Need Advice: Hyperextended Finger

blfdgrappler

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I hyperextended a finger yesterday while rolling. This isn't the first time I have hyperextended one. In fact, I hyperextended this same finger almost seven years ago to the day (a week before my wedding... my ring finger no less... at my bachelor party). Anyway, I wasn't doing jiu-jitsu back then, so I had all the time in the world to splint it and let it heal. Now, I just want to get back on the mats. I rolled with it today by taping it to my middle finger, which helped some, but now the swelling at the knuckle is worse for the exertion (who needs the Rest in R.I.C.E. anyway?). Oh, and did I mention it hurt like a mother-sonofa-frick-a-frack-rasum-frasum the whole time?!?? Two guys escaped chokes because I just couldn't put any more stress on it. *sigh* And it continues to hurt and now is a lovely shade of purple, despite the ice, ibuprofen, splinting, and elevation.

I'm not going to see a doctor because I know what he will do: splint it and tell me to keep it immobilized until it heals. I've been down that road. No point spending $350 for that advice. My athletic tape and popsicle stick make a good splint.

So that leads me to my dilemma: how long to take off? Anyone else rolling with a hyperextended finger or have a good thought about how long to take off? I see a lot of guys who tape their fingers up, so I wondered if they know something I don't. Taking off any time is killing me for something so small (anyone got a meat cleaver? Monday is just around the corner!!!). On the other hand, I don't want to end up worse in the long run. Should I take off until it hurts less? Then again, I don't mind rolling through some pain. Good, common sense advice/insight would be appreciated, as the jiu-jitsu on my brain won't let me think straight.

Dude, don't even mess yourself up. Go to a DOCTOR.

Take some time off to heal properly or risk permanent injury?

This isn't rocket science.

Two weeks or so should have it feeling a lot better, especially if you ice it for 20-30 minutes a day to help with swelling, as well as regular ibuprofen.

I dont personally take time off for a hyperextended career, then again BJJ is what I do for a living. Tape it to the finger next to it, if it was your thumb you could tape it to your hand (which I had to do during my last trip in Brazil).

It will change up the submissions you do, the escapes you use and even the sweeps that you prefer. I had a really hard time finishing any type of lapel choke for over two weeks last time I did it to my middle finger, but I'm not going to let it stop me from training.

i'm with gerbil, tape it and keep going. you'll have to adapt your game around not having full use of one hand. which will in turn improve your over all movement and make you use the other hand, if it's your dominate hand. i screw up fingers and knuckles so much that it just seems part of the game at this point.

Did the same thing a few weeks back. It happened on a Monday, taped it and finished the night. Iced it and tried using it instead of avoiding any pressure. By friday the swelling was gone but still had some pain. Taped it and it went well. Now i tape it every class like gerbil said.

If you are able to move it then just tape it up and go (if the pain is manageable).

When I first started I was talking to one of the BB and about grips. He showed me his hands. They were twisted and and bent out of shape but probably explained the insance grip this dude has.

Please tell me this is a joke thread compared to the elbows in the thigh thing. Finger injuries are common as all hell in bjj. Unless it pointing the wrong direction tape it and move on.

I would just tape it up like everyone is suggesting and only participate in the technique portion of class, dont make it worse...I know it might get depressing not being able to train but it's better to not prolong your injuries!

you can actually buy good finger splints at the pharmacy for less than $5. I would buy one and splint it while out of class and just tape it to the next finger while in class.

Back