Social Nearly half of Canadians Buy into COVID-19 Conspiracy Theories

Orgasmo

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Hmm I thought we were a bit more intelligent and informed than Muricans, but apparently not. Must be the Prairies and Atlantics dragging down our IQ.
Nearly half of Canadians subscribe to coronavirus conspiracy theories -- including debunked miracle cures, notions of a 5G cover-up or that the virus was engineered in a Chinese lab, according to a new study.

The School of Journalism at Carleton University in Ottawa surveyed 2,000 Canadians and found that 46 percent believe in at least one of four key myths circulating online.
The top fake, according to the study -- that the coronavirus was engineered as a bioweapon in a Chinese lab and released into the general population -- was believed by 26 percent of Canadians.
Twenty-three percent also said they believe unproven claims promoted by US President Donald Trump that medications such as hydroxychloroquine -- an anti-malaria drug which has been linked to heart complications -- are effective in treating the illness.
Another 11 percent of respondents said they thought COVID-19 is not a serious illness but was being spread to cover up alleged harmful health effects associated with exposure to 5G wireless technology.
And 17 percent thought that rinsing their nose with a saline solution would provide protection from infection.
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/cana...cy-theories-study/ar-BB14qAGS?ocid=spartanntp

These outlets sure do a good job promoting these conspiracy theories. Must be all those strawman antivaxxers theyre surveying.

can you really blame them?

there has been so much misinformation, contradictory information, experts who have been completely wrong, then doing 180s on previous positions...not to mention WHO being in China's pocket...

and yea...the death tolls haven't been as monumental as they originally forecasted.

now is this due to the shut downs? maybe...maybe so.

but when our world leaders don't seem to know shit, or spout off half truths, or misinformation don't be surprised if the populace starts to ask questions.

I have a conspiracy theory, that polls like this are complete and utter bullshit.

conspiracy theories fill the vacuum of "real news."

this has been extremely politicized and people know it. improve the real news and the conspiracies will go away.

you people live in ice and elected Trudeau and you think you're smarter than Americans? LOLOL

Hmm I thought we were a bit more intelligent and informed than Muricans, but apparently not. Must be the Prairies and Atlantics dragging down our IQ.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/cana...cy-theories-study/ar-BB14qAGS?ocid=spartanntp

These morons out there burning down things they think are 5G towers.

Right Wing / White Nationalist / etc groups keep pushing these conspiracy theories.

Yellow Vests, Canadian Combat Coalition, Sons of Odin, all the usual wannabe bikers.

Theose Facebook groups should be nuked from orbit.

you people live in ice and elected Trudeau and you think you're smarter than Americans? LOLOL
The opposite would have been Harper or Schneer. Slim pickings but I went with the half a bucket of shit instead of full bucket.

If there was a lot less misinformation coming from "experts" and the press, CT's like these wouldn't flourish so easily(even though a couple of them aren't even CT's, but questioning inconclusive information, like the Chinese Lab stuff that has been officially looked into).

Oh', not to mention that a good portion of the population is vegging out on the internet all day long, thanks to the lock downs. You can expect more and more people to start "asking questions", the longer the government keeps them indoors.

they use the term theory loosely.......

I mean....saying this came from a person eating a bat is far more of a theory than saying it was manufactured .........

These morons out there burning down things they think are 5G towers.

Right Wing / White Nationalist / etc groups keep pushing these conspiracy theories.

Yellow Vests, Canadian Combat Coalition, Sons of Odin, all the usual wannabe bikers.

Theose Facebook groups should be nuked from orbit.
Theose???

On a serious note, be careful wishing far right groups get axed, because the far left ones will meet the same fate.

Theose???

On a serious note, be careful wishing far right groups get axed, because the far left ones will meet the same fate.
True, if government decides political thoughts and expression should be policed, it's a danger to a free and democratic society.

I see 1 CT listed that is not a CT

Nah it is those progressive scumbags on the west coast. Every single one of those hippie assholes is as dumb as a moose's scrotum.

Back