Neck Cranks....

you will get use to it in couple more week and intense rolling
it just happens all the time, tap if u feel the pain

You can always tap (sounds like you did). I have this dude who would try all kinds of weird stuff, he has not been showing up as of late because people tend to go pretty hard with him. He would like push his fist into your throat and start turning it, crank, and was pretty popular for slamming people when they had him in guard. Higher belts would tune him up pretty good and explain those moves are "dick moves" and some flat out illegal.

My chin was back past my shoulder. Thats a crossface? :rolleyes:

Yea pretty much. I'd guess he just took his forearm and drug it across and that's just a darn effective thing to do. If you've got a great defense from your back then there really is only so much to do.

Start doing jackknifes and bridges. And neck exercises generally.

A cross face is turning your head left or right with the blade of your forearm, usually running against your cheekbone. A chin-hook works similarly but you cup their chin and turn. In and of itself it's not a dick move, but if you're rolling and he does it without care then it's a dick move.

A neck crank is when you turn the head and then try and fold it to their chest or back. If done with care it's not a dick move. Dick moves are all about intent. An armbar can be a dick move if you decide to hip up fast and hard with the intent to break in a training or even sporting environment. It defeats the purpose of a submission where the opponent has a chance to concede defeat.

Dick moves are only acceptable if you're being attacked in the street or in war, and that's assuming neither of you have a gun or something else to defend yourself with.

neck cranks are cool to know but i made the mistake of giving a friend at my gym a dvd of pualson neckbreakers and I wish I never did. he abuses the neck cranks all the time.

My chin was back past my shoulder. Thats a crossface? :rolleyes:

Cry me a river. Yes.

Neck cranks as a submission are illegal in gi bjj competition. No gi grappling, it depends on the competition.

In training, it depends on your gym rules.

A cross face is turning your head left or right with the blade of your forearm, usually running against your cheekbone. A chin-hook works similarly but you cup their chin and turn. In and of itself it's not a dick move, but if you're rolling and he does it without care then it's a dick move.

A neck crank is when you turn the head and then try and fold it to their chest or back. If done with care it's not a dick move. Dick moves are all about intent. An armbar can be a dick move if you decide to hip up fast and hard with the intent to break in a training or even sporting environment. It defeats the purpose of a submission where the opponent has a chance to concede defeat.

Dick moves are only acceptable if you're being attacked in the street or in war, and that's assuming neither of you have a gun or something else to defend yourself with.

This is a pretty good explanation.

[Tycho?];43164297 said:
I don't mind neck cranks myself. I don't use them, because its normally considered rude. But I don't mind when guys use them on me, especially wrestlers or MMA guys. If it hurts too much I'll tap, and it will teach me to defend it better next time. I don't like avoiding moves just because they're not allowed in tournaments.

This is my approach as well. Although I'll occasionally bust out a controlled crucifix when rolling no gi.

Thanks...This has probably been the most helpful, as you did mention intent, seeing as the move was already full on before I had a chance to tap. Nonetheless, your definitions are helpful as they seem to explain what is and what isn't a crank.
Definitely appreciate everyones help and advice.

Back