Nate Marquardt willing to fight GSP to unify belts?

its only interesting if GSP is willing to fight to unify the belts lol

would it be interesting if i was willing to unify my redneck belt with gsp? lol

What does that mean?!? Lineal?

Real. In boxing with so many shady organizations giving out titles, plus so many sub-weight classes it became meaningful for boxing fans to know how a "champion" got his belt. Look up how Julio Chavez jr took a belt from Sergio Martinez without fighting him as an example.

As Tony says the man who beat the man.

Really? Since when is unifying titles 'no biggie'?

Unifying titles only matters when both organizations are topic tier, and a title unification isn't marketable when half the fans haven't even heard of one of the titles. Strikeforce never got to that high status, and a unifying bout with the champion of a failing organization is nearly meaningless, especially when that organization has little history of success to point to.

Nate is a good fighter, and I hope his success at 170 continues, but anyone who takes his 170 belt to be in the same category as GSP's is deluding themselves.

I don't care if Nate Marquardt deserves a shot at GSP. When you're in the top 5 or top 8 or whatever, any of those guys could beat each other on any given day, so at some point, it's a toss up like standard deviation. You can't say with certainty one guy is more deserving than the other and would beat the other 10 out of 10 times.

Nah, by most people I mean most people. Champion vs champion has historically always sold well. You're in the minority here sugar.

Really? How many champ vs champ fights have we had? Rampage vs Hendo?

UFC 75 - free TV (Jackson vs. Henderson)

Hendo vs Silva?

UFC 88 - 640,000 (Liddell vs. Evans)
UFC 87 - 625,000 (Lesnar vs. Herring)
UFC 86 - 520,000 (Jackson vs. Griffin)
UFC 85 - 225,000 (Hughes vs. Alves)
UFC 84 - 475,000 (Penn vs. Sherk)
UFC 83 - 525,000 (St. Pierre vs. Serra II)
UFC 82 - 325,000 (Silva vs. Henderson)
UFC 81 - 650,000 (Lesnar vs. Mir)
UFC 80 - 225,000 (Penn vs. Stevenson)
UFC 79 - 600,000 (Liddell vs. W. Silva)
UFC 78 - 400,000 (Bisping vs. Evans)

Astronomical numbers and clearly and historically sold better than other PPVs in the same time frame.........

Think you're actually in the minority on this. Most people are excited to see Nate back in the UFC, and against some contenders at WW. But fighting for the belt is stupid, we got enough log jam in the UFC WW division.

I don't think that I'm in the minority in finding "Champion vs Champion" appealing. The current state of Strikeforce and the validity of it's new SF championship is irrelevant. He's still a champion, and a fight to unify the titles will sell well.

Unifying titles only matters when both organizations are topic tier, and a title unification isn't marketable when half the fans haven't even heard of one of the titles. Strikeforce never got to that high status, and a unifying bout with the champion of a failing organization is nearly meaningless, especially when that organization has little history of success to point to.

Nate is a good fighter, and I hope his success at 170 continues, but anyone who takes his 170 belt to be in the same category as GSP's is deluding themselves.

Good point, but newbies don't know anything and will believe whatever an animated Joe Rogan says, so Champ vs. Champ could boost mainstream fan PPV buys.

Really? How many champ vs champ fights have we had? Rampage vs Hendo?

UFC 75 - free TV (Jackson vs. Henderson)

Hendo vs Silva?

UFC 88 - 640,000 (Liddell vs. Evans)
UFC 87 - 625,000 (Lesnar vs. Herring)
UFC 86 - 520,000 (Jackson vs. Griffin)
UFC 85 - 225,000 (Hughes vs. Alves)
UFC 84 - 475,000 (Penn vs. Sherk)
UFC 83 - 525,000 (St. Pierre vs. Serra II)
UFC 82 - 325,000 (Silva vs. Henderson)
UFC 81 - 650,000 (Lesnar vs. Mir)
UFC 80 - 225,000 (Penn vs. Stevenson)
UFC 79 - 600,000 (Liddell vs. W. Silva)
UFC 78 - 400,000 (Bisping vs. Evans)

Astronomical numbers and clearly and historically sold better than other PPVs in the same time frame.........

