Neck Strengthening For Athletes - Nick Curson

GordoBarraBJJ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Just thought I'd share this - He touched on this in his video ATPv1 but this one is more in depth.

I have the Iron Neck but this is a good (and safe) alternative if you cannot afford the Iron Neck

Nick is a disciple of Marv and Gary Marinovich.

YouTube has a lot of neck strength training videos made by doctors of physical therapy

Just thought I'd share this - He touched on this in his video ATPv1 but this one is more in depth.

I have the Iron Neck but this is a good (and safe) alternative if you cannot afford the Iron Neck

Nick is a disciple of Marv and Gary Marinovich.

Thank you for saving me the 5 minutes

Wasn't there a huge thread calling this dude a hack awhile back? Something about tippy toe leg presses producing the most force or something?

Wasn't there a huge thread calling this dude a hack awhile back? Something about tippy toe leg presses producing the most force or something?

I just watched the video and it seems pretty hack-level.

It's not horrible I guess but why wouldn't you load your head with plates on top of a towel instead of having another person hold you for resistance, which isn't really consistent and doesn't provide progressive overload to be easily done.

Also I'm pretty sure doing full neck circles, which he recommends here (and is just weird to do while on the bench), is bad for your neck. I'm not 100% sure on that but I think I've heard that. Just seems odd not to load the neck with a plate on the forehead, side of the head, or with a neck harness or some other device.

From my understanding he has no scientific background but he's a BJJ blackbelt and he know's a lot about striking as well.

I think his full lineage goes from Dr Michael Yessis who was an actual scientist who taught Marv Marinovich who taught Curson.

I think usually the mechanism he describes for why exercises are effective are usually off but the method's he generally describes are useful.

I think he might have added in a few exercises that are pretty much quackery.

To be fair it's not as if people coming from a hard science background are usually massively effective in training athlete's either.

It's hard to make an evidence based argument for the optimal method's for training combat sports athlete's when there's so little research into the field.

I think his full lineage goes from Dr Michael Yessis who was an actual scientist who taught Marv Marinovich who taught Curson..
He also mentioned something to this effect on the podcast - it's not like he just some gym bro making guys do high speed leg extensions.

And Yessis worked with Yuri Verkhoshansky (as well as other Soviet sports scientists).

He's doing something right - none of his athletes are injured all the time and conditioning is never a question with Nick's methods.

Back