Neck Hurts

beastman

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
In class yesterday, and my partner we and I were going over our standing guillotine. On one, he must have gotten a little too tight or used the forearm too much, because the left side/front of my trachea kinda hurts today. A little hard to swallow. I can find the spot with my thumb that is a little tender.

Thinking about icing it down after work, will that do anything? Anything else I should try? THANKS!

I hear you on this one. I must be susceptible or something, because it seems like any shitty guillotine, gogoplata, or loop choke causes my throat to get really sore (I'm a hick with a big adam's apple). I have the same problem: soreness like a sore throat (but also sore when I press on it) and a lump when I swallow. Sometimes I will start to lose my voice a little (it gets raspy). Your partner probably just bruised the muscles in your throat. In that regard, ice will help. It always helps me. Sometimes I'm sitting here posting with a reusable ice pack held to my neck! Ice it for about 2 to 3 days, then switch to heat. Take ibuprofen for the pain/swelling. The last time this happened (a particularly tight loop choke), my throat was sore for two solid weeks! It kinda sucked for something so minor.

If the pain/trouble swallowing gets any worse, go see a doctor immediately! Otherwise, the worst of it should start to alleviate over a few days.

I iced the spot on the left part of my neck Friday and Saturday, today feel 100%. I think he just got me wrong.

Yeah man happens to all of us, you gotta get your neck strength up, obviously if it still hurts ask people not to gilliotinu you or neckcrank. Once it is back to 100% it is all good, it will get stronger after sometime.

I've had the same thing for about 5 months now. I thought I had a throat infection so I went to the Dr. and he said it wasn't. He said it was sore muscles and try not to get choked or it'll keep getting worse. It hurt like ass when I swallowed. It was really bad, but I guess he was right, it's been 5 months now and when I swallow, it doesn't hurt anymore..... It'll take time to heal... Just don't let anyone choke you...

yeah that kinda stuff will happen with those. Ice and ibuprofen are your friend. When you're back to 100% anyways, you may also want to consider strengthening your neck with some workouts. Just get one of those weighted head wraps and go up and down with your head while you are on all fours, and flat on your back. Also look left to right to your fullest motion, until your neck wants to just fall off. If nothing else you should develop a pretty strong neck anyways just practicing BJJ.

I've had the sore to swallow thing a few times, totally sucks.

Back