1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Need a mouth guard

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by cptsteve21, Sep 8, 2010.

1. cptsteve21

cptsteve21 Purple Belt

Okay, so I used to have one of these:

Amazon.com: Shock Doctor Gel Nano Mouthguard and Case: Sports & Outdoors

But after my first ammy fight I noticed it cut up my gums something awful, and in general was rubbing too harshly during training too. I still have it, but would like to get something different.

I want a GOOD mouthguard, first and foremost, and I'm a douchebag, so I'd like to get one with fangs (think Arlovski, Evans).

The ones I really want are the $30 Fight Dentist ones on MMAWarehouse, but 8 dollars shipping for a small mouthguard doesn't make me excited when I can get free 2 day shipping with Amazon (free Amazon Prime for anyone with a .edu email address, make use of it fellow students).

Fight Dentist Fangs Mouthguard - MMAWarehouse.com

Unfortunately, stupid-ass Amazon doesn't have the Fight Dentist ones.

They do however have these:

Amazon.com: TITLE Fang Polyshok Mouthguard: Sports & Outdoors

Anybody have experience with them? Good? Bad?

Also, there's these:

Amazon.com: Custom MMA Fangs Mouthguard: Sports & Outdoors

Which interest me because a custom fit is ALWAYS a good thing, it's actually not too expensive (I can justify 80/an extra 50 a lot more easily than 150/an extra 120), and the fangs look cooler than both Fight Dentist and the Title ones (least important factor, of course). Again, anybody have experience with these guys?

And I'm still kinda considering getting another Shock Doctor, thinking maybe I just fucked up my pair too bad.

So guys, out of these 3 which do you recommend? And I'm not so much of a douche to not consider anything else, so any other suggestions? I don't like double sided mouth guards, and wear mine frequently while not only training MMA related stuff but cardio as well because I use it to get used to breathing heavily with the mouth guard, and want something that will actually last. Amazon is preferred, but not necessary.

2. beeran1

beeran1 Purple Belt

Get a custom guard, no question.

customguards.com is probably the most affordable out there, but there are a lot of good companies to choose from.

3. Yeah...if you're fighting get a custom.
    General consensus: Gladiator is the best deal
    Python has better Graphics

4. Oh...the Gel nano shouldn't cut your gums.
    Does it have rough edges?
    They are the best boil and bites I have used

5. cptsteve21

cptsteve21 Purple Belt

I don't know exactly what happened, I guess maybe the gel stuff wore away? Not sure, it's pretty shitty.

I think I'm gonna buy the Title one and then go for a custom before my next fight (probably next summer, focusing on school)

edit: god damn it, the Title one isn't available w/ Amazon Prime, so no free 2 day shipping. In that case I might as well decide between a bnb Fight Dentist and custom.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  6. hamilton

hamilton Orange Belt

dont waste your money on a boil n bite. its good, but not great.

get one from gladiator or python. i'm in the process of getting my new python, and when it arrives a review will be posted. thus far i've heard nothing but good things, and scott (the owner) has been amazing in terms of communication.

7. cptsteve21

cptsteve21 Purple Belt

Alright, thanks guys. Once I have more money rolling I'm gonna go with a Python, they look cool and can't go wrong w/ custom, it seems. For now, I got another Nano Gel that should arrive Friday, so I don't lose my tongue when people guillotine me (almost happened once before I started training heavily, then recently came far too close to happening for me to go w/o a mouthguard.

Thanks fellas.