Nauru!!!!!!!!!

nicapica

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
A special treat from my favorite place on earth.

Wow that place seems like they have nothing to do

Wow that place seems like they have nothing to do
It's one of the Pacific Islands where they have extraordinarily high rates of obesity because most food cultures in those places are built around the starchy taro root, high-sugar tropical fruits, coconuts, and fatty fish. If American Samoa is any indication there is also a tremendous, untapped athletic potential. I had a thread on this from the War Room six or seven years ago, but it has disappeared. Contrary to what the news might have you believe the USA is not the most obese nation in the world. We're not even the most obese "developed" nation in the world. Nauru is actually the most obese country in the world. It's really striking when you look at the most obese nations, irrespective of size or civil/economic development, and you see how concentrated obesity is in this region. Go Google Maps Nauru-- then start zooming out:
http://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/most-obese-countries/
  1. Nauru
  2. Cook Islands
  3. Palau
  4. Marshall Islands
  5. Tuvalu
  6. Niue
  7. Tonga
  8. Samoa
  9. Kiribati
  10. Micronesia

Interesting documentary by VICE I watched last month:

@Madmick
Good post. I lived in hawaii for a while. Polynesians can be freakishly strong. Good thing they can't grapple because you ain't koing one of those stone heads

It's one of the Pacific Islands where they have extraordinarily high rates of obesity because most food cultures in those places are built around the starchy taro root, high-sugar tropical fruits, coconuts, and fatty fish. If American Samoa is any indication there is also a tremendous, untapped athletic potential. I had a thread on this from the War Room six or seven years ago, but it has disappeared. Contrary to what the news might have you believe the USA is not the most obese nation in the world. We're not even the most obese "developed" nation in the world. Nauru is actually the most obese country in the world. It's really striking when you look at the most obese nations, irrespective of size or civil/economic development, and you see how concentrated obesity is in this region. Go Google Maps Nauru-- then start zooming out:
http://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/most-obese-countries/
  1. Nauru
  2. Cook Islands
  3. Palau
  4. Marshall Islands
  5. Tuvalu
  6. Niue
  7. Tonga
  8. Samoa
  9. Kiribati
  10. Micronesia
Interesting documentary by VICE I watched last month:

The US is either the most obese developed western country or somewhere very close to the top.
The list in your post stops at 10, below is 11-15.
Its interesting that the fattest countries in the list seem to be be close US allies. Many in 1-10 are tiny islands ready to disappear because of global warming and the 11-15 are lard butt ME oil monarchies except for Jordan.

@HockeyBjj

You'll be interested to see this.
The US is either the most obese developed western country or somewhere very close to the top.
The list in your post stops at 10, below is 11-15.
Thank you for going the extra mile to verify my statement. I do enjoy being right.

Nevertheless, beyond that, it really does vary from survey to survey, and I made a thread about 6 years ago where America wasn't even Top 3 among developed countries. That thread, titled, "Newsflash to the rest of the world: You're fat as f***, too" has disappeared. Of course, it depends on which nations are defined as "developed", as the OECD is only one classification (36+1 nations); the CIA World Factbook (34 nations) is an alternative list, and the HDI (59 nations) is probably the most sensible because it is less obsessed with economic power.

It also depends on who is reporting the obesity metrics. I recall, for example, that in that report, along with multiple articles on the topic that sprouted up at the time, that Mexico (technically not a developed nation) had passed us up in rates of obesity. I thought it was the UN's annual FAO food security report, but when I looked up the most recent survey, Mexico was well below the U.S.:
http://www.fao.org/3/I9553EN/i9553en.pdf
It's a whopping 9% below us in 2016 according to this more recent report (the US went up 4% since 2012 to 37.3%, unfortunately, while Mexico is placed at 28.4%).

