Need advice on a suit of MMA training / sparring gear

Eclypse

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm an aspiring MMA fighter and need some help deciding on what kind of gear to get. I already have a pair of Sprawl shorts and have some Truth gloves headed my way. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get some CK Tornado ear guards, but need some advice on everything else, specifically what kind of gear to get and where to get it. Would you please help?

If it helps, I'm 6'1" and 180lb. I have 10%-ish body fat, longer arms than average, and a light-medium to medium build, apart from my bricks for legs. I have a great deal of skill in striking, and am both learning to grapple and plan to use it just as much as I strike.

One thing about my Sprawl shorts...they're lovely, but I see a lot of UFC guys wearing something like spandex beneath their shorts. I admit I'd like to keep my genitals on a private invitation-only basis. What kind of shorts are best for "undershorts?" Preferably some that breathe well and don't give me rashes in the crotch.

Should I get head gear? I'd like to prevent face cuts as much as possible, considering the annoyance and downtime from training. I'd also like to minimize my chances of cauliflower ear, so does head gear act as ear guards as well? Are there some that do and some that don't? If they don't, can I wear ear guards with head gear?

How does a rash guard work, anyway? Is it to prevent rashes from your uniform or from a disgusting opponent? Or both? It seems I should get one from what I've read.

Do I need anything apart from the average, everyday cup?

What kind of mouthguard is best apart from the ones fitted by the dentist? I don't have the money for that mess. and my insurance doesn't cover it.

I like to hit with my elbows, so should I get pads for those?

I like to hit with my knees, too, and do takedowns, and grapple on the ground. Should I get knee pads?

Do I need footgear, forearm guards or shin guards / shin insteps?

Is there anything else I'm missing?

Eclypse said:
I'm an aspiring MMA fighter and need some help deciding on what kind of gear to get. I already have a pair of Sprawl shorts and have some Truth gloves headed my way. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get some CK Tornado ear guards, but need some advice on everything else, specifically what kind of gear to get and where to get it. Would you please help?

Good choices on the Sprawl and Truth. You'll like both.

If it helps, I'm 6'1" and 180lb. I have 10%-ish body fat, longer arms than average, and a light-medium to medium build, apart from my bricks for legs. I have a great deal of skill in striking, and am both learning to grapple and plan to use it just as much as I strike.

One thing about my Sprawl shorts...they're lovely, but I see a lot of UFC guys wearing something like spandex beneath their shorts. I admit I'd like to keep my genitals on a private invitation-only basis. What kind of shorts are best for "undershorts?" Preferably some that breathe well and don't give me rashes in the crotch.

You can wear fight shorts (tight fit) but most people only wear underwear.

Should I get head gear? I'd like to prevent face cuts as much as possible, considering the annoyance and downtime from training. I'd also like to minimize my chances of cauliflower ear, so does head gear act as ear guards as well? Are there some that do and some that don't? If they don't, can I wear ear guards with head gear?

Boxing head gear will cover your ears. I don't know to many people who wear them in MMA class.

How does a rash guard work, anyway? Is it to prevent rashes from your uniform or from a disgusting opponent? Or both? It seems I should get one from what I've read.

I will help from getting little scraps and such but most people wear them in no gi class.

Do I need anything apart from the average, everyday cup?

You can get a steel thai cup but I like the Shock Doctor Compression shorts with cup, that will take care of your underwear issue as well.

What kind of mouthguard is best apart from the ones fitted by the dentist? I don't have the money for that mess. and my insurance doesn't cover it.

Opro and Biteme make good ones.

I like to hit with my elbows, so should I get pads for those?

No elbow pads.

I like to hit with my knees, too, and do takedowns, and grapple on the ground. Should I get knee pads?

No

Do I need footgear, forearm guards or shin guards / shin insteps?

Yes get shin guards.

Is there anything else I'm missing?

You should be good.

www.SSFgear.com

Very nice SSF. Took me a while to figure out your answers were in the quote.

lol dont show up to mma class with headgear and earmuffs, its unnesisary...if its your first class the trainer will understand...you dont have to go to your first class with all the top notch gear.

if you keep scraping up your knees you can try asics gel kneepads but thats personal preference other than that good answer

How are those sprawl shorts by the way?

Thanks for all the info, SSF. I welcome any other suggestions, of course.

jadizm said:
How are those sprawl shorts by the way?
Real nice. I got the 32" Flexfighter XT Competition shorts, and they fit very, very snuglike. I usually wear a 33" in pants, depending on who I get 'em from, but I usually wear my pants a little loose. So, since I wear these snug in the legs, since I love to kick and can kick high, they fit perfectly. The stitching is real solid, as is the material. Slippery material; not sure if that's good or bad yet. The panel on your inner thigh is stretchy, which goes well with the slits in the outside thigh. It can tend to show off your undies a little, though. :redface:

I wouldnt show up your first day in all new top quality gear, i mean its up to you but people who have been there a while and dont have top quality gear might be a little rougher with ya and talk shit on u. Nothing too harsh but ya know how it is, everyone wants to give rich kids a hard time. Also just go down to your local sporting goods store, get yourself a $4 boil and bite mouthpiece, they work fine. They aint gonna be no opro or nohting but they are fine until you decide you want somethin better.
ALso you dont need any vale tudo shorts or nothin, just run down to wal mart and get yourself some jockeys. Save your money until you really get into it then decide what you liek and want to buy.

codysweet02 said:
ALso you dont need any vale tudo shorts or nothin, just run down to wal mart and get yourself some jockeys. Save your money until you really get into it then decide what you liek and want to buy.
Aren't vale tudo's much tighter than jockeys?

Back