natural strength??

spiderguardman

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
how come some people are just freakishly strong even though theigh don't weigh that much?
i met a guy at a sw tournamnet yesterday and even though i had to cut to make the weight he totally outmusceled me, i feel preety strong for my weight but when you face these freaks of nature it seems hopeless,

Is he a construction worker? Seriously... there's usually an explanation to someone's strength

I have a buddy who looks a lot bigger than me but I still outweigh him by close to 30 lbs.

i think a lot of it has to do with how well he uses leverage and his aggression. a guy does not have to be that strong if he knows how to use leverage and aggression with technigue of course. but there are people who are born freakishly strong and that is genetic of course, i know a few people who never lift or workout in any way that are super strong naturally

I think a fair amount of strength is genetic. Look at Matt Hughes he outmuscles most of his opponents at the same body weight. In fact, I would say he might be the strongest pound for pound fighter on the planet.

My boss is only 5' 9" and about 165 and his arms look like stove pipes but he can beat me at arm-wrestling if I don't give it 100%. I can't explain it but "naturally" he is stronger than I am especially on a pound for pound basis.

Like others said, there are several factors:

1) Body composition -- some people have more bone mass than muscle mass so are naturally heavy, some have more fat which is more equally spread around so it's not that obvious, etc. A guy with a small frame and lots of muscle will weight the same as a guy with a huge frame and little muscle.

2) Leverage -- not only do some people have better leverage through the length of the bones/insertion points and whatnot, but are far better at using it because their technique is that much better.

3) Muscle composition -- Some of the muscle size is due to having more contractile elements in the muscle (myofibril hypertrophy) and some of it due to having more liquid in the muscles (sarcoplasmic hypertrophy). The first one contributes to strength, the second doesn't

4) CNS -- strength doesn't only depend on muscle size (though it is an important factor), but also on how good your body is at using all that muscle. If your brain can't send the optimal signals to steer your muscles in unison, you won't be able to utilise all that potential strength. Well trained individuals can gain up to 30% extra strength over untrained ones through reprogramming their central nervous system. So for the same muscle mass and composition, you can be 30% stronger.

Evil Eye Gouger said:
4) CNS -- strength doesn't only depend on muscle size (though it is an important factor), but also on how good your body is at using all that muscle. If your brain can't send the optimal signals to steer your muscles in unison, you won't be able to utilise all that potential strength. Well trained individuals can gain up to 30% extra strength over untrained ones through reprogramming their central nervous system. So for the same muscle mass and composition, you can be 30% stronger.
I agree with this one through personal experience. I took Adderrall, mixed amphetamine salts, for attention deficit disorder and would notice changes in both my ability to exert strength and relax. Both capacities were improved during the duration of its effect, picking something up heavy like an iron door could be done with less effort and more relaxed effort. Workouts could be pursued until failure (far beyond where failure was without the drug) with relaxed well-being.
I am curious, what are the methods of reprogramming your central nervous system that do not involve drugs?

Burress said:
I agree with this one through personal experience. I took Adderrall, mixed amphetamine salts, for attention deficit disorder and would notice changes in both my ability to exert strength and relax. Both capacities were improved during the duration of its effect, picking something up heavy like an iron door could be done with less effort and more relaxed effort. Workouts could be pursued until failure (far beyond where failure was without the drug) with relaxed well-being.
I am curious, what are the methods of reprogramming your central nervous system that do not involve drugs?

Extreme concentration on whatever your doing.

Evil Eye Gouger said:
Lifting heavy shit.
Interesting, you seem to be a spiritual person, have you investigated the phenomenon of Kundalini energy, more specifically the Kundalini Awakening?

Burress said:
Interesting, you seem to be a spiritual person, have you investigated the phenomenon of Kundalini energy, more specifically the Kundalini Awakening?
??? I seem to be a spiritual person? Since when?

I don't believe in spiritual healing, telling future, tooth fairies or any of that crap. Training is physical and mental.

FCFighter316 said:
i dont see why u would ask that as a response to 'Lift Heavy Shit' But i have
Its a different way of looking at the same process, the different facets of strength all coming from one source, suffering. And as lifting increases more than muscles, so other things will increase muscles as increasing other things. Its a model of understanding why we always get stronger. It has a eastern bent because they made a name for it 10000 years ago, but whatever you call it, it seems to be the way things work.

Evil Eye Gouger said:
??? I seem to be a spiritual person? Since when?

I don't believe in spiritual healing, telling future, tooth fairies or any of that crap. Training is physical and mental.
Honesty seems to be the spirtitual pursuit, doesn't matter if ever word is a lie to others, but an attack on the lies within yourself is what I call spirituality. You make the straw man fallacy when you simplify spirituality in to its most ridiculous and easily assailable examples.

FCFighter316 said:
sure...i guess ur trying to make parallels b/w the 2 but lets not forget lifting is a physical aspect of life that has to do with SCIENCE
You can look at it as science, or look at it in other ways, science is a straightforward and honest look at one aspect of the activity. But like every way you look at something, its limited to a 180 degree angle in front of you. You would have to move around it to see other honest and straightforward angles. Kind of like how the snake coils about itself in the common Kundalini imagery.

FCFighter316 said:
sure ok i see ur point, but how would this help u lift?? besides getting amped which is mental anyway..
I am not positive about this, but from the Kundalini model the struggle is to have suffered enough to have broken blockades in chakras. When all the chakras, which represent different aspects of your desire and capacities, are supposedly open, every single one of them functions better. Its a far out viewpoint, but like most paradigms makes sense within itself. The idea would be that facing the most antagonizing fears within you would open up blocked potential in every activity you do. You will be more at peace (relaxed in the sense of my initial example about adderrall, except it wouldn't wear off and you wouldn't have to take anything to start it) the more you have struggled in every way.
I guess if you have tapped your strength potential to a block you are not breaking with working out, knowing that the suffering itself is a source of strength would make you try a different (and prima-facie irrelevant) approach to the same end.

I took you seriously up until you admitted your AIM SN is VegetaForce1980. Well, actually I didn't really. But that was the nail in the coffin.

HULKAMANIA said:
I took you seriously up until you admitted your AIM SN is VegetaForce1980. Well, actually I didn't really. But that was the nail in the coffin.
That's funny

Back