NBC Poaches Seth McFarlane from FOX for $200 Million

Madmick

Zugzwang
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Seth MacFarlane Moves From 20th Century Fox to NBCU With 5-Year, $200 Million Overall Deal
ac3294330d903fc218ca7776d76f47e3

TheWrap said:
“Family Guy” creator Seth MacFarlane is leaving his longtime home at 20th Century Fox TV for NBCUniversal Content Studios, signing a pricey five-year exclusive overall deal.

The deal is in the nine-figure range and worth around $200 million, an individual with knowledge of the deal told TheWrap. NBCU declined to comment on the value of the deal. MacFarlane’s deal with 20th Century Fox ended last summer. MacFarlane’s Fuzzy Door Productions, led by Erica Huggins, will create content across entire NBCU portfolio, including the company’s forthcoming streaming service Peacock, which launches in April.

MacFarlane’s agreement is the first since NBCUniversal’s three separate TV studios — Universal Television, Universal Content Productions and NBCUniversal International Studios — aligned under the new banner led by Bonnie Hammer. MacFarlane’s deal only covers TV, leaving him a free agent in the film space.

MacFarlane will continue to his role with “Family Guy,” as well as “American Dad” and “The Orville,” which are all produced by 20th Century Fox, now owned by Disney. “Family Guy” is renewed through next season, while “American Dad” is currently set to run through 2020 on TBS. “The Orville” moved to Hulu for its upcoming third season, which will run this year. MacFarlane’s development projects that were set up with 20th, including Hulu’s “Books of Blood” and new development at Fox, will remain with that studio.

“One of my oldest memories from Fox is of a young Seth MacFarlane hanging out in the halls of the studio. He entertained all of us with his incredible wit and hilarious observations. He is a brilliant artist and a great friend; and, there is no one we root for more than him,” said Dana Walden, Disney TV Studios and ABC Entertainment. “As a fan, I look forward to whatever he creates next, and as his studio partner on ‘Family Guy,’ ‘American Dad’ and ‘The Orville,’ I feel lucky to be continuing an extraordinary partnership.”
Goddamn, wasn't his first deal with FOX some historic figure around that same mark?

Seth is going to die a billionaire purely on the strength of his wit. Matt Stone and Trey Parker might have won the battle, but it's looking like he's going to win the war.

Surprisingly, his net worth is only around $300 million now while Matt and Trey are at $500 million each.

Good for him as long as the Orville doesn't get Star Trek'd. If it does, he can go eat a dick.

Surprisingly, his net worth is only around $300 million now while Matt and Trey are at $500 million each.

I wonder how much they make on Book of Mormon alone? That thing is a cash cow.

that hbo max deal is actually worth more money than this seth mcfarlane deal nbcu got him for cheap.

Seth MacFarlane Moves From 20th Century Fox to NBCU With 5-Year, $200 Million Overall Deal

Goddamn, wasn't his first deal with FOX some historic figure around that same mark?

Seth is going to die a billionaire purely on the strength of his wit. Matt Stone and Trey Parker might have won the battle, but it's looking like he's going to win the war.
Parker and Stone are each worth more, so they even win that "War." They win all the battles, wars, imo, of course. I find Seth terribly over rated, and am shocked that NBC would pay that much for his services.

Does anyone watch his shows anymore? I remember liking Family Guy for maybe a year around 2005 and then it’s just kind of like “oh yeah there’s the formula. Non sequitur followed by uncomfortable pause.”

Does anyone watch his shows anymore? I remember liking Family Guy for maybe a year around 2005 and then it’s just kind of like “oh yeah there’s the formula. Non sequitur followed by uncomfortable pause.”
I quit family guy a long time ago but continued to watch American dad. Then I stopped watching that a couple of years ago.

I quit family guy a long time ago but continued to watch American dad. Then I stopped watching that a couple of years ago.

Somehow American Dad is consistently funny

Family guy just kept getting worse and worse.

The Orville is on Hulu now?
That's disappointing, I was looking forward to the new season
All my dreams get crushed

So, Seth is going over there... this money he's getting, is to develop new content for NBC?

Family Guy, American Dad, Orville remain with Fox, and he would continue to work on those shows, as an employee (only) of Fox? Gives up any ownership he may have had in the shows?

I never thought he was that funny or talented but at the same time he's one of the few Hollywood types who comes off as genuinely humble and doesn't seem to overrate his own talents so I can't help but feel happy for him. He seems to know that Family Guy and American Dad aren't quality art but just massive cash cows. Plus he called out Weinstein all those years ago so he'll be mah :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: forever just for that.

I'm surprised 20th century fox didn't throw 500 million at him since they have disney money.

The Orville is on Hulu now?
That's disappointing, I was looking forward to the new season
All my dreams get crushed
it was the only reason I got hulu I don't like the hulu originals.

LOL @ NBC

What a fucking waste of money. But not surprising since they have a long history of choosingb terrible talent and driving their good talent away.

Choosing Leno over Letterman
Choosing Leno over Conan
Choosing Jimmy Fallon over anyone
Choosing Seth Meyers over anyone

LOL @ NBC

What a fucking waste of money. But not surprising since they have a long history of choosingb terrible talent and driving their good talent away.

Choosing Leno over Letterman
Choosing Leno over Conan
Choosing Jimmy Fallon over anyone
Choosing Seth Meyers over anyone

Didn't Leno dominate Letterman in the ratings?

Back