1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Need help, advice and ideas for my website

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by Bashir Ahmad, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Bashir Ahmad

Bashir Ahmad Orange Belt

So here's my story.

I'm a Pakistani-American. I'm a former U.S soldier. Iraq Vet. Grew up in Virginia, trained in BJJ and Muay Thai. Spent two years in Thailand. I moved to Pakistan a year ago to promote MMA here cuz; I think the sport has potential, I think the sport can do a lot to channel peoples frustrations.

Anyway I run the only proper MMA gym here and I am trying to build a fight team. Well it's not very lucrative and I am living a fairly low standard of living. I never thought I would say something so cliche and douchey but I feel like I have sacrificed quite a bit to spread this awesome sport.

Well, on to my main topic. I am trying to earn some side money by helping guys (or girls) who are interested in manufacturing MMA or other combat sport equipment. Pakistan as you may or may not know has one of the worlds largest centers of sporting goods production. I live very close to that city and I have a lot of contacts and I know how stuff runs there.

So...being in my unique position of understanding western standards, having years of experience in the sport, a love for the sport, a real understanding of what makes quality equipment and having a facility to test equipment in with direct access to these manufacturers I have started to do freelance work and I have already gotten a decent number of projects.

I am trying to expand a bit and make a website and so I was wondering if you had any ideas what my shpiel could be. It has to be direct and to the point. What could it be and what would people be searching for that would possibly lead them to my site?

Also, think I could somehow incorporate this to my MMA Pakistan site? pak-mma.com?

I appreciate everyone's thoughts and time.

2. ASEGSEA

ASEGSEA Guest

I've read from articles and spoken to vets that one of the primary reasons to the rise of terrorist cells is the Middle Easts lack of opportunity for it's people. This stagnant state causes a lack of hope, which fuels the need to find identity and purpose within these zealous enitities.

Many countries offer sports as a relief from poverty: for Thailand, it's Muay Thai, the Philipinnes it's boxing, New Zealand it's marbles (jk). That being said, I believe if you really get this going, and if you're passion really shines, then you'd be able to gather a group of people and form a family, giving people a sense of identity and future.

And depending on how you set it all up, I'd be more than willing to donate.

3. KaosX

KaosX Banned Banned

I'll speak form my ow experience. I wanted some cheap non-branded gis from some places to try out for our gym. I ended up on alibaba and was sent only western union money order requests.

I'm wary of those because they can take your money and split.

If there was an interface between those Pakistani vendors and the US that took standard credit cards - it would ease my worries a ton.

--

As far as a business story or shpiel - just be honest and treat the customer right (when they deserve to be treated right) and the rest should fall into place.

4. Bashir Ahmad

Bashir Ahmad Orange Belt

So, for example, what could be the title of my site or business. Sherdog sums it up as Mixed Martial Arts News. So how can I sum myself up?

5. ECS123

ECS123 Purple Belt

As far as some type of actual title for the gear related aspect, it could be something like "International Business and Marketing Technical Product Consultant." Based upon your heritage and knowledge of both the USA and Pakistan, and the fact that you are on the ground in Pakistan, within proximity to the factories, gives you pretty good qualities to fill a void for taking the hassles out of product development.

Personally, I see a lot of really good quality fight related gear products coming out of Pakistan. Some of the best reviewed and liked gloves discussed on here, are made in Pakistan. You should trying checking with some of the business and marketing universities and colleges in Pakistan for knowledgable information, and even check into any available financial assistance or grants from Pakistan and the USA governments. They both stand to benefit from business liaisons and fostering relations between the two countries.

I wish that I could be of more assistance, however, an MBA I am not. Good luck with your endeavor!

:icon_chee

6. ASEGSEA

ASEGSEA Guest

Try reddit.com/r/askreddit. They may be able to offer further insight, especially for a good cause.