Need big help with 3 things in BJJ

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Torak, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Torak

Torak Orange Belt

Can you give me some advice on these three things please?
    When Im in side control (on top):
    1. What should I do if my opponent keeps his hands/arms inside in "praying" position? When they have arms like that, its hard to go for some submission. What should I do except just power one arm out? Is there some more technical move?

2. When Im in side control, usually my opponents try to stick their knee inside to go into half guard or full guard...so in order to avoid it I lay on my hip (the one which is closer to their legs) and tuck my knee close to their torso. With the other leg I stabilize myself, I have it straight and pushing into the ground. But many times happened my opponent just sweeped me from there with ease eventhough Im heavier. Why is that?

And the last thing, when Im in the mount (bottom) it seems impossible to get out from there even if I have someone half my size on me. But when I get on top of someone, I feel so unstable...therefore I many times dont even pass to mount...my opponents just bridge and turn their hips agressively and I always lose stability...sometimes when they get out from there partially, exposing their back, I get the back control but when they start getting up and slouching forward Im starting to slide forward losing position...

Im just abeginner, please give me some advice, so I can improve. i appreciate it, thank you.

2. Lasse

Lasse Green Belt

If your opponent has his hands in the prayer position you can go for an armbar, but you have to be quick because as soon as he connects his elbow and knee you can't finish the armbar anymore.

For the last two questions the answer is; ask your instructor because there is no way we can say what you do wrong as we can't see you roll.

3. Funkoar

Funkoar Green Belt

The answer to all 3 is to just keep rolling

4. MyBodyHurts

MyBodyHurts Blue Belt

1. In general, especially no gi, it's hard to tap someone who is purely defensive, particularly if they are much bigger or stronger than you. A good option (if your instructor is ok with you doing them already) is going for a wrist lock, which will force your partner to respond in someway, likely freeing up space under their arms. You can also slide your wrist/arm under one of their elbows, attempting to get deeper in order to set up an arm bar, kimura, etc. Or, you can switch to a North/South choke if their hands aren't covering their neck.

2. If you are decently sized where you're close to the same weight or bigger than your partner, then you're probably not using your weight well. Good weight distribution can make a 160 pound person feel like a truck on you. You should ideally be like a wet blanket with your weight on their hip. You can also switch your base by sitting out the opposite way, Meaning, when the person goes to put their knee in you turn so you're on your other side (with your back to their face). You'll probably drill this a lot over time in class.

3. It's almost always going to be hard to get out of mount against someone better than you regardless if they're lighter than you. That's why it's considered a dominant position. Your partner is probably keeping a very good mount with hip pressure. You're probably better off looking on YouTube for mount escapes. Likewise, when you're on top it's important not to be too low or too high on their torso. When you initially mount most people try hard to escape, which is when it's the most important to keep really heavy pressure on their hips until the wave passes.

Those are just some options among gazillions. I don't know what your financial situation is but you may want to purchase Demian Maia's sets, which in my opinion are excellent and cover what you're asking. You can get them used on Amazon or cheaper as a bundle. If you can afford it you may want to sign up for an online training site as well where there will be video after video after video answering these questions.