Necessity of shooting singles /doubles

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by KBE6EKCTAH_CCP, Jul 25, 2010.

1. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP

KBE6EKCTAH_CCP Arrow sash belt with papakhka

Do you think you can be a "complete" grappler and not practice shooting single / doubles ?

The reason I ask is because after 3 years of grappling (started with BJJ, than Wrestling and Judo), I am starting to notice my preferences in types of techniques.

It could be because of my body type or many other reasons, but I am finding that I am much more comfortable with foot sweeps, hip throws and clinching than with single legs and double legs.

Singles / doubles are an extremely important part of grappling, I am afraid they are just not my thing.

What are your thoughts on this ?

Do you think it's fine to focus on my natural preferences or am I way too much of a noob to even know where my preferences are ?

Txs 4 reading.

2. DeathMetalHead

DeathMetalHead White Belt

As long as you can defend singles and doubles and you are successful with other take downs then you don't need to use them.

However I think you will have a tough time in wrestling without going for shots at all, unless your name is Adam Satiev.

If you practise them more, they will become more your thing. Just because something is hard doesn't mean you shouldn't persevere and learn how to do them.

3. _Glorfindel_

_Glorfindel_ MMA Coach

As long as you dont butt flop... ;-)

4. Dono**

Dono** Banned Banned

Plenty of guys are successful without being very good wrestlers, but they have other attributes that make up for it.

I always think it's best to have the option.

5. lethalazn

lethalazn Purple Belt

preferably behind you, with both hooks sunk in
    You still need to be able to DEFEND and COUNTER singles/doubles and UNDERSTAND the mechanics of it (if you can't even drill it properly, there's just something wrong...)

On the other hand you NEED to have SOME kind of reliable attack when you're standing, even if you're doing BJJ (guard pulling and butt scooting don't count.) It doesn't even have to be a takedown, it could be a flying guillotine, armdrag/duck under to back or faking a takedown into a back take/leglock

6. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP

Dono,

To me this has nothing to do with wrestling or not wrestling. Foot sweeps, trips, hip throws and clinching are as much wrestling as singles and doubles.

**** fearing to myself that this is gonna turn into another style vs style fest*****

@ DeathMetalHead : It goes without saying that I will keep on practicing defending single / doubles. An absolute must.

7. DeathMetalHead

DeathMetalHead White Belt

I think for Jiu jitsu you can get away without shooting for singles or doubles but if you continue wrestling you will need to develop your attacks beyond foot sweeps, trips and tosses.

8. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

My instructor is a first degree black belt and an MMA fighter, and never uses singles or doubles. He has excellent greco and judo, and most of his takedowns come out of the clinch, although I've seen him use doubles and singles to great effect just to show that he can.

Oh, he can defend the alright. I used to wrestle and I almost exclusively shoot singles or doubles, but I can' get him down for my life. So I would say that as long as you KNOW them (not necessarily use them), and can DEFEND them, then you don't need to use them.

There are tons of techniques on the feet and the floor that I know but don't often use, either because of body type differences between me and my opponent, or because I just don't like them. But you have to know them so that you can capitalize if the opportunity presents himself.

9. knoxpk

knoxpk Black Belt

I dont prefer leg attacks but I can threaten with them if needed.

10. BatBoyJG

BatBoyJG Brown Belt

Clinch work ans throws are fine as you're main attack from standing, but you need to know how to wrestle from you're back, & that mainly consists of doubles and singles.

11. elbigsam

elbigsam Blue Belt

well, i think that you are going to need to be able to shoot. in addition, the single leg finish will be applied in lots of areas as you finish halfguard sweeps and in scrambles. why dont you like these takedowns?

12. PWR1982

PWR1982 Green Belt

Well you know shooting for a single specifically is not needed, but when you use a setup and end he exposes himself by being too upright or just having too much momentum going up, what do you want to do? It's not like you have to drop to your knee and go for a leg, you can penetrate and "shoot" for a bearhug, or you can "shoot" for a knee pick like gsp often does. It's just not as effective, but if for some reason you feel really uncomfortable doing single/double... then don't.

13. debussy

debussy White Belt

Care to explain what that means?

14. Rod1

Rod1 Titanium Belt

I don't like them, specially singles, but i can shoot doubles, the problem is that i have an upright posture so its a long way to shooting.

Anyway, if its gi grappling i simply use judo and laugh at those trying to shoot when i have a dominant grip, if its no gi i try to get double over and suplex or go for a te guruma.

15. BatBoyJG

BatBoyJG Brown Belt

Basically being able to sweep off you're back with a double or single leg, its often overlooked when guys are playing certain guards, & the guy on top is not giving him, grips/hooks etc

16. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP

It's not that I don't like them, but they just feel awkward and unnatural, I don't enjoy them. Maybe it's because I am stiff and rather stocky. On the other hand, I was told that I have a very strong clinch. Maybe my body type makes me adapted to the clinch. All in all it's just a feeling.

Also:

- I generally dislike being on the bottom
    - I hate being sprawled
    - I don't like the higher risk of back and knee injuries when a heavy guy falls on me
    - I am scared of being kneed in the face (I like to do some MMA, and I don't think shooting is the safest option).
    - I naturally fight upright

17. td82394

td82394 Brown Belt

I don't ever do it cuz I get sprawled or occassionally guillotined. I like trips and throws ans stuff underhooks or over-under. I can defend shots, though. I suck at collar tie, though.

18. ijustwannasurf

ijustwannasurf Brown Belt

TS- I'm in the same situation, and have come to the same conclusion.
    In order to add leg attacks to my takedown game, I've started working on ankle picks. Maybe that could work for you, as well.

EDIT- Knee picks have been working for me as well. Underhook uchimata to knee pick for the win!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  19. beeble

beeble Green Belt

its your style of wrestling, i personally never use singles to finish, I always clinch/throw and use double legs.

20. elbigsam

elbigsam Blue Belt

Based on your reply to me I believe that with time you will grow more comfortable using them if you take the time to practice them. You don't have to, but your takedown game will suffer. I didn't used to like them either, I'm 6'4" so its a big level change. However with time and practice I have found them very valuable.