Neck cranks in sparring?

Umm.. since I'm a white belt, I have much more things to learn rather than gay neckcranks which can leave someone paralyzed. Neckcranks are too dagnerous and some can be done by anyone.

look, if a neck crank leaves you paralyzed, the problem is either with you (you didn't tap) or with the guy you're rolling with (he is crazy and should be put in jail). Not with the technique itself !

Remember, neck cranks don't paralyze people, people paralyze people !

phenomfan1529 said:
which ones? i dont know very many
a dedently applied crucifix (actually I don't think this is the same as what the bjj guys call the crucifix, this is a double underhook from a guillotine type position) takes absolutely no effort, nor does a clock head scissor, the bas rutten neck crank, a z lock, dragon head lock, a twisting guillotine (would never use this in sparring or comp. one of few moves I'm genuinely scared of and won't teach to anyone who is'nt damn experienced and has a good attitude), a cross face or an exorcist.

I occaionally use can openers but only as a tool to get people to open their gaurds, which they always do. I don't think I've ever had somebody tap from them. As soon as they open up, I go for the pass.

sha said:
look, if a neck crank leaves you paralyzed, the problem is either with you (you didn't tap) or with the guy you're rolling with (he is crazy and should be put in jail). Not with the technique itself !

Remember, neck cranks don't paralyze people, people paralyze people !
Riiiight. And heelhooks too right? :rolleyes:

Soid said:
Umm.. since I'm a white belt, I have much more things to learn rather than gay neckcranks which can leave someone paralyzed. Neckcranks are too dagnerous and some can be done by anyone.

The only reason that you would get paralyzed by a neck crank is if you were too dumb and stubborn to tap out when it was put on you. Its the same thing as if you refused to tap when somebody armbarred you or choked you. You've probably heard the phrases "tap or snap" or "tap or nap", same thing applies hear. If your such a tough guy that you won't tap, then you will end up injured, and you probably shouldn't have been training in submission grapppling to begin with.

Soid said:
Riiiight. And heelhooks too right? :rolleyes:

Heelhooks are different because they can cause immediate damage. The reason why white belts aren't allowed to do them is because they don't realize the small amount of force it takes to do serious damage with a leg lock. The ankle and wrist joinst are very easily damaged, and aren't nearly as strong as your neck.

100affirmed said:
Heelhooks are different because they can cause immediate damage. The reason why white belts aren't allowed to do them is because they don't realize the small amount of force it takes to do serious damage with a leg lock. The ankle and wrist joinst are very easily damaged, and aren't nearly as strong as your neck.
So you're saying cranking a neck crank won't cause immediate damage as a heelhook? You've got to be kidding right? White belts shouldn't be doing neckcranks period. If the blackbelts in my school tell me that they've seen people get paralyzed ebcause someone felt like cranking the neck, I'd take their advice way more serious as opposed to someone who thinks hurting the neck in anyway cannot cause immediate damage..

Nine out of ten guys who can't sub anyone any other way resort to grabbing the neck whichever way and just squeezing.

Neck cranks are stupid in practice, you'll never get better if you just try to squeeze the shit out of a neck whenever you get the chance. In competition though anything goes.

Soid said:
So you're saying cranking a neck crank won't cause immediate damage as a heelhook? You've got to be kidding right? White belts shouldn't be doing neckcranks period. If the blackbelts in my school tell me that they've seen people get paralyzed ebcause someone felt like cranking the neck, I'd take their advice way more serious as opposed to someone who thinks hurting the neck in anyway cannot cause immediate damage..

The BB

SmashiusClay said:
a dedently applied crucifix (actually I don't think this is the same as what the bjj guys call the crucifix, this is a double underhook from a guillotine type position) takes absolutely no effort, nor does a clock head scissor, the bas rutten neck crank, a z lock, dragon head lock, a twisting guillotine (would never use this in sparring or comp. one of few moves I'm genuinely scared of and won't teach to anyone who is'nt damn experienced and has a good attitude), a cross face or an exorcist.
whats a bas rutten neck crank?

Neck cranks are fine for competition, but bad form to use when rolling. You can leave your partners hurting for a while by using them. If you insist on training them, a catch and release style is preferred.

Te(V)plar said:
Neck cranks are fine for competition, but bad form to use when rolling. You can leave your partners hurting for a while by using them. If you insist on training them, a catch and release style is preferred.
oh ok, thanks

i was just wondering because i think its an effective sub for a MMA fight

Soid said:

Chances are, if somebody got paralyzed by a neck crank, they either didn't tap or somebody just grabbed for the neck and viciously cranked away at it. There is a large range in what you can consider neck cranks. You aren't going to paralyze somebody with a can opener but that what you are refering to probably would damage somebody quickly. What I was refering to are neck cranks that are actually grappling techniques. You could compare the difference to putting somebody in a triangle choke, and just taking your finger and sqeezing somebody's throat. They are both chokes right? Except one is a grappling move and one is a brutal attack.

And, as far as neck cranks causing immediate damage, well I hate to be the one to break it to you but, any submission hold with the right amount of force can cause damage. Does that mean we should bar all white belts from using grappling techniques? No, it means anybody doing any technique in training should use caution and becareful of injuring their partner.

i only use em when somone goes for leg locks and i need something to grab so i dont fall.

I dont like people cranking on me.. and i dont do it to others.

100affirmed said:
Chances are, if somebody got paralyzed by a neck crank, they either didn't tap or somebody just grabbed for the neck and viciously cranked away at it. There is a large range in what you can consider neck cranks. You aren't going to paralyze somebody with a can opener but that what you are refering to probably would damage somebody quickly. What I was refering to are neck cranks that are actually grappling techniques. You could compare the difference to putting somebody in a triangle choke, and just taking your finger and sqeezing somebody's throat. They are both chokes right? Except one is a grappling move and one is a brutal attack.

And, as far as neck cranks causing immediate damage, well I hate to be the one to break it to you but, any submission hold with the right amount of force can cause damage. Does that mean we should bar all white belts from using grappling techniques? No, it means anybody doing any technique in training should use caution and becareful of injuring their partner.
Chances are if someone got hurt from a heelhook, they either didn't tap or somebody just grabbed for the heel and viciously cranked away at it. Right? Not exactly. Neck cranks doesn't help anyone at all in practice. Sure some chokes turn into neckcranks but atleast youre trying to improve technique. I can apply a neckcrank on most blue belts and white belts, does that mean they will think I'm very technical and better? Absolutely not. Point is that neckcranks doesn't help you or your training partner improve. Anything that adds pressure to the neck could cause more damage than a sore neck. If you're willing to take the risk, then go ahead. Plus the injury you might recieve from a neckcrank is far greater then you would from an armbar.

Neck cranks are messed up because even if they don't get it and tap you your neck will be jacked for days aftewards.. I'ts just not worth it.

Soid said:
I can apply a neckcrank on most blue belts and white belts, does that mean they will think I'm very technical and better? Absolutely not. Point is that neckcranks doesn't help you or your training partner improve.

I agree with you that beginners or white belts shouldn't use them.
But I don't agree with this. Neck cranks are valid submissions (and they are as technical as any other submission), and you don't need to hurt your partner, once a neck crank is locked in usually there is no way he can escape, so you could even release him without cranking at all. Same with heelhooks, I'm not saying I'm not saying it's the first technique white belts should learn, but if you and your partner are both experienced and know about the dangers of a move, I don't see why you shouldn't use it.

Back