Need Advise, anyone been in my shoes?? I fell off the wagon.. BAD!

ForeverFiending

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So, long story, I used to train like crazy. I had a log that I kept and I trained as many hours as a part time job. I had a boxing gym/coach, a BJJ gym, a regular gym for conditioning, a kickboxing gym, and I used them all. I competed, I was in great shape and I was obsessed with training and I think they were the happiest years of my life.

At one point I was training for my first MMA bout (I had done boxing, BJJ tourneys, muay thai, and kickboxing, and sparred MMA like crazy with ammys and pros). About 2-3 weeks from the fight (I was around peaking time) I developed some sort of skin infection. It was Summer and all of my mosquito bites turned into open sores.

At the time I was getting a lot of no gi wrestling one on one with a partner as my wrestling is my weakness. I didn't think anything of the sores because I figured I just scratched them open somehow, but they became big and nasty and hurt like hell in the heat. None of my training partners had this. I asked everyone I was rubbing on at the time. I thought maybe my immune system was down since I was peaking? I don't know...

Anyways, I went the Dr. She looked at it and said it was Impetigo and gave me a heavy dose of antibiotics to take for several days (not sure what kind but she was mumbling to herself about the dose and looked at me and said "I think you can handle it")

It didn't work. I took all the meds. I went back and say another stupid Dr. and with great regret of my ignorance at the time (he should have swabbed me and tested me) He decided by looking at me and by the fact that the first meds didn't work that I had MRSA. Long story short, I went on a ridiculous amount of antibiotics. I couldn't work until I was cleared because I work with patients at a hospital. So I was given heavy anitbiotic soap to wash with, cream to put up my nose (to be sure I would pass my swab to return to work, I guess they swab your nose for MRSA) and heavy pills. I became sick for it all and it took weeks. I scratched the fight (of course the promoter still wanted me to fight) I couldn't train, I couldn't even run. I was sick and depressed over it all.

So I got rid of the infection (or whatever it was) and it went down hill from there. I slowly but surely dwindled in my training and got fat and depressed. I was lethargic. I was depressed as well, I guess fighting was my therapy and it kept me happy.

I always look back and wonder what that infection was. I work in the medical field and I don't know if I got the right diagnosis. This all happened Summer of 2011.

Anyways, I have struggled since then to get back to where I was in my game. I haven't even gotten close. I did fight a kickboxing fight Jan 2012 and did very well fight wise, but I still didn't come close to my prior conditioning. I also did NAGA that May.

I am always trying to figure out what I need to do at this point. By now I am really truly out of shape. I have gained a lot of weight too. I have way less energy, tired a lot. I really would like to get back into fighting. I have lowered my standards as to not compare myself to what I was back then, I just want to feel good and get back to training/competing.

All of my old training partners have advanced far beyond me. I am happy for them, but it's depressing in a way.

I am wondering if anyone has had similar experiences and if so, what did you do? What do you guys suggest??? How to start??

A little info about me... I am a single parent of two kids and I work full-time. That alone may be part of why I am exhausted so much, but I was doing the same then as well. I am 31 now. My ex is a fighter as well. We broke up shortly before this whole fiasco and I sometimes wonder if I am avoiding training because of it. I don't know if most of this is mental or physical. I often wonder if that infection is something that is still in me and has gone undetected (I had a lot of blood work since because I never felt right after that) and my issues are my body, or is it mental? Maybe I am just tired because I work so much and have a family to take care of and get burnt out?? Can anyone relate??

Thank you.. sorry it is long!!! Any advise would be great. I'm really trying to make a serious effort to get back into my old passion!!!

you work in the medical field? can you be a little more specific? could you have gotten through work and not from training?

you work in the medical field? can you be a little more specific? could you have gotten through work and not from training?

Yes that is very possible and that has certainly crossed my mind. I could have gotten something under my nails and scratched the bites. Maybe I got it from the gym, maybe the bug bites themselves. I have no idea.

Like I said, I have had a lot of blood work done and nothing has been found. I also had a couple bouts of bizarre symptoms which have come and gone. I go back and forth in my mind as to what my problem is. If it's physical or mental or circumstantial? I don't even care anymore, so long as I find a solution. I keep thinking if I get back to some sort of training regime I will continue on, but I don't even know where to begin.

