry (it will happen naturally) about keeping your hands up and you can pay attention to your opponent.
I know "shadowbox" sounds like a simple answer, but that way your not worried about power, speed, your opponent, etc, but rather perfect technique (pay attention to where your hands are during your techniques, do you drop your left when you throw your right? is your jab lazy? etc.), which you should carry over to your padwork, bagwork, sparring etc.
The way your technique should be tested once it is refined is by your padholder/mittholder/trainer when you work the pads/mitts (have him throw attacks at you between your combos to make sure your defense is sharp), and by your sparring partners, there is no better way to say "your hands are too low" than hitting them hard, and your training partners will do that for you.

revolution's thing works pretty well, as long as you aren't just dropping your hands after throwing them.

Too true. You need to throw from your guard and return straight back to your guard, almost as if there is a piece of bungee elastic linking your hands to your head.

Too many people throw punches which drop as they're thrown and then recover them by dropping them to waist-height and pulling them back up. The ultimate no-no. This often happens because they are having to use their shoulders to hold their hands and arms up. Once the punch extends out from the body that tension gets lost and the punch drops without people realising why.

If your hands want to drop because you're stood in the wrong posture then all the conscious drilling or use of tools won't help much - as soon as you remove the tool (be it a ball, tissue etc) then you have nothing to concentrate on and your body will revert back to path of least resistance.

Change the posture, change the effect - anything else will only happen when you concentrate on it. Which is fine when you're training but when you're under pressure or tired you can bet money on those bad habits coming back.

The underlying problem with hands dropping is all to do with what makes them difficult to hold up. Your hands only want to drop if that is the easiest thing for them to do. I refuse to believe that your anyone's hands want to leave their head open for damage (that only happens in Evil Dead films). The key is to make sure it is as easy as possible to keep your hands up, then they'll tend to do just that.

If you are building good habits they will be reinforced every time anyone throws a punch at you and every time you throw a punch. The idea of teaching yourself to keep your hands up by having people hit you really hard in the head doesn't work on a psychological level.

All that happens then is dropping the hands gets linked to something powerfully negative - getting hit really hard - but keeping the hands up doesn't get as strongly linked to something positive. If you got drilled and it hurt lots you'd remember that way more than the shots that bounced off your guard with no effect.

If you bring the contact level of your sparring down to the point that the mistakes don't have a huge consequence (ie you're not getting rattled every shot), then you will notice the times it goes right more than the times it goes wrong. This allows you to build and reinforce the good habit. Once this habit is set you can then begin to increase the sparring level again - often to much higher than it was originally but everyone is cool, calm and collected, playing with good guard and good punch recovery.

I've seen this time and time again with people i have coached, at my own gym and on seminars. The body won't learn unless the mind lets it.

One of the big differences between what we do and what any other sports do is that we fight while they play. I'm from the UK and here everyone plays football/soccer as kids. Learning the skills needed to be competitive comes through hours of play on the local fields using tee shirts for goalposts. Look at basket ball, with kids shooting hoops for fun or playing one on one pick up matches with friends.

In martial arts people tend to come in with a fight mentality from day one... whatever their reason for walking in the door. If you are fighting you're not learning, regardless of what your body is doing. This is why so much time is spent on drilling, if everyone just sparred the red mist would descend and get in the way of development. If you can change your relationship to sparring so it becomes a learning tool rather than just a testing tool then you can fix problems like keeping your hands up in a healthy way whatever you are training.

People make the mistake of doing shadowboxing,bagwork and all forms of training with there hands down when there is no pressure. then they expect to remember to raise there hands when they spar and are under pressure.
all you have to do is keep them up in all aspects of training and it will became a habit.

People make the mistake of doing shadowboxing,bagwork and all forms of training with there hands down when there is no pressure. then they expect to remember to raise there hands when they spar and are under pressure.
all you have to do is keep them up in all aspects of training and it will became a habit.

Wow, thank you guys very much for all the help you've given me.

Back