Natural talent or dedication

I had no balance, no flexibility, no strength and smoked Newports by the truckload.
One year and a kettlebell later- thirty pounds lighter with WAY more functional strength, cardio and body conciousness. All due to dedication and a focus on improving my personal shortcomings.
Mind over matter, any day.
I still think about making a Newport patch for my gi hahaha

bjj came natural too me. Perhaps that because I did collegiate wrestling for 4 years. So manipulating someones body is not new to me. I notice others from my gym who have been there for years and can't last more then 5 minutes. I

Possibly - but also chalk it up to unlimited, time, and unlimited funds.

There are a number of guys out there who could be equally as dominate if they had the funds to never work, and take two privates a day from one of the top coaches in the country like penn did.
That's exactly my point. How did he spend his unlimited time and unlimited funds? Training. That, to me, is dedication.

Dedication does wonders. Luckily for those of us that are less naturally talented, those with natural talent typically lack the dedication to follow through, at least for long. Also, there are many avenues for a naturally athletic person to gain fame/fortune.

yes I do. I'm not naturally athletic at all...not at all, but i make myself athletic.

i honestly believe bjj is the one full contact sport in which athleticism isn't heavily required, even to excel.

In most of the big money sports, the superstars always say that their success came from working their butts off from the time they were five years old rather than talent. I suspect the same is true in grappling.

Even Einstein said that genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.

Back