The only thing my Dr. mentioned was chronic fatigue syndrome, but I don't think I even believe that is a real thing or not. I don't care what you call it, I just want to be going in the right direction.

Find a gym with barbells and a squat rack.

Start doing a beginner's strength routine 2-3 times a week.

Add some light cardio on off days if you feel like it.

Try to get some sort of "mostly-healthy" diet going.

Repeat for a few months.

Take it from there.

Find a gym with barbells and a squat rack.

Start doing a beginner's strength routine 2-3 times a week.

Add some light cardio on off days if you feel like it.

Try to get some sort of "mostly-healthy" diet going.

Repeat for a few months.

Take it from there.

I have been doing that off and on for quite some time as well as hot yoga.

Do you feel any particular exercises are best for an energy boost??

I am in the same boat. I haven't worked out consistently in two years, and I totally feel it.

I have been doing that off and on for quite some time as well as hot yoga.

Try that, except without the "off". What motivates you, and gets you to higher levels, is progress: when you first warm up with weights that used to be your maximum, when you first notice that you have been running for 5k and you feel the same as you did when you started, when you first realize all your trousers are loose around the waist line. Once you get like that, it becomes harder not to exercise than to exercise. And you'll only get like that with consistent effort.

Do you feel any particular exercises are best for an energy boost??

I don't personally think there are any exercises that give you an "energy boost" as such, although low or very low intensity exercises like a brisk walk, very easy run or stretching can often make you feel very good.

If you have issues with being tired, I'd consider things like

- Look at your diet/nutrition. So many people have retarded ideas about eating: at a general level, many people feel guilty about eating and basically under eat (super-stupid, food is fuel); at a specific level, people have stupid ideas about food and food groups, e.g. thinking that fat is bad. These retardednesses often combine- people undereat, but mainly eating things that are bad for them... then they often get really hungry, and crash, and compensate by making really terrible food decisions. Like they graze on low-fat biscuits all day, thinking they are healthy, get really hungry on the way home and get a huge Domino's pizza. If that describes you, fix it. Make sure you are eating a balanced diet that has all the basic categories- carbs of several different sources, proteins of many sources (eggs, fish, meat (not just lean/low fat), nuts), fruit, vegetables. Play around with your carb intake and/or shift towards brown/higher fiber versions of you want to lose weight. But eat properly, often and well. Consume junk (refined carbs and fast food) rarely if ever.
- Look at your sleep. You might not be sleeping that well. Lots of things you can try: Get rid of noise and excess light (e.g. get blackout curtains); Consider a 30-60 minute "cooldown" before you sleep, e.g. read a book, probably no electronic devices; Perform a relaxation exercise in bed before you sleep; try a different matress of pillow; try reducing caffeine consumption (tea, coffee, soft drinks) especially after lunch time; reduce alcohol consumption.
- Try to eliminate stress. The worst kind of stress comes from being subjected to problems you can't do anything about, and worrying about them. Either concentrate on letting go, or identify practical courses of action that you can take. Often, talking through things with a friend, just to agree what you are going to do, and then checking in with them on progress, is the best way. Those sorts of problems are "disempowering", so sometimes it can help to focus on areas of your life where you can do something and have control- "empowering" things.

I think this will work for a lot of people who claim to be tired all the time.

build habits slowly and consistently.

this may be an overly simplified example, but it'll give you the idea.

so since you are trying to get into better shape and get into exercising and boxing/kickboxing/bjj again. do something that pertains to those goals everyday, without fail, no matter what else is going on.

do 5 pushups every morning. before you do anything else. before you pee, brush your teeth, shower. first thing every morning, do 5 push ups. for a few weeks. then slowly add to it. maybe add another 5 before bed. maybe do 10. 5,10, 30, 50, whatever number, it doesnt matter for now, just get some in, to build the habit. once you have the habit built, it becomes easier to do more and more.

I was recently stuck at home looking for work and havent been into a gym for a while and couldnt get motivated to do anything with myself. so everytime I got up from my seat to go to the bathroom, i'd bang out a set of pushups. at first it was only a few sets a day of ~10. I started doing pull ups as well, at first just a few, once twice a day a few times a week,. eventually, I was alternating between sets of pushups and pullups everytime I got up from my seat. I kind of over did it a bit as now I have a bit of tendinitis in my elbow, but I have recently signed up for a gym membership a week ago and havent missed a planned session yet.

every journey begins with one step

If it doesn't, it's probably time to see a doctor and have some blood work done, to see if there's a more serious underlying issue.

