Need an opinion - Winning FG-2900 or Cleto Reyes Resdesigned Nylon Face saver

jspkg

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey fellas, I've been on the forums for awhile now, but I haven't really gotten in to any postings. I do a lot of boxing sparring and up until this point have been using the Rival d3o headgear and as great as it is, I've gotten my fair share of bloody noses since the D3o doesn't do a great job of providing much protection for the nose.

I read Skribble's review (great review btw) and it seems that even as great as it is, you can't seem to avoid nosebleeds without a face bar (well, other than avoid getting hit :redface:). I just got a pair of 16oz Winnings so the FG-5000 is out of my price range and I haven't heard much about the new redesigned Cleto Reyes.

I've also heard that for training purposes, the disadvantage of a face saver is that it makes it much harder to see and you lose the feeling of getting hit in the face during sparring, which could prove to be a disadvantage when it comes to actual competition in a way I suppose. Any opinions or comments would help!

Last edited:
If you absolutely need perfect nose protection get a facebar. The fg 2900 is amazing, its really light and the best Mexican style available. It really has some great nose protection but it's not at the same degree as a facebar. I'll compare the fg 5000 to the 2900 once I get some more rounds under them.

Go with the Traditional Headgear with Nylon Face Bar, it is not bulky and is very protective; the redesign is huge.

OR, you can just save up, get that FG-5000, and never worry about head gear again

hopefully you're a medium, cause you can get the deal of a lifetime. Check out my custom winning thread. on the last page there's a link to the old model of the fg5000 for $260.

You gotta go facebar. Do you have a budget of some sort?

I had the re-disgned Cleto. It sucks balls every way i can think of. The older model is much better to my knowledge.
Now i have the fg-2900 and i like it alot. For nose protection i suggest you get PROPER facebar.

You gotta go facebar. Do you have a budget of some sort?

Yeah with the gloves I bought I'd have to go for something less than $300. And can you elaborate on how the new Cleto is bad? That really does sway me more towards getting the FG-5000 if I can get one for under $300 hahaha. Has anyone tried the new FG-5000 and can compare it to the old one?

Edit: Pulled the trigger on the $261 FG-5000 btw. I think that's too good a price to pass up.

Last edited:
Yeah with the gloves I bought I'd have to go for something less than $300. And can you elaborate on how the new Cleto is bad? That really does sway me more towards getting the FG-5000 if I can get one for under $300 hahaha. Has anyone tried the new FG-5000 and can compare it to the old one?

Edit: Pulled the trigger on the $261 FG-5000 btw. I think that's too good a price to pass up.

Nice, I forgot to mention that. Was going to tell you about the Everlast MX headgear, but the winning is always better. Hope the size fits!

Great choice! As logn as it's the right size I think you'll be happy with it :)

if it don't fit, you can Pm me. I'll explain on some of the things you could do to get a better fit. That is, as long as the older model has a bendable bar.

Back