Need advice on workouts while also boxing.

Rusty1

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello Everyone I have just started boxing, but when I workout in the week I notice I'am really tired when it comes time to do boxing.

I box 3 days out of the week and I workout 5-6 days a week
I have tried putting many different workout regiments together but I cant manage to make it work without being really tired when It comes time to box.

Can anyone give me some advice or their workout regiment and workouts that they pair with boxing in the week.

Thanks

I box monday wednesday friday. Do 15 to 20 minutes of jogging/skipping rope tuesday and thursday, and do strength training on saturday morning before work. Needless to say I have a hard time making it to work on Sunday.

I can do this consistently when I:
Sleep 9 hours a night, maybe 7.5 2 or 3 nights.
Get quality and sufficient protein (about 100 grams a day average)
Get quality carbohydrates
Hydrate.

I use coffee pre workout sometimes, and push myself for intensity on boxing days, and usually only put in 60 to 90 minutes. Tacking on 2 or 3 extra rounds to make up for a half hearted workout misses the point.

If my weight gym was open friday night I'd skip calisthenics and just do my lifting then, but that's not the case unfortunately.

Generally speaking, sleep and diet will be the foundation so ensure you are getting enough quality and quantity of both.

Then you can start to make adjustments to your program depending on when you are feeling the most tired, and what goals are more important to you.

8-9 sessions a week is quite a lot for an amateur athlete. Did you jump right into it, or did you gradually increase your workload to it's present state?

Yep. Check your diet. Everything relates to diet and rest.

I box monday wednesday friday. Do 15 to 20 minutes of jogging/skipping rope tuesday and thursday, and do strength training on saturday morning before work. Needless to say I have a hard time making it to work on Sunday.

I can do this consistently when I:
Sleep 9 hours a night, maybe 7.5 2 or 3 nights.
Get quality and sufficient protein (about 100 grams a day average)
Get quality carbohydrates
Hydrate.

I use coffee pre workout sometimes, and push myself for intensity on boxing days, and usually only put in 60 to 90 minutes. Tacking on 2 or 3 extra rounds to make up for a half hearted workout misses the point.

If my weight gym was open friday night I'd skip calisthenics and just do my lifting then, but that's not the case unfortunately.

100 grams per day? I'll get that in one meal most days. Maybe that's why you have trouble getting to work a day after lifting.

You're right. I should probably up it to 2.2 grams per pound of body weight.
snorting.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure if that's sarcasm or not but that's unnecessary. I know for damn sure I don't need 450 grams of protein per day. Just eat moar dead animals.

He might have meant 5-6 sessions total? 3 boxing and 2-3 for S&C? I'm not sure.

I wondered if you spoke with him in another thread. In which case I was gonna advise he back down to one session a day for now. He could being doing 2-a-days on some days for all I know.

I thought 2-3 grams per kg of body weight was ideal, not per pound of BW?

I'm not sure if that's sarcasm or not but that's unnecessary. I know for damn sure I don't need 450 grams of protein per day. Just eat moar dead animals.

I don't see markedly higher gains on protein binges, even over weeks. I do, however, feel only partially recovered if I get less than 90 to 100 grams on a daily average over a week. (More on workout days, less on "active rest" days)

Then again I rarely get a chance to complete all six days back to back. If only training was my job.....

This is what I am doing right now

Monday- 200 push ups, 50 pulls ups, 50 dips- then boxing 6 hours later for (1hr)

Tuesday- power clean 10 x 5, 100 squats, 100 sit ups, 60 leg raises, 2 miles

Wednesday-various kettle bell workouts, 50 burpees, then boxing 6 hours later for (1hr)

Thursday-200 push ups, 50 pulls ups, 50 dips- then boxing 6 hours later for (1hr)

Friday-power clean 10 x 5, 100 squats, 100 sit ups, 60 leg raises, 2 miles

Saturday-various kettle bell workouts, 50 burpee, 1 mile

Sunday-rest

Im taking muscle pharm protein- 3 scoops a day which is 72 grams of protein total, then I try to eat healthy throughout the day.

What do you guys think, this is my second week doing this.

lots of conditioning work... are you eating enough?

I would say I am eating enough Im just wondering if what im doing maybe to much.

what's age? weight? how many years you been boxing? Do you have a on/off season like UK ABA? If so where are you at?

Generally I would say this is too much bodyweight conditioning and i'm not surprised you're tired for your boxing sessions.

Personally I use 5/3/1 workout Mon-Wed-Fri mornings with a short but intense conditioning session at the end of Mondays/Fridays session. 2k row, burpees, hill spring what ever I fancy.

3 evening sessions sometimes boxing sometimes jiu jitsu depends what I want to focus on.
Hard sparring Saturday sometimes extra sparring Sundays.

If you have an off season, cut out 80% of the bodyweight stuff and lift !! Keep hitting pads but drop the intensity of the sessions. On season, do what your coach tells you, he should know best

I wondered if you spoke with him in another thread. In which case I was gonna advise he back down to one session a day for now. He could being doing 2-a-days on some days for all I know.

I guess he's doing 2-a-days :)

TS, where the barbells at yo? What's your progression/goals with the calistenics? Finish the workouts in a faster time as a measure of conditioning? Complete more reps to improve muscular endurance?

Back