If it doesn't, it's probably time to see a doctor and have some blood work done, to see if there's a more serious underlying issue.

Yes, agreed.

yeah, back in 2008 I had been obsessed with triathlons and marathons for 8 or 9 years. In the spring of 2008, my folks got divorced, my girl who I had been with for 3 years and I split up and I got laid off from my job all within a 1 month period.

PRior to all this (which all happened without warning), I was training around 25 hours a week, doing job I enjoyed and coming home to a girl and training with her too. That shit all ended really quickly.

I had a tough time over the next 2 years because I had to take jobs that really cut into training time and my weekly training went from 20+ hours a week down to 10, to 5 and eventually down to 30-40 minutes of running in the mornings. Diet also went to shit, I went from a 175lb triathlete to a 225lb skinny fat bastard. I still went to local 5ks and bike rides but it was nothing like what i'd done before, I ended up cutting ties with all my friends from that community because I was so embarrassed of the shape I was in.

In 2010, I decided that enough was enough, started eating right, dropped the $$$ on a home gym (power rack, bars, plates, rowing machine), and signed up for some ultra runs. Ive kept it up and improved my physique and fitness to levels much better than before my "break".

I started lifting, getting strong and finding goals that were hard but achievable and going for them one by one. The last 4 years of training, adventures and competitions has been epic for me and it didn't happen overnight but its been great.

When I feel like Im training with no purpose, Ill rind a smoker (boxing, muay thai) or a competition or a race and start training for it. Life is good and time really fixes things. New girl, parents re-married, awesome job.

good luck!!!

Try that, except without the "off". What motivates you, and gets you to higher levels, is progress: when you first warm up with weights that used to be your maximum, when you first notice that you have been running for 5k and you feel the same as you did when you started, when you first realize all your trousers are loose around the waist line. Once you get like that, it becomes harder not to exercise than to exercise. And you'll only get like that with consistent effort.

I don't personally think there are any exercises that give you an "energy boost" as such, although low or very low intensity exercises like a brisk walk, very easy run or stretching can often make you feel very good.

If you have issues with being tired, I'd consider things like

- Look at your diet/nutrition. So many people have retarded ideas about eating: at a general level, many people feel guilty about eating and basically under eat (super-stupid, food is fuel); at a specific level, people have stupid ideas about food and food groups, e.g. thinking that fat is bad. These retardednesses often combine- people undereat, but mainly eating things that are bad for them... then they often get really hungry, and crash, and compensate by making really terrible food decisions. Like they graze on low-fat biscuits all day, thinking they are healthy, get really hungry on the way home and get a huge Domino's pizza. If that describes you, fix it. Make sure you are eating a balanced diet that has all the basic categories- carbs of several different sources, proteins of many sources (eggs, fish, meat (not just lean/low fat), nuts), fruit, vegetables. Play around with your carb intake and/or shift towards brown/higher fiber versions of you want to lose weight. But eat properly, often and well. Consume junk (refined carbs and fast food) rarely if ever.
- Look at your sleep. You might not be sleeping that well. Lots of things you can try: Get rid of noise and excess light (e.g. get blackout curtains); Consider a 30-60 minute "cooldown" before you sleep, e.g. read a book, probably no electronic devices; Perform a relaxation exercise in bed before you sleep; try a different matress of pillow; try reducing caffeine consumption (tea, coffee, soft drinks) especially after lunch time; reduce alcohol consumption.
- Try to eliminate stress. The worst kind of stress comes from being subjected to problems you can't do anything about, and worrying about them. Either concentrate on letting go, or identify practical courses of action that you can take. Often, talking through things with a friend, just to agree what you are going to do, and then checking in with them on progress, is the best way. Those sorts of problems are "disempowering", so sometimes it can help to focus on areas of your life where you can do something and have control- "empowering" things.

Thanks for the perspective. I do have sleeping problems now and I have become fairly desperate with it. I tried pills over the counter and I'm going to try a mattress topper, but it's honestly becoming a major issue.

