1. Season 7 of the International Shoop League is now active! Section A » Section B »

Natural Peanut Butter question

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by Flounder, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Flounder

Flounder Purple Belt

I've heard lots of good stuff about peanut butter (especially natural PB). What should I do with the oil on top?? Mix it back in, or pour it out to make it low fat?? Thanks in advance for the answers

2. bigdoggg

bigdoggg Yellow Belt

Why does cheap PB have oil on the top but JIFFY aint got nooone.

3. lowCofG

lowCofG Green Belt

mix it back in, if it's the natural PB. Natural PB separates like that all the time.

4. Valgarv

Valgarv Guest

Jiffy's oil doesn't seperate because of all the preservatives that are added. This is the whole reason natrual is better... it really is a pain in the ass to mix it back up though. I've taken to just eating raw peanuts.

5. Flounder

Flounder Purple Belt

I read somewhere that you should store the jar upside down. That way the oils on the bottom, when you open it.

6. mjfan12

mjfan12 Brown Belt

I love natural PB.

Mixing it in is hard, but I sometimes microwave it to soften it up, and then its easy to mix.

7. Nimrod321

Nimrod321 White Belt

I dump the whole jar into a large bowl, mix it in there, put it back in the jar, and refrigerate. It's kind of a hassle, but it mixes the PB a lot better then sticking a spoon in the jar. Once it is mixed and refrigerated, it shouldn't seperate. At least hasn't for me, but I probably use it quicker than it can seperate.

8. GreenRecon

GreenRecon Swift, Silent, Deadly

I just put it upside down and it mixes the oil back in.

9. Urban

Urban Savage Mystic

Really you should mix it back in, but I just ignore it and just reach through it with a knife. sure it'll coat your knife full with quite a bit of peanut oil, but... well who cares? ignore it and just go through it.

10. Grady

Grady Blue Belt

Skippy, Jif, and the other mega-brands blend a small amount of hydrogenated oil mixed with the PB that keeps the peanut oil from seperating. They also add sugar.

Natural is better, but it is a pain to mix it, and I always end up with drier peanut butter on the bottom of the jar.

Still, the mega brand stuff isn't bad, some have less sugar added than others, and there is this new product that advertizes no-stir that I may try next. It compares well to Smuckers natural, only slightly higher sugar (5g vs 3g): http://www.peanutbutter.com/natural.asp

The level of transfats is very low in even the mega-brands, so the main concern is the extra bit of sugar added which you avoid with the "natural" versions.

11. niagareven

niagareven Blue Belt

I don't understand why it's such a "pain in the ass" to mix the oil back in. It takes less than 2 minutes. Just stick a butter knife all the way to the bottom and keep pulling up and down and mixing it around. I never have it drier on the bottom than on the top or anything.

12. Sinister

Sinister Doctor of Doom Staff Member Senior Moderator

2 MINUTES!?!?! 2 WHOLE MINUTES!?!? Americans don't have that kind of time man, what are you crazy?

I get that kind of reaction when I tell people they should make their own protein shakes or heat some oatmeal in the microwave in the morning.

"I don't have any time for that."

"You don't have 2 minutes which includes clean-up time? You may want to free up your schedule a bit."

13. Matt Thornton

Matt Thornton Amateur Fighter

These are the same people who need to microwave Pop-Tarts.

14. bacon

bacon Silver Belt

Mix it in. If you dump it out the remaining PB will harden and you'll end up with paste. I learned that the hard way.

15. fwb

fwb White Belt

Get one of these: http://www.kitchenkapers.com/natural-peanut-butter-mixer.html

I got one sort of as a joke gift because my family makes fun of me and my "strange" food habits such as insisting on peanut butter that you have to STIR before using. But it actually works VERY well! 5-6 turns and it's mixed perfectly! All done in 20 secs, easy clean up too.

16. Chad Hamilton

Chad Hamilton Amateur Fighter

Just stick it in and pull out some raw almond butter.