Social [Pay to Play in the NCAA] College Athletes Advocating For Revenue Sharing

cuz that’s the point of college? A free ride that is given to someone for sports should be used for getting a college degree. Or someone other real student will play sports for a free education.

Make semi pro leagues like hockey and baseball does, but with all sports. Then when a kid wants to play sports instead of go to school they have an option.
No such thing as "semi-pro" You're either a professional or you're not. And if you're getting paid for your performance it's a professional sport.

But there's already leagues aside from the NFL and NBA, other sports don't matter as they don't bring in any revenue for colleges.

No such thing as "semi-pro" You're either a professional or you're not. And if you're getting paid for your performance it's a professional sport.

But there's already leagues aside from the NFL and NBA, other sports don't matter as they don't bring in any revenue for colleges.
There's a lot of anti-athlete spite out there. I think it's why getting this done has taken so long. Every time someone suggests opening up student-athletes to fewer restrictions, you see people who argue against it because they think student-athletes are undeserving of fair treatment. The argument is often painted as "if you provide them with something positive, it must come with something negative." Take away their scholarships, tax the scholarships, reduce the scholarships, etc.

I truly don't understand it. They'll be fine with the billions of dollars being made everywhere in this industry until the student-athletes themselves are mentioned. At the moment, the "spirit" of amateurism reasserts itself because student-athletes don't deserve their scholarships, don't deserve to be at the schools, etc.

Imagine a job where they hire you because you're good at math but, to keep your job, you have to perform well in music. o_O
That's supposed to be the whole point of college and literally everyone who has been has been graded for something that has absolutely nothing to do with their major. I get your point about the athlete having to keep up with two things, but at the same time on the academic side for scholarship athletes it's not much more than being able to read and write like an adult

That's supposed to be the whole point of college and literally everyone who has been has been graded for something that has absolutely nothing to do with their major. I get your point about the athlete having to keep up with two things, but at the same time on the academic side for scholarship athletes it's not much more than being able to read and write like an adult
If you got my point, you wouldn't make your last sentence a point.

My point going back multiple pages is that if you want to hold student-athletes to the standards of students then you shouldn't make athletic performance part of how they keep their scholarship.

For example: If student is in school on an athletic scholarship and suffers an injury that prevents him from ever playing again, he doesn't get to keep his scholarship based on his academic performance. No one says "Well, you're a good student but a non-entity athletically so we'll give you an academic scholarship instead."

Or when said student wants to transfer from one athletic program to another, they make him sit out for a year. Why? If it's really about academics, so long as the student is attending his classes, why can't he also participate in the sport?

Or why is there only 4 years of athletic eligibility when most students now take 5 years to graduate academically?

It's not just that the student-athlete has to keep up with 2 things. It's that they're forced to abide by stricter rules on the academic side, while the school is always making it very clear that their ability to engage in academics always comes 2nd to their athletic performance.

If schools said - you get 6 years to graduate and your athletic scholarship is only related to your academic performance (ie - your coach can never cut you from the team so long as you're on target to graduate within 6 years) and you can get a job to get some spending cash and basically do everything the same way as other students, just you also have to play sports, I'd be more sympathetic to the NCAA. But that's not what's happening.

What's happening is that people applaud their schools for paying coaches millions of dollars to recruit the best athletes, not the best students. Then when the best athletes show up to school, they get criticized for not being the best students. However, no one is dragging the low academic performance non-athletes through the mud. Yet, if the coach only recruited athletes that met the upper half distribution of the school's criteria, people would fire the coach.

People applaud that system and then say that the athletes are to blame? How? They wouldn't be in that college if not for sports, of course they're going to prioritize sports once they get there. Hence the math job analogy. If keeping your math job was dependent on how well you played music, you'd be a fool not to prioritize music over math in your free time. What's the point of focusing on math when subpar musical output means you get fired? Meanwhile a bunch of people start criticizing you for your music obsession. But they're not going to lose their opportunities for following that advice...you are.

That dichotomy is at the heart of the why the NCAA will never have my support without significant reforms.

Won't this essentially kill off football teams in poor places?

Who the fuck would wanna play for like Alabama now? I know their fanbase is huge but they're all dirt poor. No one's gonna be able to buy $200 shoes.

I'd want to play for a college in NYC, California, etc. now. And everyone will. Right now good talent is spread around. Won't the entire league's talent just concentrate on like 2-3 big name/ big market teams now?

The NBA and NFL avoid this by having a draft system and, in the NFL, salary caps. I don't think the NCAA can do that.

Who the fuck would wanna play for like Alabama now? I know their fanbase is huge but they're all dirt poor. No one's gonna be able to buy $200 shoes.

I'd want to play for a college in NYC, California, etc. now. And everyone will. Right now good talent is spread around. Won't the entire league's talent just concentrate on like 2-3 big name/ big market teams now?

The NBA and NFL avoid this by having a draft system and, in the NFL, salary caps. I don't think the NCAA can do that.

You know Alabama is the most famous team in the league right? Players there get huge exposure and are seen as the best.

You arent trying to sell jerseys to just Birmingham. You want to everywhere.

Gainesville in Florida isbt gonna sell many jerseys. Tim Tebow sure as fuck would have.

College sports rosters are limited in number, so no matter how much someone wants to play for a specific school - there are only so many spots.

Additionally, there are better sponsorship opportunities for good programs than bad ones. A good school in poor city is still going to be a better opportunity than a bottom dweller in NYC or California. Especially since marketing is worldwide via the internet.

As for parity...why does this even matter? We don't have parity now. And these are amateurs. I'll confess that I've always found the parity argument the biggest window into the hypocrisy of the conversation. This is supposed to be amatuer sports, low value stuff, secondary to academics, etc. but we still need to make sure that the amateur athletes are spread around the country for competitive balance?

Who cares if college sports are balanced when they're allegedly there to get an education?

I'll answer it myself, we care because we all know that college sports aren't amateur sports. They're as professional as any sport can be and they're big money in the gambling world. And whenever people are spending big money on something they want a better than fair chance at winning. Because no one says anything about "parity" when Alabama and Duke are recruiting a bunch of 5 star athletes and the University of Maine doesn't get any. ;)

Sounds fair to me. You still have to put in the work to make yourself famous.

Semi Pro is basically 99% of MMA fighters. You receive payments (which voids amateur status) but fighting isn't your main source of income and it is NOT your profession.

Semi-pro is definitely a real thing. It's confusing for football because in most sports the "minors" or "D-league" is semi pro (not your main source of income, working another job to make ends meet but since your technically paid you cannot ever do amateur leagues/events).

Since NFL has a monopoly the amateur NCAA is basically the minor league (which is the controversy).

Last edited:
The cringiest thing here is your constant whining about "wannabe stunnas". So who do you find acceptable to move next door to you?
Stfu you social justice warrior “wannabe”
Nothing is cringier as your shitty screen name .
Don’t quote or reply to me.

Stfu you social justice warrior “wannabe”
Nothing is cringier as your shitty screen name .
Don’t quote or reply to me.
Every post you make is some sort of bitching about people moving to your precious SoCal as if they're undeserving of living there when you contribute absolutely nothing to the state or society. Still shook about Tapout bros bullying you, TrippleOG?

Every post you make is some sort of bitching about people moving to your precious SoCal as if they're undeserving of living there when you contribute absolutely nothing to the state or society. Still shook about Tapout bros bullying you, TrippleOG?
Didn’t I just say don’t reply or quote me anymore? You should really just stick to defending all the nationalities out there.

Like you don’t know how racist Orange County is lol. White bros dont hang out with Asian boys like you and you’re sour about it.

Back