Stress is a huge factor as well and I know how much it effects the body. There's not much I can do about the stress in my life right now, but I always used training as my therapy and it did the trick before. I noticed that in the past I could work out/ train and I would feel more energized/ motivated, but now it seems that when I work out I simply lost what energy I had and it does not have the same effect. Not sure if it's normal, but when I very first started working out years ago, I remember how much energy I would have after.

Diet is pretty bad. I have been working on that.

The sad thing is that I know how to work out, I know what to do. Or I did. I did a great job keeping a training schedule, mixing up routines and everything, but now I feel clueless at ground zero.

build habits slowly and consistently.

this may be an overly simplified example, but it'll give you the idea.

so since you are trying to get into better shape and get into exercising and boxing/kickboxing/bjj again. do something that pertains to those goals everyday, without fail, no matter what else is going on.

do 5 pushups every morning. before you do anything else. before you pee, brush your teeth, shower. first thing every morning, do 5 push ups. for a few weeks. then slowly add to it. maybe add another 5 before bed. maybe do 10. 5,10, 30, 50, whatever number, it doesnt matter for now, just get some in, to build the habit. once you have the habit built, it becomes easier to do more and more.

I was recently stuck at home looking for work and havent been into a gym for a while and couldnt get motivated to do anything with myself. so everytime I got up from my seat to go to the bathroom, i'd bang out a set of pushups. at first it was only a few sets a day of ~10. I started doing pull ups as well, at first just a few, once twice a day a few times a week,. eventually, I was alternating between sets of pushups and pullups everytime I got up from my seat. I kind of over did it a bit as now I have a bit of tendinitis in my elbow, but I have recently signed up for a gym membership a week ago and havent missed a planned session yet.

every journey begins with one step

That's actually very good advice. Little things like that go a long ways.

I think I will see a different Dr. and get a fresh perspective to be safe.

Mixing up routines and everything

I wouldn't encourage this too much.

Your workouts should be based on some core set of activities that don't change that much. E.g. for strength, the big powerlifting movements, or the Oly lifts plus squatting. If you are a runner, a steady diet of long runs, runs of the distance you'd like to improve at, and some form of sprints. A bit of variety in how you approach things, and especially about supplemental exercises, is good. But if you want to be good at something, there are probably a small number of activities that are most important for being good at it, and they should take 70-95% of your effort.

Focusing/specializing a bit is also important in terms of building motivation and habit. The more you focus, the quicker progress will be and the more motivating that will be. There is also the option of following fixed programmes, so that you know exactly what to do every time. It's often easier to get off your ass and do something in the gym when you know exactly what it is- go to the gym, do an achievable set of things that your programme said you have to do, done. .

So in your case, something like a basic strength programme that tells you exactly what to do each time (e.g. SS or 5/3/1 with a fixed assistance template), and something like a couch-to-5K would probably be ideal.

yeah, back in 2008 I had been obsessed with triathlons and marathons for 8 or 9 years. In the spring of 2008, my folks got divorced, my girl who I had been with for 3 years and I split up and I got laid off from my job all within a 1 month period.

PRior to all this (which all happened without warning), I was training around 25 hours a week, doing job I enjoyed and coming home to a girl and training with her too. That shit all ended really quickly.

I had a tough time over the next 2 years because I had to take jobs that really cut into training time and my weekly training went from 20+ hours a week down to 10, to 5 and eventually down to 30-40 minutes of running in the mornings. Diet also went to shit, I went from a 175lb triathlete to a 225lb skinny fat bastard. I still went to local 5ks and bike rides but it was nothing like what i'd done before, I ended up cutting ties with all my friends from that community because I was so embarrassed of the shape I was in.

In 2010, I decided that enough was enough, started eating right, dropped the $$$ on a home gym (power rack, bars, plates, rowing machine), and signed up for some ultra runs. Ive kept it up and improved my physique and fitness to levels much better than before my "break".

I started lifting, getting strong and finding goals that were hard but achievable and going for them one by one. The last 4 years of training, adventures and competitions has been epic for me and it didn't happen overnight but its been great.

When I feel like Im training with no purpose, Ill rind a smoker (boxing, muay thai) or a competition or a race and start training for it. Life is good and time really fixes things. New girl, parents re-married, awesome job.

good luck!!!

I can totally relate. It wasn't just he illness but the breakup and honestly the shame of scratching the fight too. Like you, I also broke off ties with my training partners who were practically family to me because I was ashamed of my lack of training and how much weight I gained.

