Need advice for custom PC rig

facePuncher7

Founder of the militant wing of the Salvation Army
@Brown
Reaction score
I've had the idea for a while that I'd like to make my desktop PC as compact and portable as possible, including the monitors and other peripherals, but not sure where to start. Most search results point me to laptops or milspec stuff.

Really what I would love is for the tower and monitors (3) to be connectable in a portable form somehow, and small enough to not be too much of a hassle at airports - and from there be quick and easy to setup and start working with at a desk.

I work with large data sets (10's of terrabytes) and would like to be able to drag my harddrives and my PC with me everywhere without need to be constantly uploading, downloading and installing software everywhere.

Any tips?

bGvwk8P.jpg

sWCJvF7.jpg

very portable

I've had the idea for a while that I'd like to make my desktop PC as compact and portable as possible, including the monitors and other peripherals, but not sure where to start. Most search results point me to laptops or milspec stuff.

Really what I would love is for the tower and monitors (3) to be connectable in a portable form somehow, and small enough to not be too much of a hassle at airports - and from there be quick and easy to setup and start working with at a desk.

I work with large data sets (10's of terrabytes) and would like to be able to drag my harddrives and my PC with me everywhere without need to be constantly uploading, downloading and installing software everywhere.

Any tips?
big thread in the video game section on this kind of stuff, they can probably help u better as the berry is filled with nothing but very athletic jocks.

Any tips?

https://www.razerzone.com/project-valerie

Building a small form factor PC is a problem. The monitors, and making them portable is.

My advice would be to go with AMD cpu,they perform same as Intel's and are way cheaper.

I remember this video:

It's a compact gaming PC. It's pretty tiny. Even if you're not gonna use it for gaming, the motherboard and CPU should give you ideas of where to start looking.

Any tips?

laptop
noun lap·top
Definition of laptop
  1. : a portable microcomputer having its main components (such as processor, keyboard, and display screen) integrated into a single unit capable of battery-powered operation

Get a gaming laptop. There is not good way to drag a tower, monitor, keyb oard, mouse, cables, etc.. around easily.

just put wheels on your gaming rig. and maybe attach an engine and drivetrain. probably a steering wheel, too.

see? this is easy. solved.

Get a gaming laptop. There is not good way to drag a tower, monitor, keyb oard, mouse, cables, etc.. around easily.
Yeah, I agree with this, @Dreadlock666.

Fortunately for you, you're in luck. Time could not be more on your side than it already is. This year's Computex show was all about NVIDIA's new "Max Q" GPUs and the incredibly thin gaming laptops that sport them. Never before has such gaming power been available in such small products. The Zephyrus was the star of the show, and understandably so, when you pause to consider that it packs more gaming power than either of the new "advanced" console versions (Xbox One X or PS4 Pro) in a package weighing less than 5 lbs.

Don't forget that Microsoft offers an Xbox One Controller adapter for Windows 10 ($25) if you don't like the trackpad or mouse setups:
  • Acer Predator Triton 700
  • Asus ROG Zephyrus
  • Asus ROG Strix GL702ZC
  • Clevo P950HR
  • Gigabyte Aorus X9
  • Gigabyte Aorus X5 MD
  • MSI GT75VR Titan

Asus Republic Of Gamers Zephyrus GX501
upload_2017-6-18_4-44-38.jpeg
upload_2017-6-18_4-45-33.jpeg

asusrog.jpg

US_Zephyrus_details_Jen_Hsun_Jonney_Shih_800.jpg

Last edited:
Otherwise, you're after one of the new pre-built gaming mini PCs on the market. The preeminent model is the following:

Corsair One
upload_2017-6-18_4-49-32.jpeg

upload_2017-6-18_4-49-53.jpeg

3210617-corsairone_exploded-gpu_cooler_glamour.jpg

3210616-corsairone_exploded-build_glamour_top_down.jpg

corsairOne_exploded-RAM_glamour-pcgh.png

corsairOne_exploded-hero_bow_3-4_top.jpg

Other mini gaming PCs are the MSI Trident 3, Digital Storm Bolt X, Zotac Magnus EN1080K, Origin PC CHRONOS, Gigabytye BRIX Gaming GT 1080, and CyberPowerPC Syber Vapor Xtreme 2017. Alienware probably has an offering, but I don't know their catalog.

Of course, the Intel NUC Kits offer the rock bottom price, but they don't include a GPU, and while the onboard graphics are more than ample for all general uses, they also don't offer better than laptop class CPUs. These may be the most suitable purchase for you, however, as it isn't clear from your OP what precisely your workflow demands are. If you don't game or do video editing tasks, then you may only desire CPU power, and not want to waste money on GPU horsepower or excessive CPU horsepower.

Last edited:
If you go the route of building a custom PC, then you could opt to have an economy builder like iBuyPower or CyberPowerPC build you a custom mini ITX PC. If you're willing to spend quite a bit more, then you can choose from one of the many boutique builders online like Falcon Northwest or Puget Systems. If you do build yourself, then I would recommend one of the following two cases:

NCASE M1
upload_2017-6-18_5-39-25.jpeg

Corsair Graphite 380T
380T_Black_02.png

Other great portable mini ITX case options for self-builders (or sometimes available at websites with customizable builds like iBuyPower & CyberPowerPC). Silverstone is known in particular for specializing in the SFF niche, and make a large range of small cases specifically designed to house the largest and most powerful GPU video cards:
  • Azza Stealth
  • Bitfenix Phenom
  • Bitfenix Prodigy
  • Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced
  • Cooler Master Elite 130
  • Corsair Carbide Air 240
  • Corsair Obsidian 250D
  • EVGA Hadron Air
  • EVGA Hadron Hydro
  • Fractal Design Core 500
  • Fractal Design Nano S
  • Fractal Design Node 304
  • InWin D-Frame Mini
  • Lian Li PC-Q08
  • Lian Li PC-Q25
  • Lian Li PC-Q28
  • Lian Li PC-Q36
  • Lian Li PC-TU100
  • Lian Li PC-TU200
  • NZXT Manta
  • Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV
  • Silverstone Fortress FT03 Mini
  • Silverstone Fortress FTZ01
  • Silverstone Milo ML07
  • Silverstone Milo ML08-H
  • Silverstone Raven RVZ01
  • Silverstone Raven RVZ01-E
  • Silverstone Raven RVZ02
  • Silverstone Raven RVZ03
  • Silverstone Sugo SG05
  • Silverstone Sugo SG05-450
  • Silverstone Sugo SG05-Lite
  • Silverstone Sugo SG08
  • Silverstone Sugo SG13
  • Thermaltake Core V1
  • Thermaltake Core X1
  • Thermaltake Suppressor F1
Silverstone SFF Case Product Page

Attachments

• upload_2017-6-18_5-39-13.jpeg
    upload_2017-6-18_5-39-13.jpeg
    47.2 KB · Views: 1
  • upload_2017-6-18_5-40-28.jpeg
    upload_2017-6-18_5-40-28.jpeg
    102.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
@Madmick, thanks for all the info, I have a bunch of stuff to look at.

I do require some GPU grunt as my data in displayed in 3D space (point clouds). But I do a lot of course processing with that data too.

The reason I don't want a laptop is because I want all components of the rig to be separate. All laptops function with the screen connected to the keyboard.
I need to be able to move things around a lot. Hard to explain the necessity of that but it makes laptops kinda pointless for me.

Back