Neck strength for taking punches

symphonyx547**

Purple Belt
Reaction score
How big a factor is it for your ability to take a punch. Seems as though for the most part strong wrestlers can take a good punch. Do any of you have experience with sparing before and after training to make your neck stronger?

good becasue i have the weakest neck there is, so there's only room for improvement. So is doing wrestling bridging enough?

Well compounds are good obviously if your not already lifting.

There are tons of neck lifts be creative bite a backpack with some weight in it and go to work use your hands and work it to each side with resistance, my gym's got a harness that goes on your head and you attach weight to it and work.

I did a 2 hour clinch class last night and my neck is fucked so work your clinch lol.... serioulsy though just be creative with neck it's easy to work.

You can can that shit Cornblau as they say.

Good defensive technique will blow all the neck strenghtening exercises all to hell.

My neck and traps were killing after sparring on the ground and getting guilllotine choked constantly.

Remo, what are the defensive techniques you mention?

I think he's just talking about soild boxing skills so you know how to defendy agaist punches

you can use one of these:

its a neck developer.

fw-db-88.jpg

Wouldn't it be better to do it like the thais do it? They use a plastic tube in the mouth, but do the same movement as with that neck developer. But I think it would work better because you also have to use your jaw muscles because the tube is between your teeth?

Bridge, neck harness, partner clinch drills etc all work the neck quite well. Also, bite your goddamned mouthgaurd! its there for a reason. Clamp down on it and immobilize your jaw for the incoming strikes. Train with it in, even if you aren't sparring. Sprints? Where it. Staris? Wear it. etc.

The best exercises I can think of are quite simple. Lay on your back, hands on your chest. Then simply make the "Yes" and "No" motions with your head, making sure to keep it off the ground. Do 20 of each and your neck/jaw will be on fire.

Im so sick of hearing this shit. If your worried you cant take a shot just get a new hobby cause you got a glass jaw.

The best exercises I can think of are quite simple. Lay on your back, hands on your chest. Then simply make the "Yes" and "No" motions with your head, making sure to keep it off the ground. Do 20 of each and your neck/jaw will be on fire.

Decent burn, 3 sets of 20 good? left right is 1, up down is 1. I do 20 each up down and 20 left right.

you can use one of these:

its a neck developer.

fw-db-88.jpg

I got one of these about 2 days ago. Before i was just doing neck bridges but the proper harness makes a world of a difference!

Ive been building my neck for months, it really does help help prevent getting rocked/ko'd.

Back