1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Natural or insecurity "?"

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by abgmma, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Iroh The Dragon of the West Platinum Member

Not necessarily. Insecurity/fear will have you see threats where there are none. If TS is intimidated by guys on the street a lot of the time, I bet a good amount of those are false alarms and those guys are neither trying to intimidate him or are generally the bullying kind of type. I do agree that it's natural instinct to recognize threats, but sounds to me that that instinct is stuck in overdrive due to his traumatic past.

2. Phlog Dad Belt

You're over doing it but sure it's normal to realise that others have power over you.

We are evolved for tribal life, if you saw another human you did not recognise you'd be in a near fight or flight state.

Those that ignore it are either retarded or they are confirmed betas who would likely turn and present their arse to avoid violence.

You're smart enough to realise your own weakness. Try not to let it bother you.

3. Jumpy Invincible

Worry less about others.
    But you should always be aware of your surroundings.

Those arrogant and douche-bag looking guys are only dangerous in very few situations... while drunk and you're surrounded and alone and you have for whatever reason gathered their attention. That's about the only situation I can think of, really. The guys that try hard to look bad ass are usually made of the softest cotton.

4. LatFlare EADC

Watching a snail crawl along a straight razor.
    Sounds like you have ptsd

5. abgmma Orange Belt

I suffered from ptsd before and i went to a proffesional and told her everything i was experiencing ( about a year ago) . She said that i suffer OCD and ptsd from that same event when i was 14 years old and she prescribed me medications. Now i'm tappering off the medication because the doctor told me that ptsd has gone and ocd nearly gone about 95% . Those feelings i described, i used to feel them too much before but now i don't really care that much but i keep remembering them when i'm in a situation that reminds me of them. Before i couldn't go in any fight even if i was bullied because i used to get scared alot but now i don't care even if they were 10 i swear for that. I probably described it the wrong way by saying threatened but i asked the question because i know exactly that if you are walking alone and passing by a bunch of gangs sitting together you won't feel secure that much given that assholes are everywhere and i met many of them and know how they pick on guys because they want to show off . They start by talking words and laughing with each other when you pass by and if you responded to them they will pick the fight and if you don't you will look like a complete pussy

6. abgmma Orange Belt

Thats normal bro

7. Reyesnuthugr Dominick Reyes Belt

I think we are in basic agreement actually. I think his alarms are probably on far too sensitive a setting, so they go off far too easy, perhaps just by witnessing a single yellow flag (not even red). But I don't think they are set off for no reason at all. And I don't think it's easy to fix this instinct by just one day experimenting, trying on different attitudes.

Still don't see it as harmful to conquer it by becoming very competent at self defense. After your brain isn't intimidated, it's much easier to see things for what they are and re-calibrate from a new, relaxed, unthreatened mindset.

8. jmag Brown Belt

What's the deal with these threads lately? You guys need to watch more Kung Fu.

9. Strange King Strange Music

Thank you

10. ThatCasualFan Blue Belt

Thats probably because of your background. Since you have been bulied when you were a kid, you get ready for fight when you see someone that have traits like the ones that bullied you. You have to erase all that bullying shit, cover all holes you feel you have in you and cool down when see some dudes or someone arrogant. If they say some shit, just ignore them, you cant fall on what they are saying, youre not what they are calling you so let them keep talking trash and move on.

11. Jack Reacheround Never Go Black

I think it's the medulla oblongata. At least, that's what I remember from Water Boy.