Need advice on my Madcow progression

MrImperial

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Whats up guys I recently decided to start training at a formal MT gym a few months ago instead of only weight training. I came here, did research via the FAQ and decided that I would do the 3 day Madcow routine as well as 2 days a week of MT. There are a few questions about Madcow I was hoping I could get answers for and they are:

1) I can't seem to figure out what a Deload week/period is. It seems like there are a million variants to Madcow and the one I picked came from Stronglifts. This routine doesn't appear to have any Deload phase or rest phase while some do. It is basically 12 weeks of gradual progression. Not that I have any problem with 12 weeks of gradual progression but I am just wondering under what circumstances do people decide to do a Deload phase? As of right now I am finishing my 5th week so therefore I am passing my 5 rep maxes.

2) What is the theory behind less is more? For example, why is that for the most part Madcow has me ramping up to basically 1 heavy set but other workouts (such as some college football routines) have me doing 5X5 heavy? It feel strange sometimes when I'm working through my sets and I don't break a sweat till the last set. Thanks in advance for and advice.

Last edited:
If your regular week would be

Monday: Squat 5x5 / BP 5x5 / Row 5x5
Wednesday: Squat 4x5 / Deadlift 4x5 / Military 4x5
Friday: Squat 4x5, 1x3, 1x8 / Bench 4x5, 1x3, 1x8 / Row 4x5, 1x3, 1x8

Your deload week(s) could be:

Monday: Squat 3x3 / BP 3x3 / Row 3x3
Wednesday: No Squat / Deadlift 3x3 / Military 3x3
Friday: Squat 2x3, 1x5 / Bench 2x3, 1x5 / Row 2x3, 1x5

An alternative would be to cut a training day all together and do something like:

Monday:
Squat: 3x3 / Bench: 3x3 / Rows: 3x3

Wednesday/Thursday:
Light Squat (70% of monday): 3x3 / Deadlift: 3x3 / Military Press: 3x3 / Chins:3x3

Best thing really is to do a week in a planned way and then in the future you'll be able to go by feeling. Perceived Fatigue is a very important part of the whole thing in the long run.

If your regular week would be

Monday: Squat 5x5 / BP 5x5 / Row 5x5
Wednesday: Squat 4x5 / Deadlift 4x5 / Military 4x5
Friday: Squat 4x5, 1x3, 1x8 / Bench 4x5, 1x3, 1x8 / Row 4x5, 1x3, 1x8

Your deload week(s) could be:

Monday: Squat 3x3 / BP 3x3 / Row 3x3
Wednesday: No Squat / Deadlift 3x3 / Military 3x3
Friday: Squat 2x3, 1x5 / Bench 2x3, 1x5 / Row 2x3, 1x5

An alternative would be to cut a training day all together and do something like:

Monday:
Squat: 3x3 / Bench: 3x3 / Rows: 3x3

Wednesday/Thursday:
Light Squat (70% of monday): 3x3 / Deadlift: 3x3 / Military Press: 3x3 / Chins:3x3

Best thing really is to do a week in a planned way and then in the future you'll be able to go by feeling. Perceived Fatigue is a very important part of the whole thing in the long run.

So basically a deload week consists of decreasing volume or weight and is generally done in order to let the body recuperate? Thanks

yes and yes. if after you've tried you feel you need two weeks, do so. same thing if you feel you also need to decrease intensity.

Back