To be fair Henderson was coming off a loss when he fought Silva and had lost a considerable amount of steam by the time that fight came about. And the fact that his unification bout against Rampage was on free tv doesn't mean it doesn't count. Would it not have done better than most of the ppvs that you listed had it been on pay-per-view as well?

Marquardt via epic 20 hit Killer Instinct combo

Anyone remember the soundtrack that came with the game? Still have that...

IMG_20120313_105522.jpg

what's the 2nd UFC belt?
Does Hendo not have a belt then? Cos u'd think u get to keep a copy of the belt? How else would Rampage have one?

Interested - always wondered how it works...

To be fair Henderson was coming off a loss when he fought Silva and had lost a considerable amount of steam by the time that fight came about. And the fact that his unification bout against Rampage was on free tv doesn't mean it doesn't count. Would it not have done better than most of the ppvs that you listed had it been on pay-per-view as well?

But according to you, it doesn't matter if he was coming off a loss. It is champion vs champion after all, and that sells. Right?

Thankfully for myself I don't consider it on the level of GSP's belt and have actually argued the contrary multiple times in this thread. But some of you are completely ignoring the point. It's still champ of the premier org vs champ of the second biggest org of the same weight class. That still means something.

But according to you, it doesn't matter if he was coming off a loss. It is champion vs champion after all, and that sells. Right?

According to me it doesn't matter if he was coming off a loss? Point out to me where I said anything even remotely similar to that.

Being a big fish in a small pond doesn't make NM a credible threat to GSP. Hell, im pretty sure he doesnt even have a top 10 win at 170

a real challenge for GSP finally if it were to happen

Thankfully for myself I don't consider it on the level of GSP's belt and have actually argued the contrary multiple times in this thread. But some of you are completely ignoring the point. It's still champ of the premier org vs champ of the second biggest org of the same weight class. That still means something.

It would have meant something back when SF was it's own entity. Now it's just a Zuffa puppet company about to fold. UFC already stripped out all the champions (besides Melendez) that they wanted for potential title fights. In fact, I'd say it's exactly that, the only potential champ vs. champ after SF closes up is Gil.

According to me it doesn't matter if he was coming off a loss? Point out to me where I said anything even remotely similar to that.

You are implying that even though you feel the title is a joke, the fact it is labeled "titled vs title" will sell itself. The fact that UFC fans don't know shit about SF doesn't matter. That all the marketing power comes from "champ vs champ". That fans don't care about actual records and only the fact you slap the word "unification" on the match. I have shown you this is not true.

The reason Hendo/Silva didn't sell is the new UFC fans didn't know shit about Pride or Dan Henderson. Zero fucks were given about it being for unifying the belts. Same with Silva vs Henderson. That figtht only outsold the shit headline PPVs.

It unifies into the UNDISPUTED UFC (add weight division here) Championship. I would LOVE to see GSP vs Marquardt. Would be a great fight. We first have to see how Marquardt does against Saffiedine later this month.

lets be honest... GSP is already undisputed UFC WW Champion. Marquardt only fought one fight to get his belt (which was a vacant championship left behind by Diaz). GSP has defended for years against the best of all time. And if you need other orgs belts to be undisputed he'd have to fight the Belator etc guys.

Unifying belt sis important, but means little if the other guy has only fought one bout for it. I think the fact that Nate is a great fighter former 3x King of Pancrase and former MW #2 make him more exciting to watch vs GSP than the unification bout.

Actually the GSP-Diaz fight is more of a unification bout as far as I'm concerned (altthough Condit gave both belts (+WEC) to GSP when he beat Diaz and lost to GSP if we're being linear)

Back