Need Advise, anyone been in my shoes?? I fell off the wagon.. BAD!

That's what you get for letting a girl be your doctor.

Well, the SHE Dr. wasn't the idiot so much as the second male Dr. who decided it had to be MRSA since it didn't go away. He should have swabbed me as it is a serious diagnosis/ treatment which easily could have been identified. He was the weekend guy and was probably in a hurry. My regular Dr. who I was able to see later on (the first two were covering Drs.) said it was too late to test for it since I had already started the insane meds Dr. Idiot prescribed. I didn't get angry at the woman Doc because based on the appearance of the sores and my current situation, it was a good call... when it did not go away after the round of meds, that's when it should have been looked at more seriously.

For the record I work with Doctors directly and being a man certainly does not make you a better Doc. Actually, because of this stereotype most female Docs are twice as educated and devoted as to make up for this, because they are fully aware of what they are up against. Actually I think minorities are in the same boat. They have to work twice as hard in college to prove themselves because in reality people stereotype.

This is true for the training as well. I trained with almost all men and I held myself to their standards, so I trained twice as hard and worked twice as hard to get the respect from them that I needed. I have seen this as a problem in gyms though. Where the girl is being protected from training or the guys don't know what to do with her, so she doesn't get the sparring she needs or the pressure she needs and gets her ass kicked in the fight. It's not too common, but when I see it I am bothered by it.

This sounds exactly like what happened to me about 5 years ago. Things were going great in every department and then I took a trip to Costa Rica. I fell extremely sick during the last couple days there - thought it was swine or bird flu or something. Came back home went straight to the hospital, got put on antibiotics etc.
It might've been my imagination, but I felt like something was off for a while after that - seriously off. My training fire, motivation, aggression seemed to dip and I lost some weight.
But, I also had a few nasty things happen to me at once (seems like bad things do come in threes) which may have contributed. This all happened at roughly the same time, just when it seemed things couldn't be going any better. I didn't know if my lethargy, lack of motivation, confidence were because of something biological, mental, or situational. I couldn't figure it out.
Anyway, eventually things got sorted out and I am in a much better spot now.

Here's something that helped me out. Now this isn't a cure-all or the be all and end all, but it's a little piece that maybe you'll find helpful. Try fasting once a week or so. It was like hitting a reset button for me, it helped me re-experience that fire and motivation, and gave me back a lot of my energy and focus. Just don't eat all day (no juices, no soups, no supplements, nothing except water) and break your fast at around 8pm-9pm.

Might be worth a shot.

This sounds exactly like what happened to me about 5 years ago. Things were going great in every department and then I took a trip to Costa Rica. I fell extremely sick during the last couple days there - thought it was swine or bird flu or something. Came back home went straight to the hospital, got put on antibiotics etc.
It might've been my imagination, but I felt like something was off for a while after that - seriously off. My training fire, motivation, aggression seemed to dip and I lost some weight.
But, I also had a few nasty things happen to me at once (seems like bad things do come in threes) which may have contributed. This all happened at roughly the same time, just when it seemed things couldn't be going any better. I didn't know if my lethargy, lack of motivation, confidence were because of something biological, mental, or situational. I couldn't figure it out.
Anyway, eventually things got sorted out and I am in a much better spot now.

Here's something that helped me out. Now this isn't a cure-all or the be all and end all, but it's a little piece that maybe you'll find helpful. Try fasting once a week or so. It was like hitting a reset button for me, it helped me re-experience that fire and motivation, and gave me back a lot of my energy and focus. Just don't eat all day (no juices, no soups, no supplements, nothing except water) and break your fast at around 8pm-9pm.

Might be worth a shot.

Wow, really? I have a fighter friend who does this as well. I always thought it did more harm than good, but I will give it a try. Once a week huh? I will try it.

I understand there is no one thing to fix this, but I think a healthy combination of things will do the trick. I am trying to look back on all that drove me at the time. It's part of why I came back to this forum. I loved Sherdog and found it motivating and informative.

The partner who was helping me one on one with wrestling at the time warned me about the heavy antibiotics damaging my system. I think he was on to something. I know my body very well and that whole fiasco was crippling long term. Maybe I need to add some probiotics. You would think by now I would be back to normal, but I'm not.

The idea of not only getting back on track, but surpassing my old self is thrilling. I will focus on that. Also, as mentioned before, my hobby does not pay my bills or raise my kids, so I need to be realistic and fair with my expectations.

In the past I had no social life other than my training partners and my life was work, kids, training.. I guess that is what makes me happiest.

Thank you for the advice! I appreciate all the feedback, it's very helpful and being back on Sherdog is just what I need as well :icon_chee

From someone who has had MRSA, the antiobiotic treatment they give you for it is pretty much hell. It was probably a 2 or 3 week set back for me, going through treatment and then waiting for the sore to heal. It's rough stuff man, pretty hard on the ole immune system.

MRSA is very common in the medical field, any time a hospital has high rates of MRSA they swab all the nurses and staff's noses for it. If you got it and your training partners did not, I would assume you got it from your place of work.

From someone who has had MRSA, the antiobiotic treatment they give you for it is pretty much hell. It was probably a 2 or 3 week set back for me, going through treatment and then waiting for the sore to heal. It's rough stuff man, pretty hard on the ole immune system.

MRSA is very common in the medical field, any time a hospital has high rates of MRSA they swab all the nurses and staff's noses for it. If you got it and your training partners did not, I would assume you got it from your place of work.

