Need help Closed guard

jrock89

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have a decent top game with decent take downs so I don't play on my back that much. If I do I am trying to sweep them from butterfly and half guard. Lately I have been trying to develop a deadly closed guard game but I feel like its just a matter of time before I open it up and they try to pass and then I have to stand up or get on my knees and shoot for a take down. I have been struggling with closed guard for a while and I know all the basics to it; wrist control, sleeve control, neck control, posture, using my legs in unison with my abs. However I always seem to just get passed. Does anyone pull closed guard and succeed with sweeps and submissions? I feel as if everyone now a days plays butterfly, half and open guard for sweep and submissions. Just getting frustrated with my bottom game :( any tips/suggestions videos would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
I have a ferocious top game, I prefer the jack hammer technique if you know what I'm sayin'? Off my back, the reverse cow girl is a quick stunner but if need be keep her in your closed guard and wait until morning so you have stankin' ass and she won't even want to fuck anymore.

Of a serious note...... fuck off

Closed is my favorite guard. I like working my legs up into a high guard and attacking with armlocks, triangles, or collar chokes from there. For sweeps I tend to use simple ones, scissor sweep, hip bump sweep, flower sweep, pendulum sweep. Armdrags work like a charm from there as well.

A couple of keys that help me: dominate the grips and attack/off balance right away. Set everything up with another attack or an off balance. If you attack directly against a good player, unless you are very slick it's tough to keep them from spotting your attacks and defending well. If you get good at off balancing them to set up your moves, say hip bump to make them post their hand on the mat and then triangle them, or attack with a collar choke to set up an armbar; then you will be more likely to corner them into a place that is hard for them to recover from.

Closed is my favorite guard. I like working my legs up into a high guard and attacking with armlocks, triangles, or collar chokes from there. For sweeps I tend to use simple ones, scissor sweep, hip bump sweep, flower sweep, pendulum sweep. Armdrags work like a charm from there as well.

A couple of keys that help me: dominate the grips and attack/off balance right away. Set everything up with another attack or an off balance. If you attack directly against a good player, unless you are very slick it's tough to keep them from spotting your attacks and defending well. If you get good at off balancing them to set up your moves, say hip bump to make them post their hand on the mat and then triangle them, or attack with a collar choke to set up an armbar; then you will be more likely to corner them into a place that is hard for them to recover from.

nicee. thanks for the advice

Being somewhat a noob - In addition to what Sloth said, I like to try direct attacks/posture breaks/sweeps and see what my opponents' reaction is. Based on that, I try to figure out what other openings is. The second I tried to win less and just go slower (read/react), the more I learned.

I have a ferocious top game, I prefer the jack hammer technique if you know what I'm sayin'? Off my back, the reverse cow girl is a quick stunner but if need be keep her in your closed guard and wait until morning so you have stankin' ass and she won't even want to fuck anymore.

what the fuck?

high guard FTW, also make sure you review breaking grips for when they post arms on u to stall

he had a short life here but he made the most of it...u will live on in our memories :icon_chee

I'm a bigger guy (6'1", 210ish) and thus usually go against bigger guys, none of whom seem to ever want to work their bottom game unless specifically told to do so. Even if we start from the knees a lot them seem like they'll do anything not to work their bottom game. I don't normally care enough either way so, especially when starting out on the knees, I end up on the bottom about 95% of the time. I'm seriously on the bottom so much it's a joke at my school that the back of my gii is brown after rolling while the rest looks clorox clean.

Anyway, to answer your questions, I pull off sweeps all the time and sometimes submissions. Regarding sweeps, a lot of it is probably not having the timing right, your body angled correctly, and your hips thrusting when and where they should. A lot of it is trying to get them off base and timing their attempts to break your guard or to pass.

I would really recommend Sweep: Closed Guard Concepts. I've really benefited a lot from this DVD and it's very reasonably priced (30 bucks when I bought it) compared to other ones. If you don't train gii, I'd recommend Saulo's Freestyle Revolution.

Last edited:
Back