Nate Marquardt willing to fight GSP to unify belts?

Maybe since Diaz vacated the fake gold Strikefarce belt and then got defeated by Condit in the UFC (and even for those who thought Condit won, Nick is now facing Georges). So, who really believes Nate is a champ?

He's carrying the fake gold Strikefarce belt that Nick threw in the trash.

This might be the dumbest post I have seen so far on Sherdog. Are you disputing that Nate is the strikeforce ww champion? He won the title fair and square.To call a title fake, trash, etc., because someone vacated it in the past is not only extremely narrow-minded, it makes you wonder whether you are actually serious or not :icon_conf

I would love to see Nate vs GSP.

Last edited:
considering his career at MW, I think otherwise
Well yea, but since it wasn't at WW it shouldn't hold credence to his standing at 170. Plus Kampmann didn't hit his stride till long after their fight

Out of curiosity how is the Strikeforce championship any different from a UFC Interim championship? Both are awarded to a man who did not beat the champ, but none of you monkeys ever bitch about the interim champ getting a guaranteed shot against the reigning champion?

Gotta love hypocrites.

GSP is already the lineal champion.
What does that mean?!? Lineal?

It means the man who beat the man who beat he man:cool:.

Real. In boxing with so many shady organizations giving out titles, plus so many sub-weight classes it became meaningful for boxing fans to know how a "champion" got his belt. Look up how Julio Chavez jr took a belt from Sergio Martinez without fighting him as an example.

As Tony says the man who beat the man.

Means as much as MMAth, so not much at all.

GSP>Condit>Diaz
therefore GSP must be the Strikeforce title holder too.

Had a good laugh over all the people trying to explain what linear meant, when Russian AK47 was just making fun of Hellscream's typo.

What a stupid POV. I agree that the SF championship is nothing but a novelty but it is still considered a world title. Do you know what the words "disputed" and "undisputed" mean?

Aside from his misleading metaphor of leaving something behind i.e. 'Nate threw in the trash', which you seem to have taken literally, his point of view is the same point of view everyone else in the thread seems to have. Instead of being a keyboard bad ass, realize that not everyone agrees with you and that you are by yourself on this one. Sorry pal, it ain't gonna happen.

What a stupid POV. I agree that the SF championship is nothing but a novelty but it is still considered a world title. Do you know what the words "disputed" and "undisputed" mean?

anything in life can be disputed... doesn't mean the view behind it is sensible

I don't think that I'm in the minority in finding "Champion vs Champion" appealing. The current state of Strikeforce and the validity of it's new SF championship is irrelevant. He's still a champion, and a fight to unify the titles will sell well.

another exaple of what we can dispute...

Actually the GSP-Diaz fight is more of a unification bout as far as I'm concerned (altthough Condit gave both belts (+WEC) to GSP when he beat Diaz and lost to GSP if we're being linear)

Kos gave WEC linear belt back to GSP :p

Out of curiosity how is the Strikeforce championship any different from a UFC Interim championship? Both are awarded to a man who did not beat the champ, but none of you monkeys ever bitch about the interim champ getting a guaranteed shot against the reigning champion?

Gotta love hypocrites.

interim champ is from the number one contender fight normally. Strikeforce is from a different pool of fighters... often who are inferior. Would you want Tyron Woodley to fight vs GSP if he beat Nate? Nope. The only reason Nate has buzz is cos of who he is, not the belt. The belt was just a show thaat he might actually be legit at WW.

He's exciting because of what he did in Japan (Pancrase)

Kos gave WEC linear belt back to GSP :p

lol
True after Daley...
So GSP has the lineal belts for WEC, SF, UFC (and must have some other crap in there) already. So if Diaz wins he's taking home a lot of tin?

Had a good laugh over all the people trying to explain what linear meant, when Russian AK47 was just making fun of Hellscream's typo.

Had a good LOL at you thinking whatever you thought.

lin

What does that mean?!? Lineal?

In a perfect world, it means nothing, as there would never be a reason for a champion to "lose" his belt outside of a title fight. The lineal title exists when that situation does happen, when champions lose in a non-title fight (catchweight, someone missing weight, fight outside that promotion) or having their title stripped for one reason or another (failed drug test, retirement, significant injury/recovery, leaving the promotion)

For example, the path of the UFC HW lineal title;

-Mark Coleman (def Dan Severn, UFC 12)
-Maurice Smith (UFC 14)
-Randy Couture (UFC Japan, stripped of official title after contract dispute, vacant title awarded to Bas Rutten after defeating Kevin Randleman)
-Enson Inoue (Vale Tudo Japan 1998)
-Mark Kerr (Pride GP 2000 Opening Round)
-Kazuyuki Fujita (Pride GP 2000 Finals)
-Mark Coleman (Pride GP 2000 Finals)
-Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (Pride 16)
-Fedor Emelianenko (Pride 25)
-Fabricio Werdum (Strikeforce: Fedor vs Werdum)
-Alistair Overeem (Strikeforce: Overeem vs Werdum)

So, Overeem is the reigning Dream HW Champion, Strikeforce HW Champion (Cormier was only the HWGP Champ), 2010 K-1 HW Champ AND the lineal UFC and Pride (having passed from Fedor to Werdum to Overeem) HW Champion.

Interestingly Cung Le is still the Strikeforce Lineal MW champion (having lost it to, then reclaimed it from Scott Smith, losing it to Wanderlei Silva, who lost it to Rich Franklin, who then lost it to Cung Le).

GSP holds the second strain of the Strikeforce MW title (having defeated Jake Shields, who won the vacant belt defeating Mayhem Miller after Cung semi-retired) AND the WW title (defeating Carlos Condit who defeated Nick Diaz).

I don't care about the belt. It should be a really good fight. Especially as it would be five rounds.

Back