Need Cardio Routine

Jammyface

White Belt
Reaction score
Ok, I'm 16, I've been training in BJJ for the last 2 months or so and I love it. I just recently went to a sparring class and had to spar with a guy literally two times my size. I thought I was in pretty good shape until I sparred with him for about 5mins and I was so gassed after that, I was trying to take him down but that didn't work too well seeing that he's a green belt and I'm still white(of course) and he's 240 pounds and me, a lame 125 pounds. It was pathetic. I need a cardio routine to get me in shape since I'm entering a tournament in January.

Thanks.

if youre not weight training at all, www.crossfit.com is the way to go. closest youll get to a complete program without putting together a new program for yourself. no brainer, in other words

if you are weight training, crossfits workouts will often be too hard on muscles you have just worked, since they make no distinction between weights and cardio. id suggest sprints or fartlek running to supplement your weights if you are in fact lifting.

I was thinknig of starting a routine but our school just recently took away some of our lunch time so it's really hard to eat lunch and get a good workout in like 45mins so I'm still deciding what to do. I have no clue where to start with a weight routine either...it's pretty sad at our school, everyone goes up there just to see what their 1 rep max.

I have never heard of a school only giving 45 minutes for lunch.

BTW, I also never heard of a green belt in BJJ.

Wolverine
///

I dunno, all I know is he's really big and he where's a Green Belt so I assumed he was a Green Belt lol, sorry about that I have no clue. I just started so whatever belt colour I see them wear thats what I assume they are... Our lunch starts at 11:35 and back in 3rd period class for 12:15. It happend just this year for some reason they changed our lunch schedule but we get out of school now at 3:00 which is 20 minutes earlier.

so why cant you lift after school, or sign up to a gym?

I'm pretty sure our weight room is closed after school and before I took BJJ my dad asked me what I wasnted to do, either BJJ or Gym Membership. I chose BJJ but I could probably get a gym membership for Christmas. But I would still be stuck without a workout routine. I'm sure I could find one somewhere.

until you can get a membership try signing up for weight training at school. Since you probably don't have a lot of money to fork out, if you have Limewire you can occasionally find Bas Rutten's MMA workout, both audio and video on there. Run some sprints, do some jumpsquats, burpees, pushups etc. at home

I think its not just your cardio but also your strength and endurance that would also need some attention. Even if you don't have a gym membership you can still do some calistenics for endurance and some sprinting to build up your legs. Another tip would be if your grappling someone who has twice your weight it wouldn't be a good idea for you to be underneath him trying to take him down because he could use his weight to tire you out. Anyways keep it up you'll improve your BJJ skills, train hard and train smart.

Wolverine said:
I have never heard of a school only giving 45 minutes for lunch.

BTW, I also never heard of a green belt in BJJ.

Wolverine
///

me neither

Why don't you run for 20 minutes 2x a week and do some pushups, pullups, crunches on the other 2 days. That gives you 1x to hang out. You have time, just do something.

Of course your cardio sucked, you went against a guy twice your size. He's bigger, stronger and better skilled. Ask the instructor to find someone closer to your skill and size. Otherwise its a waste of time for both of you.

Back