It's a small community, so many times when I was pumped up to go back to my old trainers I was terrified people would see how terrible I looked. Not to mention my ex still trains at some of these places. I don't even go to fights sometimes because I don't want anyone to see me. How terrible! I keep thinking I will get in shape first and then go back to my old gyms, but that never happens. Running and lifting weights just doesn't cut it.

I'm so glad to hear that you not only got back on track, but you surpassed your old self. I would love that. I was actually thinking that in my last fight I had reached some sort of mental maturity for fighting that I didn't have before. I was fat and winded by the end of the fight, but it was the best fight I ever had. If I could get my body back in gear and make a schedule happen, I could very well be even better than before.

That was very inspiring. The thought of being even better than I was before is motivating. As time has gone on I keep lowering my expectations. I need to come up with a real game plan.. Thank you

I wouldn't encourage this too much.

Your workouts should be based on some core set of activities that don't change that much. E.g. for strength, the big powerlifting movements, or the Oly lifts plus squatting. If you are a runner, a steady diet of long runs, runs of the distance you'd like to improve at, and some form of sprints. A bit of variety in how you approach things, and especially about supplemental exercises, is good. But if you want to be good at something, there are probably a small number of activities that are most important for being good at it, and they should take 70-95% of your effort.

Focusing/specializing a bit is also important in terms of building motivation and habit. The more you focus, the quicker progress will be and the more motivating that will be. There is also the option of following fixed programmes, so that you know exactly what to do every time. It's often easier to get off your ass and do something in the gym when you know exactly what it is- go to the gym, do an achievable set of things that your programme said you have to do, done. .

So in your case, something like a basic strength programme that tells you exactly what to do each time (e.g. SS or 5/3/1 with a fixed assistance template), and something like a couch-to-5K would probably be ideal.

Yes, I need something that is fixed. I had a brilliant schedule in the past of boxing gym, BJJ, MMA, and I had strength and conditioning routines designed for fighting. I can't make up random workouts. I'm stupid.

Somewhere along the line I lost my ability to put this crap together. Well, partly because I need to spend time with my kids too. I used to drag them to every gym, but now I don't think that's so bad. It's better than seeing me fat and tired.

There is also the cost. I would spend hundreds a month on training and gear. It's hard to justify that now. It used to be such a priority. I think I need to allow it. Lifting weights and running is enjoyable, but it doesn't cut it for me. I need a purpose behind it.

- if you enjoy training, why not get back into it? Its not like the ex trains at the gym you go to?

- and so what if your training partners have progressed, that doesnt make em better people. Their life situation is totally different than yourd on day to day basis

- you need to manage your schedule better and have balance and or/accept the reality of your position and circumstances. You're a father of 2, you need too work and support yourself and kids and want to train and progress in your athletic goals at the same time rest for yourself. Obviously between trying to be a great father and great athlete both requires a lot of time but realize whats more important to help get you and your kids by? Fighting isnt paying your bills and until then just make it a form of mental therapy with added physical benifits and keep it reasonable schedule around work and father time. If you're so busy there are so many calethentic/body weight workouts that you can do at home. You can even look youtube videos if you need ideas or even asks here toput together a daily routine.

Last edited:
Anyways, I went the Dr. She looked at it and said it was Impetigo and gave me a heavy dose of antibiotics to take for several days (not sure what kind but she was mumbling to herself about the dose and looked at me and said "I think you can handle it")

That's what you get for letting a girl be your doctor.

- if you enjoy training, why not get back into it? Its not like the ex trains at the gym you go to?

- and so what if your training partners have progressed, that doesnt make em better people. Their life situation is totally different than yourd on day to day basis

- you need to manage your schedule better and have balance and or/accept the reality of your position and circumstances. You're a father of 2, you need too work and support yourself and kids and want to train and progress in your athletic goals at the same time rest for yourself. Obviously between trying to be a great father and great athlete both requires a lot of time but realize whats more important to help get you and your kids by? Fighting isnt paying your bills and until then just make it a form of mental therapy with added physical benifits and keep it reasonable schedule around work and father time. If you're so busy there are so many calethentic/body weight workouts that you can do at home. You can even look youtube videos if you need ideas or even asks here toput together a daily routine.

Yes, that is exactly what I need. True true

Back