1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Neck bridges, Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by RR010V, Jan 13, 2020.

1. RR010V Orange Belt

I've heard alot about people saying that they're bad for your neck and can cause serious damage in the long run. I've been doing neck bridges for about 3 years with no issues. (atleast so far)

I also supplement this with other neck exercises. Some wrestlers at my gym recommend doing them. Also alot of boxers (e.g. Mike Tyson) use neck bridges to strengthen the neck.

After watching some videos on youtube and reading about it online I'm not sure if I should continue doing neck bridges or if other exercises are more efficient and/or safe.

What do you guys think? And are there any guys out here who actually got some kind of chronic pain and injury because of them?

2. MilkManUK Brown Belt

I do them, never had a problem.

3. wufabufa Silver Belt

Neck bridges can be pretty intense when you first start doing them so isometrics, manual resistance, or a neck harness might be a good idea before you jump right into them, especially if you're a heavier guy. I've done them in the past when I was training BJJ and I felt they helped quite a bit. Never had any injury or pain from them but everyone is different.

Some say squatting wrecks your knees or that deadlifting will destroy your back. Some of those same people also spent years doing those exercises with shit form or too much frequency/intensity. Gotta be smart about your training and listen to your body.

4. ShadowNINku SANDBAGGER BELT

Do isometrics first if anything.
    The neck muscles are "meant" to be stabilizers not movers of heavy loads.

5. ImmigrantMentality Banned Banned

For me I've noticed that just clinching is the best exercise I can get for my neck and its pain free. Whenever I do any other type of neck exercises whether its bridges or neck extensions, my neck is not as tired and I actually have to be careful because sometimes my spine will hurt in different areas as well

6. vladimirvlad MMA is my life

Neck bridges are a very intense drill, and I believe you need at least some training before you start doing this drill intensively. And yeah, it can lead to chronic pain, but doesn't have to. Overall, it is a great drill for strengthening.

7. monkeyrhythm Green Belt

Erm, that's what he said...?

8. Cole train Gold Belt

Yay especially with weights

I used to do neck bridges with 20kg weight on me during my ammy mma days

I was extremely hard to choke out or ko and i attribute it to neck training

9. RR010V Orange Belt

you kept a 20kg plate on your chest?

10. Cole train Gold Belt

Yup

11. RR010V Orange Belt

I'll give that a try, I've only tried increasing the reps and sets

12. Cole train Gold Belt

Take it easy though,neck is fragile

13. CamMan14 White Belt

I wouldnt recommend them to somebody who isn't strong enough to safely cope with the exercise. But if you are able to safely do 3 or 4 sets of 12 neck bridges then you will be fine. If you can only do 3 or 4 reps before failing then it is probably better to pick a more basic neck exercise.

14. JimmyFresno Banned Banned

I like to put my neck bridges sandwiched in between sets of sit ups, near the end of my workout, to balance the pressure put on my neck, as well as the added neck conditioning from the sit ups.

Also, look into neck/spine stretches. Take it easy, but stay consistent. I, personally, stretch during every workout. Look into yoga. Shoulder Stand, Plow, and Fish Pose complement each other naturally, as well as stretching the spine, gently. Find an experienced teacher, who gives detailed instructions.

Been doing it this way for many, many years, and have a strong neck and back from bridging.

15. RR010V Orange Belt

I've been doing 4 sets of 20 reps, I'll try a 5kg plate and see from there.