However, they must have passed some measure which crushed obesity in their nation, or perhaps all their fat people got killed in the drug war, because the evidence of this remains on Wiki itself:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obesity_in_Mexico#Rates_of_obesity_and_consequences
Wikipedia said:
By 2010, seven out of ten Mexicans were overweight with a third clinically obese.[1][12] Mexico ranks the most obese country in the world in adult obesity (as of 2013), and first for childhood obesity with about 4.5 million children diagnosed as such. Mexico passed the United States as the most obese country in the world.[4]
1/3rd is 33% obese, but in 2012, according to the FAO PDF above, Mexico only had a rate of 26.0% obese. The Wiki footnote provided points to the WHO, not the FAO, but historically the WHO has actually been the one reporting higher rates of American obesity relative to the rest of the world, respectively.

I just took the time to dig up this example from 2013. It looks like my memory serves me well. It was the FAO!:
CBS News: Mexico takes title of "most obese" from America
The FAO last month reported (PDF) Mexico has a 32.8 percent adult obesity rate -- just above America's 31.8 percent -- blaming increasingly industrialized agricultural production for a worldwide epidemic of both obesity and malnutrition. The Mexican rate may pale beside tiny, heavyweight countries like the Cook Islands, but it ranked Mexico the fattest, populous nation.
http://www.fao.org/3/i3300e/i3300e.pdf
That FAO report, which news outlets were picking up in 2013, when I made that thread, was reporting its 2008 figures. This means Mexico's obesity in 2012 was 6.8% below what it was just four years earlier in 2008. Yet in 2016 it is back up? Weird.

Of course, headlines like that are silly, because at the time that article was printed, the same as today, the US was not the most obese nation in the world whether discussing developed or undeveloped nations. This was especially annoying in the context of that headline, if the definition extends to undeveloped nations, as it must have, because Mexico itself is also technically an "undeveloped" nation.

Yet headlines like it had been common for some time. This was something that irked me at the time I made that thread. Why was the news so hellbent on misinforming us? I noticed fat Brits and other Commonwealthers liked to jeer about these headlines while oblivious to their own typical ignorance, and to their own lardass nations. To demonstrate; taking the HDI list of "highly developed" nations and applying them to that 2008 report:

Obesity of HDI Highly Developed Nations, 2008
  1. 42.8% = Kuwait
  2. 35.2% = Saudi Arabia
  3. 35.0% = Bahamas
  4. 33.7% = United Arab Emirates
  5. 33.4% = Barbados
  6. 33.1% = Qatar
  7. 32.6% = Bahrain
  8. 31.8% = USA
Notable Remaining Developed Commonwealth Nations:
27.0% = New Zealand
25.1% = Australia
24.9% = UK
24.3% = Canada

Obesity of HDI Undeveloped Nations, 2008

1. 71.1% = Nauru
  2. 64.1% = Cook Islands
  3. 59.6% = Tonga
  4. 55.5% = Samoa
  5. 50.7% = Palau
  6. 46.5% = Marshall Islands
  7. 45.8% = Kiribati
  8. 42.0% = Micronesia
  9. 40.9% = Saint Kitts and Nevis
  10. 34.9% = Belize
  11. 34.6% = Egypt
  12. 34.3% = Jordan
  13. 33.5% = South Africa
  14. 32.8% = Mexico
  15. 31.9% = Fiji
31.8% = USA

The USA was overall the 23rd most obese nation according to that report-- note that Tuvalu and Niue were not included. Numerous entire regions, including southern Africa (31.3%), had higher or roughly equal rates of obesity. Japan is really the only developed nation in the world that can brag when it comes to this topic. Indeed, the rest of you are fat as fuck, too.

I also notice such a wide array of discrepancies in FAO figures in such a short time between periods for countries that I suspect a fundamental change in methodology from report to report is probable.

LOL, finally, I also noticed Venezuela was at 30.8% in 2008. I bet that has gone down.
Its interesting that the fattest countries in the list seem to be be close US allies. Many in 1-10 are tiny islands ready to disappear because of global warming and the 11-15 are lard butt ME oil monarchies except for Jordan.
Funny you brought this up. I noticed another common denominator....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Member_states_of_the_Commonwealth_of_Nations

Last edited:
TL/DR version. Two fatties go at it:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back