Need help buying Gi-less attire

DMcKayBJJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't need help finding a gi because all I train now is gi BJJ.

But I'm thinking of starting no-gi training, so what do you guys think I should buy for starters? I don't really have any other workout clothes that would withstand grappling, so I'm gonna fork over some dough anyway.

Specifically, which fight shorts and rash guard do you think are best?

I like Sprawls.

I just got SSF's rashie today and it is awsome, plus only 30 dollars. So basically I'd go with Sprawls and SSF rashie. or if you want something cheaper Truth is good too.

I just ordered a pair of Koral VT shorts. Usually a quality rash guard, maybe some knee sleeves if yours are bad and some board shorts are a good start.

I have a pair of Sprawls which are great and I just recieved a bunch of Underhook stuff from Ron at SSF these are also amazing. I have also heard that No Gi is good aswell as TapOut. So you really can't go wrong with any of the more well known companies and your probably fine with smaller companies too.

For rashguards you cant get any better than XFGear, they also have some killer shorts too. Cant go wrong with SPRAWL either that's for sure.

I got the Green Sprawls and those are pretty slick. I just have under armour rashguards right now but they are holding up fine. I'd like to get something new, though.

-Well obviously a mouthguard
-Knee pads are a must, getting your knee "stuck" on the mats really sucks, especially if you arent used to it. Feels like your skin stays but your knee moves on the inside..
- as for shorts, anything will do. I have used anything from old surf shorts to high priced tapout shorts. They all do the same job. I have yet to rip a pair and i train 4 days a week for the last 5 years (roughly). And no, wearing a name brand doesnt make you a better fighter .
- Rash guards, i have been using Under armor for a few years, they work, you can get them from any local sporting or army place and are dirt cheap.($30 cdn) My friend bought a Billabong rash guard for $20 and it works aswell. But a old t-shirt works too.

You dont need to spend money to train in No-Gi that is just a myth.

Rotund Grappler said:
for me, i cant nogi grapple without my asics wrestling knee pads.

amen!

Kneeguards,

rashguard,

grappling/fight shorts.

wrestling shoes (optional)

headgear (optional)

~Foz

I don't think you need kneepads. I agree that the SSF rashguard rocks.

Also, I really like my Tapout shorts, though a lot of other people on this forum do not.

I like the Tapout shorts but not their service (they ship fast but they don't keep the shorts in stock). I would drop them from my site but so many people ask and order their gear.

www.SSFgear.com

SSF said:
I like the Tapout shorts but not their service (they ship fast but they don't keep the shorts in stock). I would drop them from my site but so many people ask and order their gear.

www.SSFgear.com

Sorry Ron I think I'm one of the guilty ones there :redface:

For shorts go with either NoGI, XFGEAR, or Sprawl.
For rashguards go with either NoGi or XFGEAR.

Yea, Tapout gear is just too cool to resist. That is why we have people like you around Ron to hook us up.

No Gi? You need some nogi.com shorts and rash guard if you like. Nogi shorts are the best bar none. More flexibilty and style, not to mention they hold up better than anything else. I also like Clinchgear but again nogi handsdown. I haven't put my Sprawl shorts on since I got the nogi shorts. Sprawl are not as comfortable or flexible. Goodluck with no gi training its awesome.

dog812 said:
-Well obviously a mouthguard
-Knee pads are a must, getting your knee "stuck" on the mats really sucks, especially if you arent used to it. Feels like your skin stays but your knee moves on the inside..
- as for shorts, anything will do. I have used anything from old surf shorts to high priced tapout shorts. They all do the same job. I have yet to rip a pair and i train 4 days a week for the last 5 years (roughly). And no, wearing a name brand doesnt make you a better fighter .
- Rash guards, i have been using Under armor for a few years, they work, you can get them from any local sporting or army place and are dirt cheap.($30 cdn) My friend bought a Billabong rash guard for $20 and it works aswell. But a old t-shirt works too.

You dont need to spend money to train in No-Gi that is just a myth.

ABSOLUTELY!

Many out there feel the same way.

I have some Nogi Jets which are sick as hell. I have a cheapy rashguard from Wal-Mart that's held up pretty well. The knee pads are a must though.

Fozzy said:
amen!

Kneeguards,

rashguard,

grappling/fight shorts.

wrestling shoes (optional)

headgear (optional)

~Foz

A man desiring a pink gi would wear knee pads wouldnt he? HAHA. You'll figure it out. *BANNED* But seriously, knee pads aren't bad if you've cut your knees from doing takedowns and stuff. I don't like to just roll with them on though. For takedown practice and stuff I'd recomend them. Also, there's a gel you can buy from wrestling stores online that goes on your knees, it's sort of like that liquid bandaid stuff, forms a thin film over your knee basically so you don't give your knees mat burn all the time from TDs. I may just pick some up for a tournament. I'd suggest against the wrestling shoes for grappling, the benefits aren't as great as they are in MMA. headgear's not a bad idea for training, a couple guys use em at the club I go to. rashguard, or underarmor work. pretty much any shorts work, but grappling/board shorts are better, the material slides better on the mat than traditional athletic/soccer/basketball etc. shorts.

Back