Need help coming up with fitness/strength goals

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Higus, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Higus

Higus Silver Belt

I'm trying to come up with some attainable S&C goals for myself this year. I started weight lifting a last summer and have been enjoying it. I have a long way to go but I'm really trying to make an effort into having a healthy lifestyle and becoming more physically fit and strong.

I'm wondering if there there are any "rule of thumb" milestones based on body weight that people use to set their strength goals. For instance, being able to squat 2x body weight would be a pretty good milestone.

Main criteria:
    Bench Press: _____ x Body Weight (BW) x 5 reps
    OHP: _____ x BW x 5 reps
    Squat: _____ x BW x 5 reps
    Deadlift: _____ x BW x 5 reps
    Chinups: _____ reps before failure
    5K run: ____ minutes

Please feel free to add any more I should consider

2. ThinkGreen

ThinkGreen Der √úbermensch

3. Higus

Higus Silver Belt

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  4. Higus

Higus Silver Belt

The numbers on that link showed 1 rep max. What percentage should I reduce down to to come up with, say, a 5 rep max? 85%?

5. MilkManUK

MilkManUK Brown Belt

Strstd.com has a 5 rep max calculator thing I think, check it out. As for a decent 5k time, at a rough guess I'd say 20 minutes is respectable enough if you are not solely training for 5k.

6. 48mpg

48mpg Blue Belt

1000 lb for the Big 3 lifts is a pretty big milestone for some.

I know I'm aiming for it this year.

dont get too hung up on general goal numbers though. its different for everybody. just aim to make steady progress, make goals that are attainable and continue to make new goals once you reach them. Plan your workouts with those goals in mind.

7. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

Generally speaking, it's not something to worry too much about. Sure a 2x bodyweight squat is a good goal, but even if you started with a more modest goal, like 1.5x bodyweight, it's not like you can't set more ambitious goals later.

I'd start by figuring out what your priorities are. Strength - general strength, or competing in powerlifting or weightlifting? Conditioning - as in being reasonably healthy, or to run a race, or for some specific sport? Then you can know which goals to be more ambitious with.

8. LatFlare

LatFlare EADC

Watching a snail crawl along a straight razor.
    If you can't squat twice your bodyweight then GTFO and hand in your man card at the door sucker!

j/k train for the love and aim for whatever mang