Nates size played a huge role in his success against Conor.

Mixfight

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This first pic was taken leading up the rematch with McGregor. Nate looks almost bigger than Nick who has fought at 185 and fought a 200lb, juiced up Anderson to decision. Much bigger than a guy who fights at 145lbs. Nate has filled out a lot and isnt the same guy who tried going to 170 back in 2011. His frame is definitely suited for fighting at a higher weight class than McGregor. I think McGregor got so tired in the first fight and so tired in the second fight (briefly) because that is what happens when you carry the weight of a tough fighter from a higher weight class who's whole style is built on pressure. Nate's best moments came from Conor being tired, not because he was outclassing him with pure skill and I think a big part of that was because of the size difference.

JCVD_Nick_Nate_Diaz_Feature1-1.jpg

377409AD00000578-3751207-image-a-21_1471794773243.jpg

I am aware if two men are the same weight they are the same weight but Im talking about their frame. A guy with Nate's frame isnt fighting at 145 and a guy at Conors frame isnt going to be fighting a whole career at 170. Conor is easily a weight class smaller and that makes a huge difference in a 5 round fight against a cardio machine like Nate.

So why aren't George Roop and Stefan Struve dominating?

So basically Conor beats fighters smaller than him

Yes it did.

Also Conor's size helped him enormously at FW. That's the fight game: understanding and overcoming your opponents' advantages.

This first pic was taken leading up the rematch with McGregor. Nate looks almost bigger than Nick who has fought at 185 and fought a 200lb, juiced up Anderson to decision. Much bigger than a guy who fights at 145lbs. Nate has filled out a lot and isnt the same guy who tried going to 170 back in 2011. His frame is definitely suited for fighting at a higher weight class than McGregor. I think McGregor got so tired in the first fight and so tired in the second fight (briefly) because that is what happens when you carry the weight of a tough fighter from a higher weight class who's whole style is built on pressure. Nate's best moments came from Conor being tired, not because he was outclassing him with pure skill and I think a big part of that was because of the size difference.

JCVD_Nick_Nate_Diaz_Feature1-1.jpg

377409AD00000578-3751207-image-a-21_1471794773243.jpg

I am aware if two men are the same weight they are the same weight but Im talking about their frame. A guy with Nate's frame isnt fighting at 145 and a guy at Conors frame isnt going to be fighting a whole career at 170. Conor is easily a weight class smaller and that makes a huge difference in a 5 round fight against a cardio machine like Nate.
95% of Nate's career has been at 155, and Conor's future is at 155. Nate is not a world beater at 155, so Conor better figure out how to fight "giants" like Nate, or he needs to drop his ass back down to 145.

Conor's size played a huge role in his success against all his other opponents.

Nate and Conor are both 155ers. Nate made him tap and become a wrestler.

Fuck off with that " Easily a weight class smaller " bullshit. Both of them are natty LW.

This first pic was taken leading up the rematch with McGregor.

He's also standing in the foreground. I'm not saying that Nate isn't bigger than Conor, but Pictures prove fuck all when trying to compare size.

hi-res-998cec2e7cd616a8d06fff9751d5fdb9_crop_north.jpg

If the weight class existed Nate would probably be best at 160. That being said he was still able to make 155 3 times in 6 weeks when he was on TUF, so 155 is obviously his weight class.

Fuck off with that " Easily a weight class smaller " bullshit. Both of them are natty LW.
Both maybe lightweights, but that doesent mean there the same size. Is woodley the same size as Matt sera? Is condit the same size GSP? Is Clay guida the same size as conor? Nate is a much bigger LW who cuts more weight. You know how I know? Because Nate couldn't possibly cut to 145 because hes close to 200 pounds and would literally die.

Size is always a big advantage. It was a factor in why Conor lost.

Conor is mostly bigger than the guys he fights, and Nate was bigger than Conor when they fought. It happens on every card. Nothing special with this fight. It is still an advantage to be bigger.

Nate's a lightweight
He'd hold a similar size advantage if he and Conor competed at LW

95% of Nate's career has been at 155, and Conor's future is at 155. Nate is not a world beater at 155, so Conor better figure out how to fight "giants" like Nate, or he needs to drop his ass back down to 145.

He fought Nate at 170, which is a more advantageous weight class for Nate. If they fight at 155 it will be a fully healthy Conor vs a drained Nate. Colin would eat N8 alive if they fight at 155.

It was his chin/toughness more than anything really, able to stay in the fight no matter what McGregor hit him with and eventually Nate was able to overwhelm him.

Back