Neck strength

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by zx, Aug 2, 2010.

1. zx

zx adventurer

I'm planing to start doing some exercises for my neck. I see that neck bridges are good. Is proper form shown in this vid, or somebody knows better one?

Looking for advices. Thanks

2. zx

zx adventurer

Can anybody in this forum ofer me some help when needed?

3. Scotch

Scotch White Belt

I've honestly never had to isolate my neck. I've found that most torso exercises work the neck enough, especially those that isolate the upper back, i.e. shrugs and deadlifts

4. Cratos

Cratos Banned Banned

Buy a neck harness.

/thread

5. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

This article talks about neck work, done along with other exercises for the yoke. For www

6. MASShole

MASShole Get it?

I want a size 19 neck. I've been doing shrugs like every day.

Easiest for me is to take a jump stretch band, put both feet on it, and grab the ends, then do reps of 8-20.

7. Standard

Standard Too dumb to learn, too stubborn to quit

A gym i used to go to had a hammer strength neck machine, that thing was the tits.

8. Bennayboi

Bennayboi Yellow Belt

I use a neck harness. Cause the stronger your neck is the harder you are to knock out and the less likely you are to injure your neck. I havent researched bridges, but id assume theyre using good technique in that video. But of course if it hurts when you do it stop and find a method that doesnt. Heres an article for a DIY neck harness.

RossTraining.com Blog : DIY Neck Harness

9. ShadowNINku

ShadowNINku SANDBAGGER BELT

I don't like neck harnesses, I prefer a weight on my head while my head hangs off the side of a bench. I feel it's much better. Put a towel between your face/head/temple and the weight. You can do all 4 sides depending on how you lay on the bench.

I used to do neck exercises on a 4 way neck machine. I have a pretty big neck now, can't button up the last button on a shirt, even those that are a size or two larger.

10. ShadowNINku

ShadowNINku SANDBAGGER BELT

better than a harness as well^^

The weight on a harness is hanging at the bottom and you do more of a neck rotation than neck flexion and extension.....I don't like that

11. PCP

PCP Guest

My neck is like 19.5" without doing any neck exercises. I think a lot of heavy lifting in general does the trick, especially back work and pulling exercises. Although Mike Ruggiera did a lot of neck exercises and he has a tremendous neck, so go figure

failing that just inject your neck with a bunch of synthol until it looks like a giant tumor

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2010
  12. Revok

Revok Brown Belt

I avoid direct neck work too. IMO it's really not worth grinding down your cervical discs when a lot of shrugs and other compounds will more safely serve to make you a thumb-head.

13. h7jb7sg1e

h7jb7sg1e Blue Belt

First off, kudos for training your neck.

I use a neck harness on and off aiming for 8-12 reps of 3 sets [for front and back only]. You could also try singles, meaning you attach and weight and lift it off the ground keeping your neck in neutral (isometric).

Also you can do isometric presses to the front, back and sides of your neck using your palms.

Something I saw in a SEAL training video were neck ups. From what I recall you are in a sit-up position and you lift your neck only. They did ~50 reps in their circuit training routine.

In addition to strength, flexibility is important to have a healthy neck, you can try yoga plows and neck circles (joint rotations) before and or after training you neck.

As others have said training your traps with shrugs or even deadlifts will strengthen larger muscles which support your neck.

14. MASShole

MASShole Get it?

19.5"? Get outta here.

15. PCP

PCP Guest

it is what it is

16. Cratos

Cratos Banned Banned

Is it?

17. zx

zx adventurer

Metric system FTW!

Yup, I do neck circles, left-right, front-back and that for a year now. I also aply preasure from both sides, from back , and under chin while standing. That's some stretching. I am ready for real staff. Don't know what it is though.
    Some wrestlers could join the thread discussion?

18. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

look up any videos by jim kelle\y. He was a wrestler that had a nasty neck injury and now works under lloyd irvin. All his videos are about strengthening and conditioning the neck

19. facedancer

facedancer Warning: ***hole

The one you can sit forward or sideways on? That machine is the shit. single-handedly solved all my neck problems in just weeks. I've only found one gym that has one.

20. PCP

PCP Guest

yup