My assumption as well. I also wonder if it was a misdiagnosis too since I have had bouts of bizarre symptoms on and off since, and have never returned to my baseline. Whatever it was, I believed it to be systemic because the bites were not in one location but all over my arms and couple on my thigh. I guess I will never know since none of my blood work has shown anything.

I am going to assume I am healthy and make a grand effort for the next few months. If that does not work I need to see another Doctor.

You wont get back to where you were overnight, Im sure you know that.

Start slow and just reacquaint yourself with training. Hopefully it will reignite the passion you had for it and go from there.

My assumption as well. I also wonder if it was a misdiagnosis too since I have had bouts of bizarre symptoms on and off since, and have never returned to my baseline. Whatever it was, I believed it to be systemic because the bites were not in one location but all over my arms and couple on my thigh. I guess I will never know since none of my blood work has shown anything.

I am going to assume I am healthy and make a grand effort for the next few months. If that does not work I need to see another Doctor.

MRSA is easily spreadable man. You scratch one and then touch your arm, and you quite possibly have another one on the way. Mine started off looking like a spider bite or a bad mosquito bite and then just got gross, hot and painful quick.

That being said, you had some kind of skin infection sounds like. Then you took common anti biotics which did nothing, then you took anti biotics specifically used for MRSA and the stuff cleared up. That is a pretty decent indicator that you had MRSA, coupled with the fact you said you have had blood tests since then. Keep in mind I am not a doctor, I am Pre PT and have had many many skin infections myself from wrestling and mma.

MRSA is easily spreadable man. You scratch one and then touch your arm, and you quite possibly have another one on the way. Mine started off looking like a spider bite or a bad mosquito bite and then just got gross, hot and painful quick.

That being said, you had some kind of skin infection sounds like. Then you took common anti biotics which did nothing, then you took anti biotics specifically used for MRSA and the stuff cleared up. That is a pretty decent indicator that you had MRSA, coupled with the fact you said you have had blood tests since then. Keep in mind I am not a doctor, I am Pre PT and have had many many skin infections myself from wrestling and mma.

Yes, I like this scenario. I'd rather just be out of shape. I did however, have several bouts of bizarre symptoms come and go as I mentioned, but perhaps they were just stress induced. I hope. My course of action right now it assume I am simply out of shape and need to reconnect with old ties. I will spend the next few months playing catch-up.

I have been doing that off and on for quite some time as well as hot yoga.

Do you feel any particular exercises are best for an energy boost??

Training doesn't give you an "energy boost", it makes you fucking tired.

But in the long term, doing proper S&C training and becoming healthier, stronger, more fit, it will just make you feel better in your body every moment of every day (except after you're done heavy training, that always feels like a truck ran over you).

Do you feel any particular exercises are best for an energy boost??

5-10 x 10 100m sprints always make me feel good and 'up' after....as do short higher intensity kettlebell workouts...like Ross's magic 50 warrior workout (see my log for details).

Hey, bud. I've been there.
I don't mean to belittle your problem at all, or make light of what sounds like a very serious medical condition. However, it sounds like, at some point, your mental limitations began to outweigh the physical ones.
The fact that you even thought to mention your break-up and focused so much on your depression and lack of energy, suggests to me that those are the demons you're fighting here. It's a common thing to lose motivation in the wake of emotional loss or discouragement.
At one point, after a break-up, I had many of the same struggles. I got out of shape and depressed. I lost "who I was". I'm a strength coach. Taking the time to focus on my training goals and walking the walk of what I preach to my clients, gave me back my sense of peace. When I train hard, I feel proud of who I am and what I'm doing. Focus on that and the other positive things in your life that you can control. Let go of hurtful feelings about a past that you cannot change.
Starting any new habit (or re-starting an old one) can be hard. For me, consistency early on was the key. Just a bit of consistency in those early workouts, and you'll see some results before you know it. Let those results get you excited, and motivated to produce more results.
Keep the big picture in mind, and work progressively. You can also use this time to go "back to basics" and correct any pre-existing weaknesses. In the end, you'll come back stronger than ever.

Joe
www.joetoproathlete.com

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

-Roosevelt

"The wagon" refers to sobriety, FYI.

Hey, bud. I've been there.
I don't mean to belittle your problem at all, or make light of what sounds like a very serious medical condition. However, it sounds like, at some point, your mental limitations began to outweigh the physical ones.
The fact that you even thought to mention your break-up and focused so much on your depression and lack of energy, suggests to me that those are the demons you're fighting here. It's a common thing to lose motivation in the wake of emotional loss or discouragement.
At one point, after a break-up, I had many of the same struggles. I got out of shape and depressed. I lost "who I was". I'm a strength coach. Taking the time to focus on my training goals and walking the walk of what I preach to my clients, gave me back my sense of peace. When I train hard, I feel proud of who I am and what I'm doing. Focus on that and the other positive things in your life that you can control. Let go of hurtful feelings about a past that you cannot change.
Starting any new habit (or re-starting an old one) can be hard. For me, consistency early on was the key. Just a bit of consistency in those early workouts, and you'll see some results before you know it. Let those results get you excited, and motivated to produce more results.
Keep the big picture in mind, and work progressively. You can also use this time to go "back to basics" and correct any pre-existing weaknesses. In the end, you'll come back stronger than ever.

Joe
www.joetoproathlete.com

You very well may be 100% correct. I know that the mind and body are equal players. I have been getting in contact with old people and starting back this weekend. Just this step has shown me how distorted some of my thinking has been. This is after all, a very mental game, so it will only help me evolve :) Thank you for the advice and support.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

-Roosevelt

Nice :)

Back