Neck cranks in sparring?

man i had a big guy once grab my chin and twist my neck when he couldn't finish me with a guillotine.. I am sure he didn't mean to hurt me and it wasn't "in" so i didnt tap but my neck was jacked for about a week. Neck cranks are different than other attacks because unlike say a kimura, armbar, or a toe hold you really don't feel pain untill something is really jacked up.

phenomfan1529 said:
whats a bas rutten neck crank?
it's on th dvds of combat, from scarf hold you grab your own knee with the arm around their neck. The other arm goes around their knee and then grabs your other knee, by pulling your knees together with you leg muscles you can easily tap someone a lot bigger and stronger than you. The last time I used it was for a powerlifter who had started training with us and I was having trouble armbarring him because he was so much stronger than me he just pulled his arm free, this crank did'nt even require effort to finish him.

sha said:
I agree with you that beginners or white belts shouldn't use them.
But I don't agree with this. Neck cranks are valid submissions (and they are as technical as any other submission), and you don't need to hurt your partner, once a neck crank is locked in usually there is no way he can escape, so you could even release him without cranking at all. Same with heelhooks, I'm not saying I'm not saying it's the first technique white belts should learn, but if you and your partner are both experienced and know about the dangers of a move, I don't see why you shouldn't use it.
When I mean neckcranks, I'm talking about the shit ones where you wrap your arm around the persons neck and just squeeze as hard as you can. I've seen some cool valid neckcranks, but the ones that some new guys try to apply are fucking annoying and stupi.d

Back