Need help finding Toum, Lebanese garlic sauce online

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by WorldofWarcraft, Sep 25, 2013.

1. WorldofWarcraft

WorldofWarcraft Holy Paladin Banned

Has anyone tried this? There's a Greek restaurant here in Las Vegas that sells chicken with this sauce. They won't let you buy the sauce unless you buy the chicken and even then, they give you a small portion. For years, I've tried to find out what the name is, how to make it or where to buy. I just found out the actual name of the sauce, and I know the recipe now, but there's various versions of it.

Does anyone know an online place that sells this? When I Google, all I get are recipes and the one at Amazon is not available.

If you haven't tried it, you should and try it with chicken. It is ridiculously good.

[​IMG]

2. 22k

22k ベルセルク

stomach aches, then brown sauce

3. M o A

M o A Banned Banned

Edit: You tried any Middle Eastern stores? In Arabic its pronounced Thoum...try searching that instead.

If theres are various versions how the hell are we gonna know ? That stuff will give you the worst breath, I avoid it all costs.

4. WorldofWarcraft

I see some people spell it Toum or Toom, haven't seen anyone spell it Thoum so far. Not really familiar with it. I just found out the name today.

5. M o A

M o A Banned Banned

Have you tried aioli sauce? Look that up.

6. M o A

M o A Banned Banned

If theres a local Middle Eastern grocery go to the short Arab guy at the counter and ask for "salsa thoum"

7. faustian

faustian THE LOOSE CANNON Platinum Member

I love that stuff. I used to have to order it online but a few months ago I found out a local falafel place sells it.

8. Thrawn33

Thrawn33 JUST BLEED Belt

Picked up a taste for it while working landscaping jobs in Dearborn MI. I'm a huge garlic lover and that stuff was like a taste of heaven with some shwarma

9. Thrawn33

Thrawn33 JUST BLEED Belt

Found a few recipes online. Doesn't look too hard. I'll try making it this weekend.

10. Jackie Blue

Jackie Blue Silver Belt

I've had it once before in a Lebanese restaurant, but didn't know what it was. I prefer tahini and tzatziki, though.

11. Zuni

Zuni Purple Belt

Like this?

Ali Oli

12. AznTrojan

AznTrojan Silver Belt

it doesn't look too hard to make.. you just need a food processor..

13. Madmick

Madmick Cerebrage Staff Member Senior Moderator

Hell yes. Aioli is bomb: on salads, on sandwiches, as the feature sauce on an a la carte gourmet poultry or fish dish. How can you go wrong with fresh garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, egg, and salt? Ranks up there with mayo as an all-time classic emulsion. I make pesto and aioli all the time.

14. Poohbearsbong**

Poohbearsbong** Banned Banned

I read the thread title as lesbian garlic sauce, I must admit to being somewhat dissapointed, I will however try this sauce instead.

15. Madmick

Madmick Cerebrage Staff Member Senior Moderator

Oh, also, Zuni, just like pesto and hummus, or anything this simple & fresh, really, the key is the quality of the ingredients.

• Buy a top notch extra virgin olive oil. I recommend Lucero or Pacific Sun if you can get them.
    • Find the freshest eggs you can. Use the sink/float test. Put them in a bowl of water fully submerged. If the eggs lay on their sides on the bottom, then you're getting them as fresh as possible. If they float, they're already bad. Farmer's markets tend to have the best eggs. I'm talking the ones that aren't about size. The best eggs I get come from a lady who raises her own chickens. They're literally about 1/3 to 1/2 the size of the AAA Jumbos at the supermarket, but the yolk is literally about 3x as dark; really, they're more orange than yellow. The yolks also makes up a much larger proportion of the interior fluid than store-bought eggs, I've noticed.
    • Do your best to get lemons that are as close to ripe as possible at the store. To maximize their shelf life you store them in a sealed plastic bag in the fridge, but a big key I learned as a bartender, IMO, is to let them sit out at room temp are at least several hours before juicing them; the same treatment you'd afford a great, thick steak before grilling it rare.
    • Garlic is garlic as far as I've ever been able to tell. It's just a bitch to shuck. One tip in recipes like this, to maximize the amount of oil immediately available, is to blitz them first with coarser salt (but not all called for in the recipe) before adding the other ingredients. This way you can salt to taste at the end, but you also abrade the garlic and draw out more of its oil without having to let it steep/marinade. I just use sea salt.

True food processors (with a spout for pouring into them while blitzing) are essential for emulsified sauces like Mayo or Aioli. Like this:

When she says you can do this all by hand...bitch is lying.

16. Poohbearsbong**

Poohbearsbong** Banned Banned

Will try that it looks good. have you tried pasteurisation for longer term storage?

17. WorldofWarcraft

Ugh, still can't find an online place that sells it. I don't wanna mess with cooking.

18. shunyata

shunyata Red Belt

Really easy to just make this. It's not even cooking you just grind that stuff by hand.

It's garlic ground up in a mortar and pestle while adding oil until saturation is hit, add lemon and salt.

Don't you live in vegas? Just pick up a stone mortar and pestle (easy to find at an Asian market) and then buy a bunch of garlic and a few lemons. Mix with good olive oil.

I've got a nice but not too heavy stone one at home that was purchased dirt cheap from a thai market.

From allrecipes.com

Original recipe makes 6 servings Change Servings

4 cloves garlic, peeled

1/4 cup vegetable oil, or as needed

1 pinch salt

1 lemon, juiced

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  19. chanwahyaoh

chanwahyaoh Brown Belt

This.

I made some 2 weeks ago with Shish Tawook.

Just put 2 heads worth of garlic cloves in the food processor with some salt. Turn it into a paste. Then slowly drizzle in a few cups of a neutral vegetable oil (canola, grapeseed, etc.). It will form an emulsion.

Done.

EDIT: Forgot to say - put some lemon juice in there as well.
    http://www.mamaslebanesekitchen.com/dips/lebanese-garlic-dip/

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  20. Cherdawg

Cherdawg Silver Belt

Make it brother!
    It tastes awesome though you're right :)